Thank you very much

Started by Thunder Lord, September 07, 2005, 12:36:33 PM

It's not silly as in it doesn't make sense to be doing that. It just seems like it's an action that wouldn't need to be reaffirmed more than once.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Yeah, but you don't just stare at someone when you listen, eyes growing increasingly glassy.  What are your eyes doing?  Eye contact is an important part of listening, in our culture at least.  But it isn't constant, people look away.  Their gaze gives away clues to what they think about what they are hearing.  The eyes are the window to the soul for a reason.  Use them!

Good suggestion. I'm trying to break away from constantly nodding, so I'll definitely add that to the list of things to try out.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

emote reads this thread, his eyes growing increasingly glassy.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Once I had an elkrosian gemmer.. According to his element, he was supposed to be very very quick in speaking, faster than most people and he was used to jumping from one topic to another, just like hyperactive teenagers do.
And there was one of the folks I spoke to. I remember once asking her a question, then speaking about a topic to her, then turning to another person and having a quick chatter. Just after those, she sent the mud a two and a half lines long emote.
What did I do? I had to ignore it.. I was facing the other man then.
Please, if you're having difficulty finding the locations of the keys on the keyboard, start with simple emotes. As you get faster, you can longer emotes.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Quoteemote reads this thread, his eyes growing increasingly glassy.

em wanders off, muttering.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

As long as they don't take ten minutes (I tend to take up to four minutes for a very long emote, personally) for each emote and treat the environment correctly, I think flowery emotes are good.  I mean, what's the alternative?  Sitting at the bar idling and 'looking' at people who come in and actually try to emote and make them feel stupid for trying?

Yes, excessiveness is bad, but idling is worse.  And while idleness can spread in a room like some disease (I'm sure everyone remembers sitting in some tavern for over an hour with four PCs around and doing nothing), people who DO emote encourage other people to move a little.

I've run into four very flowery emoters I believe, and though I don't know their players, I still hold them in very high regard.
If you think you can do better emotes than what those 'flowery idiots' are doing, please show your superior ability the next time there's a bunch of people stuck idling in a tavern.

And I swear to God, the next time someone looks at me with no emote and then idles again after I try to emote, I will kill that player.  Grrr.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "CRW"Four minutes dude?

I don't know about you guys, but if you're a slow typer, I'd much rather you just respond with something short and sweet in a reasonable amount of time rather than something fanastic but takes 4 minutes.  Even 1 minute is pushing it.. have you ever tried to hold a conversation with someone that takes 1 minute in between responses?
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

I read a log of a character of mine and a two - four minute emoter.  It was fun.

Starts with X's awesome say / emote.

Followed by about a dozen speculative thinks on my char's part on why X takes so long to speak.

Another of X's awesome say / emotes.

Followed by about fifteen speculative thinks about, more or less, the same thing.

Well... I'm happy to say that X is now a much faster typer and his emotes are still as wonderful.

Don't forget that 10 minutes in real life is an Hour IG.
So if you are typing one emote/say in 4 minutes, that is half a damn hour.
OOC, I'll respect you for trying. IC, I am going to ignore you.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime