Am I the only one who misses the Fale

Started by Cyrian20, August 09, 2005, 10:51:23 PM

I am serious, Usually in my experiance a Fale pc was a good source of rp always waiting in the taverns or throwing parties that made good rpi's without anyone dying (Sorry Halaster). When are we going to see House Fale opened back up with a noble or two wondering the taverns?
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

I personally hope that it wont happen anytime soon.

Every Fale I saw were played like Van Wilder. If they weren't talking about parties, spice, booze, and sex. Then they didn't talk.

Zalanthas was a lot less harsh because of that and not as much fun as it is now. That is just my personal opinion.
If I saw a Fale that played the way I thought they should have been played like, then I may not hate seeing a Fale Pc.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I was thinking about this earlier, actually.  Generally, I'm against Fale opening, but for specific reasons.  If they were taken care of, hell yes, I'd like to have Fale come back, unless it would tax the consolidation of the playerbase anymore.

My concern (and these are all my personal views and such, by the way.  I'm not staff, this is just the way I picture it being done):
  Before it was closed, Fale was pretty much turning into a joke of a noble house.  Nobles were so desperate to entertain people that they were behaving in ways that I think would make -fools- of themselves, particularly when you take into account that the ones they'd be trying to impress are the templarate and the other noble houses (probably more the latter, due to the fact that they are the ones who dictate how much money Fale gets, through the Senate.)  Sure, they employed PC's, and put them into positions such as 'Whatsit', which, while cute, seems completely out of place in Allanak to me.  Sense of humor good, making a  -noble- house into a giant joke, tamboree circle, and punchline all at once -bad-.  In my opinion.

Fale is supposed to be about the arts and culture, not dressing each other up in kank suits, running out into hordes of commoners, and doing everything they possibly can to make those commoners laugh.  They're still noble.  They're still better than commoners.  They still know it.  Altogether, I felt that before they were closed, they were getting -too- involved with commoners, to the point that they were basically just another commoner, but with hoarded money set aside for them and a serious social acceptance complex.  I once, with a rogue-type character, spied on a very prominent Fale noble absolutely pouring his heart out, bleeding-out-of-his-eyes in love with a commoner...sure, with reason, it's alright, but I don't really picture a noble in love with a commoner acting...quite...that...way.  That noble ended up being extremely popular on an OOC level, and it actually kind of disgusted me.

I'd like to see Fale come back as a high-class, holier-than-though sort of family.  They're classy and they know it.  They sponsor the arts because the arts are what they appreciate, and they're very critical of them.  I don't want to see a clan that's an excuse to throw out slapstick humor all over the place, making you the laughing stock of the noble community.

If anything...slapstick humor would be the most presentable with hired jesters, whom the family would just -love- ordering to do things that make them the village idiot/dumb fool that they're -paid- to be.  And that Jester, when not on duty, gets to brag about how much he makes doing it for a noble house, though it gets high-pressure when nobles watch and if he doesn't do it right, and no one laughs, he gets thoughts that he might be losing his tongue or some such for their own amusement.

So...to summarize...Yes, I'd like to see Fale come back.  But I'd much rather it be in a way where they aren't drastically, jarringly out of place in a place like Allanak.

Once again...these are just my opinions on the matter.  Some, perhaps most, may disagree.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I want to play a Fale some day.  I think it would be fun.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Edited out the accidental double post!
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

I'll speak up here. Fale has always been kind of a sticky point with me. My first (and only as it turns out) PC was in the clan when it was new and on its first batch of nobles. When I was still involved in such things, I was also from time to time clan imm, or assistant clan imm. Or Deputy, or interim, or something. Anyway, I was involved.

My personal feeling, and one I think more or less echoed by staff who were originally involved with the clan, is that they're somewhat reminiscient of Imperial Rome at its most decadent. Sure, the nobels did some silly things, but they were silly in the way that Nero might have been silly. Maybe it was just the inbreeding, or the spice, but that silliness had a certain darkness to it. There was a callous disregard for human life that fit in well with Allanak. At the early parties, it wasn't a good party if a templar didn't die. Of course, the spice code wasn't as refined then. Someone tied to a chair and eaten alive by larvae was considered good party entertainment.

In my opinion, the house should have had the dichotomy of a little humor, coupled with the danger of a slightly insane, spiced up person who could come unhinged at any moment and who had control over your life, for all intents and purposes. The reasons why Fale is closed are legion, but I just wanted to stand up and have my say, for the benefit of the people who weren't here when it started 7 or 8 years ago, and for whom it has always been just a silly and mocked clan.

-S

QuoteAt the early parties, it wasn't a good party if a templar didn't die

What I would give to see a log of such an event...  :shock:

Quote from: "Saikun"

My personal feeling, and one I think more or less echoed by staff who were originally involved with the clan, is that they're somewhat reminiscient of Imperial Rome at its most decadent. Sure, the nobels did some silly things, but they were silly in the way that Nero might have been silly. Maybe it was just the inbreeding, or the spice, but that silliness had a certain darkness to it. There was a callous disregard for human life that fit in well with Allanak. At the early parties, it wasn't a good party if a templar didn't die. Of course, the spice code wasn't as refined then. Someone tied to a chair and eaten alive by larvae was considered good party entertainment.

