Living on the Razor's Edge

Started by Synthesis, September 03, 2005, 02:03:04 AM

I've played up into sixty-odd characters over the years, of all shapes, sizes and guilds, and something just occurred to me:

It seems like the most exciting time to play a character is when it's new, when every move you make is a risk, and every decision you make could mean the difference between life and death.  I think this is one of the main reasons why I've tended to shy away from clans over the years...playing just isn't as much fun when you're not laying anything on the line.

For the first few days you play a loner, you have to rely on your wits and every last bit of knowledge you've managed to scrounge up from your dozens of failed attempts at surviving...and sometimes you have to close your eyes, say a prayer, roll the dice, and hope Whira is on your side.  As far as I've seen (and I've seen a lot, in almost eight years of playing), nothing a clan has to offer can compare to this nerve-wracking, but ultimately more satisfying sort of existence.

Yes, sometimes you bite the dust...but sometimes, all the gambling pays off...and boy, is it worth it.  To know that you've faced the wrath of the desert, looked the harsh landscape that is Zalanthas in the eye and kept pushing on, and thrived on the danger...that, to me, is the ultimate satisfaction.

Now, I'll admit, after those first few, precious months, survival becomes more of a chore than a challenge.  You begin to fall into an easy pattern where food and water aren't any more than an afterthought, and boredom begins to set in.  Which is why I find myself falling into a pattern when I play new characters, these days:  for the first several months, I go it alone, wherever I happen to be, and if I survive, I'll join a clan and settle into long-term plots and roleplay.

But ah, those first few months!

Does anyone else feel this way?
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

yeah when i first sign up for a new pc i get really excited and throw out two-line emotes and play really well for like the first 24 hours....then after that its all downhill, i get bored, and i resort to ooc temptations, twink out, die, and make another PC!
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

Yep. Best way to cure this is to be the one in the clan that can do their job, but everyone else -HATES-. You will have a fun an exciting time and so will those around you. You may not live all that long...but it's alot of fun on both sides.

Yes - most of the time (with one or two exceptions) I love the first fews days of playing my characters more than the rest.

But then - when I played AD&D (back in the days before WOC) I enjoyled levels 1-10 the most.  

All that said, for me a successful character is one that I can transfer that feeling of new character satisfaction into a continued enjoyment of a character over the long term.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

I am with synth, I love the loner types that either die without anyone ever even knowing they existed, or being that guy that can show up and be added to a plot instantly and make changes even the center for a small period of time.. then is halaster isn't involved.. you can leave and disappear again into loner heaven.

I say all this but recently I have been giving clans a try, my most recent one in the north was actually a little fun so I am going to try it again. Although I find another reason is if your alone you cna write you own adventure however you wish, if your in a clan it can get tedious if your not being supported (that was a hint to you people with leadership roles, please use the roles to create adventure for those below you. If I ever manage to get one you better believe I will forget my current pc except as an after thought and focus on creating a life for those below me.[ I already have some sinister ideas  :twisted: ] )

as usualy I make my 5 am excuse to please ignore typos I never pay attention to what I am typing and even less then never at 5 am lol
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

There can be a great deal of excitement in clans.
Be the excitement.

If you play an aide in a noble house, go manipulate the nobles to throw a party with all the things you want.  Or discredit (rather than murder) the other aides and your superiors in order to climb up the House ladder.
Hell, even arrange for some noble to die just because they said something nasty to you.
If you play a noble, go on ahead and destroy the entire world until you are the single only option for the new House Senator.  If the fellow PC nobles in your House are well-played and intelligent, you're going to have one hell of a thrill.
If you play an elf, go set up that one big stroke and squeeze a noble/templar/merchant for every last 'sid that they have and then some.
If you play a hunter, go on a hunting expedition to look for some rare kind of creature, and don't forget to let the other players and the staff know in advance so it can become a nice RPT.
If you play a crafter, threaten and intimidate your competition.  Buy some templars, buy some elves, and kill some Salarrs.
If you play a half-giant, go find some new behavioral patterns.  Half-giants are always changing, and they don't have to always mimic just one single person.  Copy a templar -and- a 'rinthi!
If you play a half-elf, go on some mood swings.  Put it all on the line.  Be mean and distant and depreciative to those two people in the whole world who are willing to be your friends.
If you play a dwarf, find a new twist to your focus.  Even "be the best warrior that ever lived" can be done in some very exciting ways.
If you play a bard, go make people do social gatherings that just fit your latest song.  Stuff the other bards' clothes with itching sand and mul mix.

There are tons of things to be done.  However, yes, most characters that live past 10 days tend to have no problem surviving as far as food and water go.  So take other chances and dare.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Most of my characters who acomplish anything are much better rememberd AFTER their death then when alive (on the odd occasion that I hear such comments).
As the great German philosopher Fred Neechy once said:
   That which does not kill us is gonna wish it had because we're about to FedEx its sorry ass back to ***** Central where it came from. Or something like that."

It's like owning your own buisneiss. You break out in a paranoid sweat, freaking over the what if's. its awesome....Then having established interaction and such is great too.

I like dieing when I think my PC is invincible. In mind, spirit, or strength.
Being invincible takes a while so.. long lived characters are fun.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

glad to hear that, my friend, since i recall just that happening to one of your old boys.

Myself, I enjoy the matured point in a character's life. The riskiness of early life is fun, but the power of age is excellent, too. Be nice if i could get back there . . . lately I've been having too much fun on the "edge" and losing characters rapidly.