Tablelands
10 (11%)
Southern wilderness
4 (4.4%)
Northern wilderness
21 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Voting closed: August 20, 2005, 08:47:08 AM

I'm expanding on a poll done by ThunderLord a while as to which city is better, Allanak or Tuluk.  This time there are more choices.
The Red Storm option includes Red Storm East.
Southern wilderness encompasses all the non-city land from a bit north of 'nak to the shore of the silt sea, including salt flats.
Northern wilderness includes Grey Forest.
The Labyrinth is included in Allanak.

Should have put Old Tuluk in there, cuz it was the best ever. ;)
Not the ruins as it is now.. but Tuluk long ago before the destruction and everything.  There was just something about the layout/feel of the city that I liked alot better than how it all is now...

Alright, I've started playing a character who lives in Tuluk because I'm trying to get myself used to this horrible city.  I figure that I'm a biased b@stered and need to open my mind.

However, the map layout doesn't feel like a city and that's really annoying to me.  :-(

I hope by the end of this character's life I can really get a feel for the city, it's people and culture.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

You should enjoy it moab.  Most of my characters have been southerners but the one character I did play for a decent length of time in Tuluk was great - and he didn't hug any bunnies...

Best area for what, exactly?

Best for newbies?
Best for roleplaying a rampaging murderer?
Best for playing an independent ranger?
Best for its selection of spice?
Best place for a sneak to set up shop?
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Quote from: "Cuusardo"Best area for what, exactly?

Why, for Mudsexxx of course.

And the answer is simple:  Find out IC!!!!!111
some of my posts are serious stuff

Northern wilderness is great for mudsex.  In a tree, in the scrub, with a halfling, with a gortok.  Not that I actually do anything like that... you know...
*blank* hmms to himself, carefully peeing across the ground.

Quote from: RaesanosI want to kill everyone.

QuoteBest area for what, exactly?

The area you most enjoy playing in.  And thanks for moving the thread, whoever did it.

I'd delete this thread because it sounds like I am playing a hack and slash 'em up game if you call the areas.

And there was no option for "T'zai Bynn"
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

What about Grasslands, or is that with northlands and the grey forest?

What's clal..?  And T'zai Byn isn't an area...

Yep, grasslands are northern wilderness.

Mmm. Labyrinth.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Not sure if you're asking why the 'rinth isn't there or just saying that that's your favourite place, but in case it's the former:
QuoteThe Labyrinth is included in Allanak.

Quote from: "Bogre"Mmm. Labyrinth.

Amen.

Well T'zai Bynn is Bynner talk for everywhere.
I go where the Rp is fun.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

The Rinth, Luir's and Red Storm are great if you're down with excruciating loneliness. The Rinth especially can be an awful bitch if you don't hook up with some people who have similar playtimes: there's only so much solo-rp you can do before you starve.

The Rinth, I say, is the most fun if there are plenty of other people around. Otherwise I like Tuluk. Allanak is all right, but all the cliches seem to gravitate there: sadistic noble, really sadistic templar, chatty merchants, badass thieves and warriors. Yawn dot com.

Somebody should make a "Worst Area" poll  :P.

Man, that thread would get locked so fast!  Especially the second Tuluk gets brought up..

I love the descriptions of the zones beyond the Known World.  

Kudos to the immortals who took the time, effort, and energy to put these places into the game.  While very few ever have the priviledge of seeing them they are _amazing_ locations.

I love all the little places of the game.  Buildings that capture the essence of what they are there for.  Short little ruins that exude the 'creepy' factor.  Other secretive locations that are hidden throughout the Known Realm.  These are the places I love to stumble upon and to explore.

Other than that, I love the descriptions of Tuluk.  

I know the amount of time that went into building Tuluk and during the build phase of it - I am still impressed with the dedication of the team (a small team at that) who wrote the zone.  I love how when you go from one location in Tuluk to another the adjectives reflect where you are.

I have to kind of agree with marko.  The best areas are the ones that aren't part of the centers of civilization.  They're the places that you run into accidentally and think "What the hell?!" when you wander inside to explore and find what lives there.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Interesting to note that Luir's Outpost is currently the least popular place whereas House Kurac seems to be one of the more popular organisations...

Quote from: "Oxidised Lizard"Interesting to note that Luir's Outpost is currently the least popular place whereas House Kurac seems to be one of the more popular organisations...
I don't think that's an accurate statement and it has nothing to do with whether or not I like Kurac.

Since this is a straightforward 'pick your favorite place' poll it doesn't tell you whether or not something is popular.  For all we know everyone's second choice could be Tuluk making it, overall, the most popular place in the game.

My list:
1. The 'Rinth
2. The northern wilderness
3. Allanak
4. Luir's Outpost
I selected 'Allanak' in the poll, but wanted to expand my answer here. The 'Rinth has great potential, and has this sort of "jump right into the action" feel. With a 'Rinther, you won't ever have to spend two years sparring, or five months hunting gurth exclusively or whatever. You're a unique, powerful, dangerous and vulnerable person right from the moment when you point at the Hall of Kings.
I prefer the northern wilds because they seem better "balanced" than the southern ones. I would probably prefer the southern ones better if they had more than gith, scrab, and giant, man-eating tarantulas in them, however. Point is, it's an exciting and immersive place to play. It's challenging and brutal to survive there, but it's at least possible, instead of invariably ending in an insta-hyper-megadeath from four scrab and a wayward mekillot in the southlands.
I highly prefer Allanak to Tuluk because it justs feels "more Zalanthan" there to me. The brutalness of Allanak is right there for everyone to see, not hidden behind murals and half-elven bards. By just wandering the streets of Allanak, you are almost forcibly moved into the mindset of a 'Nakki; grim, paranoid, but admirably determined to survive.
Luir's has a unique feel, and I find the area (for lack of a better word) charming. It provides a nice neutral spot for several parties, making it rich with the possibility of interaction. Overall, though, I simply love the room descriptions. Part trading outpost, part draconian fortress, part mystic castle, it's probably one of the most "fantastical" sites on Zalanthas. I love it.
Just my two cents.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Allanak and Red Storm are the two most bad ass places in the entire game.  Why?  They both scream Zalanthas.  What is more Zalanthas then a brutal city state and a desert wasteland outpost on the edge of the sea of silt.  Everything north of Allanak could vanish I would be completely content.  That isn't to say Luir's and Tuluk doesn't have its charm in their own way, but I just love the flat empty deserts and horrible cramped cesspool that is Allanak.  I drop a Tuluk character in now and again to clear the pallet, but truth be told, Allanak and Red Storm are the places that I really like to spend my time.