Holy crap, I miss House Fale now. Sounds like it's an amazing house.  :lol:

QuoteIn my opinion, the house should have had the dichotomy of a little humor, coupled with the danger of a slightly insane, spiced up person who could come unhinged at any moment and who had control over your life, for all intents and purposes. The reasons why Fale is closed are legion, but I just wanted to stand up and have my say, for the benefit of the people who weren't here when it started 7 or 8 years ago, and for whom it has always been just a silly and mocked clan.

This is the Fale I remember best, one reason I've been hoping they reopen with maybe two of us playing who really understand it.

Somebody recruit Malifaxis and I'll get on board too.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: "X-D"
Somebody recruit Malifaxis and I'll get on board too.

*twitch*     *twitch*

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Can I come play in you guys' sandbox too?

Seeker would be a perfect Fale. ;)

Would there be a northern noble house that could be opened to fit into the role that Saikun described? It seems like it would fit into Tuluk more than Allanak, honestly, as Tuluk has always struck me as more "grecian" than 'nak.

The south already has three houses operating (last I checked - haven't played there in a few months) and, all "Tuluk sucks, let's nuke it!" comments aside, it seems like it would be imbalancing to open up yet another one.

But I really do like the picture Saikun painted for us. Seems like they and Kurac could be really close friends, as I've always pictured them to be the most decadant of the merchant houses.

You pictured Kurac as the most decedent?  If the God-Kings were to disappear tomorrow, Kurac would rule both cities given a little time, and the streets would run with the blood of Kadians, Salarri, and all the nobles who can't cower behind a God King anymore.  Kurac is bad ass, motivated, cunning, and about as decadent and as a crafty and pragmatic assassin.  This is just my opinion of course, but if you want to picture Kurac, imagine House Atraedes from Dune.  Some of them political types might have some class, but underneath, they are all business.  House Kurac rocks my world.  If there is one organization in the entire game that screams Zalanthas, it is Kurac.  This game needs more Kuracs and less Fales.

House Kurac, I heart you.  That goes double for Davaz, Sargax, and Devon of old.

In retrospect, maybe decadant isn't the right word, but I think it's only off by a few shades of degree. Kurac peddles drugs, alcohol, whores, and vice of all kind.

I wholly echo your love for Kurac, but I still think they'd get along very nicely with a truly decadant noble house.

It appears to me that perhaps Fale should set itself up like something similar to the Poet's circle in Tuluk.  Perhaps an art show or a new wave of thinking, music and the like.
hat frikking signature?

You Fale dream-teamers should totally do a group special ap.   I would love to see that.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

To those that think a fale type house should be in Tuluk...

Um, No. Tuluk  tries and should be Subtle...Fale, Is Dark, and not Subtle in displays, The only subtle might in just how dark they really are...
A fale Might Throw a party where the main attraction is the VERY slow disembowelment Of somebody that neglected to bow to him/her..Of course, It would be done in an artistic manner, and the person would be wearing a smiling mask and brightly colored clothes.

No, Fale is a Nak house...and if properly played, I think they are the essence of allanak RP.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Or the Bane of Allanaki Brutalism and Elitism, if played wrong.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

en GDB (sauntering along casually, hands in his pockets)

look board

read fale

pem Eyes slowly widening, @ jaw drops like a stone.

think OMG...

em Raising his fist, @ quickly stuffs it most of the way into his mouth and begins to gibber and giggle madly, his little bootied feet thundering a rapid rhythm upon the dusty floor.

em Leaping into the air like a vestric on metholinoc, @ races out of the GDB, to a small, smoky room where he conspires quietly, visage mad with desire.

leave

l

open door

leave

think Damnit... what's the syntax?

out

en RL

look RL

leave

leave

leave

sigh

kill RL
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

You know, I don't see why Fale couldn't be experimentaly opened like that Halfling tribe not too long ago.  Open applications for maybe 2 nobles and 2-4 aides/servants/bards.  Give it a few months of play time, then retire the clan again if things don't work out.  Seems like reopening a clan with heavy interaction potential makes much more sense than opening an isolationist clan.

Fale would unbalance the game of politcal intrigue in Allanak.

Halflings had their camp in the middle of nowhere and got slapped for interacting with PCs the wrong way, and for PCs to interact with halflings the wrong way.

contact halfling
psi I need some wood, can you forage some for me?  thx lil buddy!!! :)
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

How can adding something that already exists (even though only virtually) unbalance things?  Shouldn't people already be palying their nobility-centered characters with Fale (and the other 5 houses) in mind?  

As others have mentioned, there are a few players that are capable of playing a Fale noble properly.

Isn't this another case of.. "I miss X because we haven't had them in game for a long while, now.." that will turn in a few months into a case of.."I wish X wouldn't be in the game because we already have enough empty clans that needs to be filled up before we add new ones?"
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I personaly don't think it is...I don't miss the last few years of Fale at ALL.
That, and I think everybody who is playing that never got to see Fale when it was played by people who understood the house and played inside that understanding are really missing something.

