A personal annoyance and request about elves...

Started by Hexxaex, September 13, 2005, 08:05:24 PM

Stop making your elves 90 inches tall.

I know elves are tall, but every second PC elf I see is a maxxed 90 inches, and it's really getting old.  Even ones who are 18 years young are all height-maxxed, and please, aren't we trying to strive for realism?

Thanks for listening, and perhaps considering.[/u]
*blank* hmms to himself, carefully peeing across the ground.

Quote from: RaesanosI want to kill everyone.

I compensate by making all my elf PCs the minimum possible height.

And while you're at it, stop being twinks!
subdue thread
release thread pit

They are focusing stats. Give them a break.  :wink:

90 inches isn't that bad.  In Darksun the max height for elves was 105 inches.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

It isn't up to you as to how they are going to play their elves, it is up to them.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Why is this a problem?
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

i always assumed the range for the races was a min/max, and the middle was average.

if the vast majority are max height, it skews the average as far as PCs go.

kind of annoying, but not much you can do about it.

kind of like complaining about F-mes.

Quote from: "Agent_137"kind of like complaining about F-mes.

I bet the people who complain about F-mes on the GDB are the same people not getting F-me'ed by the F-mes.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Hmmm, and I always thought I was twinking out my elves by making them min weight and min height.  Good to know I wasn't!  :P
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

I'm almost certain that height does not affect stats.  And yes, the only real way to "twink out" height on an elf would be always picking min height to make them harder to identify as elves with a passing glance.  Once I saw a rather short elf, who walked around hooded all the time, with -no- mention whatsoever of being an elf in his mdesc.  No pointed ears, no long neck, no word "elf," nothing.  I mailed mud, but he didn't last long after that anyway.

I personally really like the 90 inch elves that decide to sneak around and as one enters the room you see, the extremely tall figure in the -such and such- cloak stealthily moves west. Ok, Capt. Obvious.. no you really aren't the -tallest- guy in the room.

Not that I have ever cared, I just always thought the image of it funny. Some big and lanky guy who is at least a head and a half taller than everyone in the room slinking along the wall, trying to make himself invisible, or crouching down amongst the crowd. Sometimes I wish they would emote it just for a laugh.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Ugh... I think I am one of the guilty ones at this.

It just goes out of the blue, I mindlessly enter 90 for no reason.  Usually weight too, I just enter the average for the weight though.

Anyway.. I did not think it would be annoying.  Since I see it is, I will be careful in the future.  Promise.

P.S:  For the record, I don't believe height and weight affects stats.
some of my posts are serious stuff

On any of my chars (no matter the race), I've always put in a funky number that matched my char's desc.

Quote from: "The Fang Oracle"...matched my char's desc.

Logically, if you picture your character as one of the tallest elves in the Known World, then having her 90 inches tall is fine. Otherwise, have it be at least somewhat realistic. I think topic goes in hand with the thread on having short or tall in the sdesc or description and assessing the character to find out that she's very tall or very short (respectively) codedly.
Here is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen.  -   Sean O'Faolain

1) The mamallian pack instincts of we domesticated primates to admire alpha and pick on omega that I think  boil over into fantasy settings.

2) One skill I can think of seems to work better with taller PCs. Perhaps there are others that work better if you're small, and maybe I'm straight out wrong, but that's my observation.

I imagine those two things are large factors in the choice.
Amor Fati

Once upon the time I was not VNPC, but a looser just like you with a need of player and PCs to be in game. Thus not so long ago I had an elf of average (82 inches) height. I checked his history to see that out of 15 other elven PCs I've encountered 3 were "short", 5 were "tall" and 7 were your average hooded figures. Now, that does not look like something extraordinary to me, even if all those tall fellows were exactly 90 inches tall, which (unlike OP) I have no means to know.

Considering that PC population changes fast, I do believe that Hexaex is less fortunate than me and got swarmed by a horde (how many of them were by the way? Two? Or...three!?) 90-inched elves who indeed abuse commonly known fact that.maxed height makes your character's wagonmaking_skill unstoppable. But come to think about it:

Quote from: "Help race_elf"They are taller than humans--mostly standing between around 75 and 90 inches in height.

It seems to me 90 inches is no exception, its just highest plank of what is considered common and IMO should not attract much attention from bystanders ICly and I still fail to see why any given player should avoid setting maxed height for any race OOCly. That's unless you feel yourself falling victim of conspiracy to drive you mad, plotted by 90-inch fetishists. But if it's the case then I'd suggest you to call 911 and cc mud@.

Though I have no problem with 90-inch tall elves and haven't seen that many either, 90 inches for an elf is hardly the norm, just like every Earthling human isn't as tall as most basketball players.

The average height for an elf is around 82 inches.  90 is very tall, 75 is very short, and that's it.

If you think a player is twinking, email the MUD.  That's all.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "Anybody"
If you think a player is twinking, email the MUD.  That's all.

Um, wah? Picking any height over another height is twinking? I thought it was creating a character.

Stop making your dwarves so damn short, bald or muscular!

Stop making your half-breeds so damn filthy!

Stop making your humans so damn... Human!

Stop being snotty knitpickers, because being a snotty knitpicker makes baby Halaster cry.

And you! You're too... fucking..... blond!
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Quote from: "bloodfromstone"And you! You're too... fucking..... blond!

Exactly.

Quote from: "Larrath"Though I have no problem with 90-inch tall elves and haven't seen that many either, 90 inches for an elf is hardly the norm, just like every Earthling human isn't as tall as most basketball players.

The average height for an elf is around 82 inches.  90 is very tall, 75 is very short, and that's it.

Well, it's just matter of perception. Not to argue ferociously, but notice that in my example none of those elves were very/extremely  tall, not to mention gigantic.
8 inches of difference is just about 10% of  "my" height. I don't really see a reason for finger pointing, head turning and calling all your friends to look at the natural wonder like that.
For me, your average necker, they were just that: tall elves, no less and no more.

I think a particularly tall elf would be treated even worse by humans than a normal one. Not just a freak, but an -extra- freaky-looking one.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

It takes more guts to play a medium-short character.

Also high on the guts meter, close to the Mucho Gutso Grande, is to intentionally play an awesome character who is, unfortunately, a crappy sad-sack lover between the sheets... and who will only get worse.  It takes a special kind of person to enjoy the no-holds barred entertainment this scenario can provide.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Touche'!  I would love to find out which one you are, heh!  Contact me, okay?