Stopping a fight: The Poll

Started by Oxidised Lizard, September 11, 2005, 07:49:41 AM

Should a command for stopping a fight without fleeing be implemented?

Yes - this is a great idea
31 (50.8%)
Yes, but it's low-priority
21 (34.4%)
Maybe / don't mind
3 (4.9%)
No
6 (9.8%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Voting closed: September 11, 2005, 07:49:41 AM

Should there be a command for stopping a fight without fleeing to another room?  Read the 'Stopping a fight' thread for a discussion of the idea.  This question refers to when you're the main combatant, so you can't type 'disengage'.

I think this discussion has been brought up numerous times, and has been noticed.

I don't think redoing the discussion, and adding on a poll, will make any difference.

I don't think if everyone resoundingly voted 'YES!  PUT IT IN NOW!', that would make it high priority whatsoever.

I don't think immortals probably appreciate having post after post after post on the same thing bugging them that people want something, especially considering it's not really that big of a deal in the first place.

I -do- think that if there are plans to put it in, they've already been made, and more posts won't do much to hurry it.

I do think I didn't bother to read the 'non-poll' post because I've seen so many posts like it, even in the past four or five months.

I do think this is a completely pointless thread and discussion at this point.

Those are my choices for the poll.  I click on the bubbles next to all of them.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I concur Doctor.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Do you concur?
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

Quote from: "Agent_137"How else can you train flee while merely sparring?

Its not all about training skills.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: "Yokunama"

No, but sparring is...at least that's why you are doing it IC.

I hadn't thought of it before, but now that it was brought up I'm with Maybe and Agent.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Well, then, in my opinion, you're thinking too much about raising skills, and too little about realism.  Realistically, you wouldn't train on running away from a fight while merely sparring.
Given the choice between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I would have the courage to betray my country." - E. M. Forster

Quote from: "Nyard"Well, then, in my opinion, you're thinking too much about raising skills, and too little about realism.  Realistically, you wouldn't train on running away from a fight while merely sparring.

I agree with you, Nyard. You would have some security thinking that the other person with the sparring weapon(s) in their hands would have the brains to stop.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: "Nyard"Well, then, in my opinion, you're thinking too much about raising skills, and too little about realism.  Realistically, you wouldn't train on running away from a fight while merely sparring.

True I suppose. Then again...realistically we wouldn't be riding giant bugs and lizards around and worrying about mages destroying the world either or half-giants, halflings, dwarves, elves and alot of other things aren't realistic either.
The game doesn't have to be 100% realistic in all aspects obviously in order to be playable or fun. You aren't intentionally training flee by the way, it's just a helpful side effect of the fact that you have to flee from a fight even when training.

I don't know about you but I've never rp'd it that I was actually running from the fight during training and most people don't. You rp it as if you are stepping back. I don't see how this is big enough of a deal to merit extra coding when it can be rp'ed out easily and you get the benefit of a bit of practice escaping a fight.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

wtf yes.
skill maxxing FTW.

I agree with you, Nyard. You would have some security thinking that the other person with the sparring weapon(s) in their hands would have the brains to stop.

That's assuming you aren't afraid of your Sergeant or whoever is training you.

The buff, burly Sergeant says to the gathered recruits, "Alright maggots, today we're going to learn how to save yer asses from a fight in an orderly manner, so if we gotta run from somethin' things won't go all to shit."

The buff, burly Sergeant demonstrates some techniques for making an ordered retreat blah blah blah.

The buff, burly Sergeant wields a vicious looking club.

The buff, burly Sergeant says to the scrawny recruit "Alright, yer first, an' I ain' gonna hold back, so'f ye weren't payin' attention yer likely t' get yerself killed."

Definitely very easy to roleplay out teaching someone to flee correctly. :)

And once people know the proper techniques, they can still practice how to back off orderly in normal sparring matches, the same way they can fight someone while knowing the other guy (probably) doesn't intend to kill them.
subdue thread
release thread pit

Quote from: "jhunter"
True I suppose. Then again...realistically we wouldn't be riding giant bugs and lizards around and worrying about mages destroying the world either or half-giants, halflings, dwarves, elves and alot of other things aren't realistic either.

Would it really be?

Would you really learn how to get away from life threatening situations, when you and the other guy aren't really trying to kill each other? Aren't they just trying to get through sparring with no bruises or something?

I still don't see a problem, but hell. Either way works.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime