paralyzed

Started by not logged on purpose, August 22, 2005, 05:55:11 PM

Could it be done that you can do some more stuff when paralyzed? At the moment you can neither toggle nosave on today, nor read helpfiles, nor emote a little twitching or eyes moving, nor break off a contact... My character died a worthwhile death (yea, an interesting one, too  :D ) but some interaction possibilities from my side would have been nice, both for me and the others involved, I think... (none of the players really get anything out of me spamming thinks to no end).
I don't know if it's codedly possible and how big the effort is, but exspectially that nosave thing would be nice.

Been a while since I was paralyzed, but I know the code was changed for mortally wounded and stunned, you can emote with those now, so it should be doable for paralyze as well.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

being able to use the way would be nice, too... If the poison works on paralyzing your muscles, not your brain, that is. Again, just under the assumtion that it's doable.

Not emoting, that's the whole point of paralysis, you can't move.

The Way, I suppose it depends on the cause or how they work.

But ooc'ly based things, like  helpfiles.. I'd like to see that.

Nosave is tricky, as it involves purposefully letting yourself not resist.

Staff input might be helpful.

Proxie
For those who knew him, my husband Jay, known as Becklee from time to time on Arm, died August 17th, 2008, from complications of muscular dystrophy.

I don't think being paralyzed, which I've never been, should stop you from using psi skills, thinking or yes, reading helpfiles and the like.  I'd stop short of twitching only because there's little you can do beyond emote about what's going on around you since you can't move and that's all outside of your control anyways.

But being able to contact/psi would be nice since I've never associated being paralyzed with being put into a temporal stasis.

When paralyzed you I know you can look, and therefore...Emote via the look emote. Pretty sure you can think as well.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

CRW wrote:
QuoteI'd stop short of twitching only because there's little you can do beyond emote about what's going on around you since you can't move and that's all outside of your control anyways.
OOC i hav smelling salts in my pakplz
EMOTE pintz to hiz his rough leather bakpakc an sez in his lseep "gte the salt"";
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Quote from: "FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit"OOC i hav smelling salts in my pakplz
EMOTE pintz to hiz his rough leather bakpakc an sez in his lseep "gte the salt"";

Abuse is almost never a good reason to determine whether or not to allow something if you ask me.  The type of people who aren't afraid to 'ooc' about thinks like that to each other probably already know each other and have AIM going so the can avoid having their cheating being logged.

look elf slapping !elf completely senseless with a barrage of kung-fu expertise.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

QuoteOOC i hav smelling salts in my pakplz

I don't know if smelling salts would even work.
They couldn't get my backpack for some reason (another thing that's just..ugh..) so even if you did that it mith be useless.
And there should still be little things you can do... eye movements, a little twitching, some whimpering with aour mouth closed... whatever. You can emote over looks but first that's just gettong around not being able to use eotes so you might be able to use emotes as well... second thing is that you need to look at someone every time.

It's sad that no one got the Baobob reference.
Sorry for the derail.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Hey I got it! That crazy little dwarf...
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Quote from: "FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit"It's sad that no one got the Baobob reference.
Sorry for the derail.

Heh, I got it... Baobob is the shiznit!  I love that comic. (somewhere in original submissions... funny stuff)

Back on topic... yeah, I vote for being able to do more than just think while paralyzed - psi would be useful to give you a chance to do something besides just lay there and let people molest you.  Better saving throws vs. Sleep and Paral would be nice also... I don't think I've ever saved against either and it has happened to me many times.  That goes for lots of other saving throws as well.... like dwarves vs poison for example.  Maybe it's working fine... but previous instances have made me wonder.

You don't need to turn nosave on while you're paralyzed. You're already not trying to save, on account of being paralyzed.

I don't think it's a bug but you can't use 'contact' when paralyzed, in the least when magickally paralyzed.
Psionic contact requires a deep concentration. Since paralyze lets you drop to the ground, unable to do even the slightest movement, paralyzing poisons should be strong neurotoxins, which would probably affect the way your brains works for sure. Same for the magick, the magicker f**ked up your mind so bad that you can't think properly enough for psionic skills. Pray that an imm does not decide that paralyzing poisons may prevent breathing.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]