This sucks

Started by sadness, September 17, 2005, 03:21:55 PM

Ok, I am writing this on dial up which sucks. Also, you cant play armageddon on dial up properly. I am on dial up because i changed my satelite provider and they canceled my internet!!! I ASKED TO KEEP IT! Now i am stuck with dial up until thursday, which I cant play arm on. I want to play armageddon so bad. I AM SOOOOO BORRED.

Doesn't really matter right now, because Armageddon is down for maintanence anyway.
*blank* hmms to himself, carefully peeing across the ground.

Quote from: RaesanosI want to kill everyone.

Many people play Arm on dial-up without too much hassle.  Just not on Saturdays.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Why can't you play Arm on dial-up?  We're talking hundreds of characters in a screen over a modem that should do 5.6k/s or whatever.

Though it shames me to admit it, I remain on dialup. :(

Satellite providers are shit-tastic Internet providers, from my experience. I used the local satellite company's DSL for about a week before I realized it was even worse than the tiny hillbilly hometown cellular company's dialup that I had been previously using.

It is possible to Arm with dialup. I do it all the time.

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I had dial-up for years until we got a T1.  Dial-up's not that bad for MUDs, in fact with the room-walking lag and associated skill/spell lag on Armageddon (that is not always the case with other MUDs that are combat/hack-n-slash intensive) it's almost ideal.

I say almost because dial-up still sucks.  You can use it though.
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

I currently have roadrunner (it's given a lot of problems in the past though)

I await the day when I assemble my own computer from the miss matched old parts sitting in my basement. Complete with the 5.6 baud modem, or whatever it is. I think it'll be perfect for arm.
I'll make it my arm computer. :)
Veteran Newbie

Dude, you don't need supercomputer top secret dr.X

Its text rolling down your screen

I use dial up. It's not hard at all to play with dial up. I even have it going at 28.8 kbps sometimes, and even then it's very playable, almost the same speed as high speed when I get to use that.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

"Blinding, biting sand swirls around you" is just nature's way of saying....
GET YOUR FILTHY ASS OFF MY DESERT!

:twisted:
-Naatok the Naughty Monkey

My state of mind an inferno. This mind, which cannot comprehend. A torment to my conscience,
my objectives lost in frozen shades. Engraved, the scars of time, yet never healed.  But still, the spark of hope does never rest.

Quote from: "Thunder Lord"What is Dial up?

Its like cave-man internet... they call it dail-up to be nice and not insult the hamsters powering their computers

Any reliable connection will work fine for MUDding.  A few years ago I was using 386sx with a 28.8 modem, and it worked fine.  Well, it worked fine as long as you just wanted to MUD, if you wanted to try to MUD, browse the web, check your email and newsgroups at the same time things could get unpleasant.  You could even MUD with a 286 or XT using whatever dial up modem was compatable with them, though you might have to use vanila telnet because it could be difficult to find a compatable client.  For a while I MUDded from school on one of those old apple computers, the ones with the tiny built-in black and white screen, and it worked just fine.  The game is more than 10 years old, that means that it works with equipment that was in common use more than 10 years ago (at least on the client side).

The key is reliability.  I once had an "unlimited-but-not-24/7" dial-up account that would automatically disconnect you every 4 hours whether the connection was active or not.  It was irritating durring long MUD sessions, I had to keep track of the clock and find a convinient moment to disconnect and reconnect sometime durring the 3rd hour.

Currently I have a fairly fast but unreliable connection.  My mother lives in the same apartment building that I do, but 3 floors below mine.  She got an ADSL home networking kit, and thought it would be nifty for me to join her network wirelessly instead of using my old dial-up connection.  I gave it a try and at first things seemed to work alright, I bought a high gain antennae to help get the signal through the three floors.  But sometimes my site survey finds as many as 12 wireless networks within range of my computer.   :roll:  It turns out mom's router is defective, and can't be moved off of channel 6, and 8 of the networks in range run on channel 6, causing interferance and general suckiness.  Sometimes it will disconnect and reconnect every few minutes, which is mildly annoying for web browsing but completely unacceptable for MUDs.  So next week I'm going to re-activate dial-up account, because reliability is much more important than speed.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

pron makes the game somewhat slower too.

The first mudding I did was on a dumb terminal connected via a 2400 baud modem using Dephi.  The cost 30.00/month for 20 hours of time.

Oh, and when I was a kid I walked to school through snow, 3 miles a day, uphill both ways.   :mrgreen:
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

I started mudding on an XT II Turbo, 1200bps. The monochrome monitor was gold on black. My eyes bled.

Bah.  I don't think I've ever played -not- on dial up.  And raw telnet.  That's how to do it the hardcore (read: technophobic) way.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House