Who art thou? (referring to other characters)

Started by dg, September 09, 2005, 04:18:00 PM

Been playing arm almost 2 weeks now, really like it.  One question/idea I wanted to put out there though is the issue of how other characters are referred to.

1)Suppose I see a "wobbly headed elf" whose name is Al Yankovich, and is wearing a hooded styrofoam cloak.  Not an everyday occurence in arm, but you never know.  then I can refer to this person as
a)wobbly
b)Yankovich
c)styrofoam
How can I know IC if it's wobbly or Yankovich under that coat?  Unless I saw him put it on, I shouldn't be able to test this by typeing l wobbly or l Yankovich.
2)Suppose I've seen wobbly before, and know what he looks like (let's say for the sake of argument that his 1/2 his description rambles on senselessly about the fineries of his muscle tissue).  Then I see him in the desert in a styrofoam cloak, and look at him, maybe to see what condition he's in.  Then poof! I get his description and know who it is.  Even if I haven't met him, then while I don't get a keyword for him, I can remember his desc and identify him later in the bar.
3)Has anyone ever proposed not allowing a name to be used as a reference?  If I lie about my name, and someone tries to tell or look me with my fake name, he knows ooc that I lied.

Granted these can be mostly resolved by staying vigilantly pure to the IC/OOC distinction, but still...

When people are wearing a hood up I think it depends on the situation. Technically if you know Weird Al and know that cloak, it would make sense that you would walk up to him and say Hi. It might not be him though. I can think of a few times I've seen someone wearing a hoody or something that would identify them as a friend of mine, only for them to turn around and then I know I was wrong. I've also done that in game where  have known a person to use a certain emote, and wear a certain cloak, only to walk up to them, emote waving and then look at the ldesc to find out it was someone else.

*shrug*
Sometimes I feel less like an immortal and more like a drug dealer.

Quote from: "dg"3)Has anyone ever proposed not allowing a name to be used as a reference?  If I lie about my name, and someone tries to tell or look me with my fake name, he knows ooc that I lied.

that's why you can add fake names/nicknames to your characters keyword list at creation... if at that time you already know you will use a fake name sometime in game, that is...

though you could always petition up top have a fake name that you take some time in game added to your keyword list, if it turns out to be important..
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

For #3, you can always wish up and e-mail the Mud asking for a fake name to be added to your keyword list.  Also, I sometimes add a few extra names at char creation just in case my character ever needs to make up a fake name on the spot I can use one of those.