12 (12.9%)
to lazy to fight give me beer
9 (9.7%)
hire the byn
18 (19.4%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Voting closed: August 14, 2005, 12:45:12 AM

So whos with me!!!!!!! CHARGE!!!!!

seriously why not make a war with the gith or north vs south again   a massive one of some sort

reason for battle against gith, Highlord's bored and needs gith skull shoes???
dd my msn if you want, longvaladrien@hotmail.com

Whoops, I thought the poll read "We need Gwar."
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

A war would be cool. But we need solid, IC reasons to have one.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Be the change you want to see, bro.

"Pardon me, mighty Lord Templar, but my mercenary company and I have had it with those Krath-damned, mutant-kissing savages up north. Might we be granted official marque to go dispense some Highlordian justice on them thar barbarians? Your newb militia dudes can roll with us."

So do what you can ICly to start one.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

There are alot of options involved for war scenarios.  There could be race wars (genocide of all elves!), there could be merchant wars (kurac muscling in on kadius), there are magicker wars that the normal populace probably wouldn't want to get dragged into..., there could be noble-house wars (though likely squashed by BigBadTek), and of course something like a gith/mantis war, or a halfling/tuluk war, etc etc.

If enough PC's pursued a course of action such as a genocide war, then the imms would likely bring the NPC element into it and next thing you know, tada!  A war!  Granted, if your PC loves halflings don't change your mind simply because you want some death and carnage, but players can often set the theme and mood of the playing environment including spawning war-like sentiments.

War is good.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

In the game, yes it is.  

Outside of the game...not so much.

Quote from: "adrien"seriously why not make a war with the gith or north vs south again   a massive one of some sort

Well, there is a fighting in a bit of tension between the north and the south. If you pay close attention, get involved with templars and nobles, or manage some good connections, you'll notice a punch from the north or south being delivered every now and then.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

start one.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

QuoteIn the game, yes it is.

Outside of the game...not so much.

It's good ubiquitously. Otherwise, the world would be China; yes, communist and overcrowded.

However, instead of war, we need Role-Playing!
QuoteSo do what you can ICly

Precisely.

Pax,

Dirr

Thunder Lord wrote:
QuoteFiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit wrote:
QuoteA war would be cool. But we need solid, IC reasons to have one.

No we don't.
Um... yes we do?
This is Armageddon. No matter how ub3r-l337 it would be to have, for example, a war between Tuluk and Allanak, or a gigantic sea monster suddenly start tearing up Luir's Outpost, or your very own personal fortress of mega-super-awesome-doom, it won't happen unless there's a reason for it to happen, ICly and OOCly.
The day Arm starts launching "events" just because it'd be "cool" is the day I leave.
As others have said, if you really want a war, go out and start one (I'd be more than happy to join).
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
     "You are likely dead."

Maybe Tektolnes should send one of his black-robes to report to the United Citystates with an allegation that Muk Utep has been stockpiling weapons of mass defiling.

-- X

ps -- This isn't entirely tongue-in-cheek.  The fact is, you never really need a reason for a war, as long as there's a motive.  And motive is easy.  Resources.

For sure I can't give out details but... There are small scale wars across the land. There are magicker groups fighting each other which involve more than ten players (one sixth of the PC population at peak), also magicker groups against both city states which involve even more. Especially, around Allanak, there has been a small-scale war, but it's too IC and it's not announced to the general populace.
But if you want a great war, you'll need to make a warrior/magicker, beef him up, form an army with everything needed, start with small goals like raiding a ranch around Allanak or maybe even Oash's vineyards -do not know well about the geography of Tuluk-, then beef up even more, win or lose many times to gain the control of a larger city state.

Example: Apply for a dwarf warrior/bard. Beef up first in Byn, then perhaps in Kadius in North. Form a group of a few dwarves and be a partisan of a northern noble house leaving Kadius. If your group may last for a few years IC and enlarge, ally with Guild and gather information about Allanaki templerate. Wait patiently till templerate becomes busy with a nilazi/defiler in 'rinth or another raider group or anything else major. While they're distracted, assault the mines of Allanak, but just free as many dwarves as you can and retreat to north. Repeat it for a fort, ranch or a village around Allanak, but do not forget to be patient, then real real swift when acting. Weaken down the city-state, so maybe imms playing the NPC high templerate of Tuluk may decide it's time to attack.

But you'll have to mess with many problems.. If you can't handle the rationings of your group, they may become raiders. If you can't handle assassins or magickers sent to kill you, the headless group will for sure dissipate. If you trust too much to Guild or other groups, you may get tricked and assaulted. If you're not patient - too patient, you're dead. But in the end, to make the lazy-ass templerate act and declare war, you must prove them that the enemy's weak.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Although I agree war is good, the downside that war brings is that there will always be mortalities. Either one group or the other is elliminated or has enough of their members killed that they are forced to surrender. But, that's only if it's an all-out war. Rather than one gigantic and climatic battle, I'd much rather like to see assassinations and small scirmishes that make up the entirety of a large-scale war, or any war in general.

Xygax wrote:
QuoteThe fact is, you never really need a reason for a war, as long as there's a motive.
Dictionary.com wrote:
Quoterea·son  (rzn)
n.
1. The basis or motive for an action, decision, or conviction.
Yeah. Semantics suck.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
     "You are likely dead."

I, too, have access to an online dictionary:

Reason \Rea"son\ (r[=e]"z'n), n. [OE. resoun, F. raison, fr. L. ratio (akin to Goth. ra[thorn]j[=o] number, account, gara[thorn]jan to count, G. rede speech, reden to speak), fr. reri, ratus, to reckon, believe, think. Cf. Arraign, Rate, Ratio, Ration.]
    1. A thought or a consideration offered in support of a determination or an opinion; a just ground for a conclusion or an action;

The particular connotation of the word "reason" which I had hoped to use, and to convey by the sense of my post was this definition of "a just ground for a conclusion or action."

Semantics don't really suck.  What sucks is selectively misconstruing the meaning of a term as a means of attacking an argument (was this actually an attack, or just a derailment?).  And yes, I realize that when you look up and paste your definition of the word "motive" it will still say something about "reason."  Perhaps I should have used "just cause" instead of "reason."  Please let me know if the semantics of these terms require still more precise definition (but let's take it to e-mails).

-- X

Quote from: "Forty Winks"Rather than one gigantic and climatic battle, I'd much rather like to see assassinations and small scirmishes that make up the entirety of a large-scale war, or any war in general.

Really, those do go on, but not as often as I would like to see them. If you join a noble house as an assassin, you'll know/learn a lot about it. In truth, you only have to be a member of the noble house or a very good listener to figure this out.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Don't worry, I am way ahead of you all. i have been planning a war-starting endeavor of my own since I started playing this game and I finaly have a perfect one. But it will take time of course.

but the war cant be one big battle i think maby alot of small-medium battles

start with a big one have alot of smalls a few moderates then 3 HUGE ones

I e battle for red desert allanaky trust northwards

battle fought then a tuluky counter attack heading by northroad

also introducing new weapons and technology to the game

and intresting alliances
dd my msn if you want, longvaladrien@hotmail.com