I used to think Fale when I thought of Allanak RP...along with scary templars of course. Then the house declined into basicly a bunch of bored noble jesters...cringe...when that happened I was not upset that the house got closed finally, rather, relieved.

Next problem is figuring out which imm SHOULD run the house...hhhmmm...who are currently the most friendly seeming yet sinister imms?
Lizzie:

Oh, and as to numbers, I agree, few noble family and a couple aids max...keep it small, it is not a house that needs a military force or a huge number of laberers or anything...this would keep it off the scope of people going HEY, They sucking down all the PC's.
Lizzie:

There's never a suitable balance because someone is always going to find something that isn't going the way they want it, and they're going to bitch about it.

The ISO clans/houses/tribes (and Fale) are amazing houses, well written and documented, that are restricted (as far as I can tell) not because they are uber powerful, but because they are exceptionally hard to roleplay properly.

Opening up these options on a time for time basis allows some of the players with varied interests to actually help increase the flavor of the game world by letting people have a taste of something they normally would not.

The rare and mysterious things on Armageddon are there to be scary and awe inspiring... but they lose impact if they are never experienced, and if no stories are told about it.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Two nobles and six aids is not a few players.  That is 10% of the MUD at peak hours.  The biggest reason to never let the Fale play again is simply because the MUD is not big enough and they don't add enough.  Whack Tuluk and cover everything North of Luir's in halflings and gith, and you might have the population in Allanak to support another noble house.  As it is, I think noble houses are WAY over represented as a portion of the MUD populace.  I would worry more about adding a single city elf tribe then adding another noble house to fight over the few remaining non-noble aids that remain.

I would probably consider playing in Fale, as well, but that's only because I'm a Tuluk fanboi, and from what I've read, Fale seems to be what everyone currently hates about Tuluk.

It loves art, it loves sitting in taverns all day, it loves partying.. Sure, they can murder and plot once in a while, but so does Tenneshi, and so does Winrothol..

Do you really want to bring what you hate from Tuluk down to the south?
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Two nobles and SIX aides? Man...thats WAY high, I was thinking more on the lines of 2-4 nobles and like Two aides total....Or, most likley two and two.
Which is FAR smaller then any other clan I can think of.

Plus odds are that some of them might be drawn from people currently playing iso/unclanned chars.

But no matter what, no more then six pc's in the house.

The nice thing about the low number is that it will force the players to use other people/means IE Involving other players/clans/houses etc.

And where did you come up with that number anyway...does any house in the game even currently allow a noble to have 3 aides?
Lizzie:

Quote from: "Rindan"Two nobles and six aids is not a few players.  That is 10% of the MUD at peak hours.  The biggest reason to never let the Fale play again is simply because the MUD is not big enough and they don't add enough.  Whack Tuluk and cover everything North of Luir's in halflings and gith, and you might have the population in Allanak to support another noble house.  As it is, I think noble houses are WAY over represented as a portion of the MUD populace.  I would worry more about adding a single city elf tribe then adding another noble house to fight over the few remaining non-noble aids that remain.

As much as I love the idea of dream-teaming with Malifaxis and Seeker in House Fale, I have to completely agree (again).

I was there towards, what I think, was the end of Fale's glory days. After that, there was something involving a puppet, lots of crazy hair dye, and some lesbian orgies, or that's what my other pc's heard.

Fale was very much subtle and political. You didn't openly argue with that Oash at the table, you wrote a song and had someone else's bards sing it. Some of the songs in Nak today had their beginnings due to Fale involvement. The Whatsit had a real purpose, and it wasn't to be a silly joke, and the Whatsit I'm thinking of did it good, and yet was a real pain in the arse if you got on her bad side.

I think people got confused. They took the examples they saw and amplified them... well, if this Fale dressed up a dwarf in a wig with dyed skin, I'll do three dwarves and have them juggle each other. While yes, Fale is a huge opportunity to have some of the biggest laughs you've ever had while playing in a clan, sometimes you should be the only one laughing.  For clarification? The dwarf-wig incident... didn't happen, it was only spoken about, and it was concerning the most uber badass dwarf in the game at the time and everybody knew it. So the idea of putting HIM in a wig with purple and green silk was incredibly funny.

Anytime you want to think Fale is nothing but a joke, remember this. Elaira Fale is the templar given credit for sacking the northlands. And she came about IC'ly, she wasn't just written for the day.

In my opinion, the clan should only be opened if people on the calibre of the purple haired noble woman and her green haired whatsit are around to bring it back to it's full glory and depth. It's not really up to a show of hands as to who could or could not do it. It will happen (or won't) when it's right to happen.

I wish I could write an app worthy of that day.

Proxie
For those who knew him, my husband Jay, known as Becklee from time to time on Arm, died August 17th, 2008, from complications of muscular dystrophy.

I also remember House Fale, as it was meant to be, and if that's what's coming back, I welcome it.

Fale did have a darkside, a very dark side, and if you were a noble, you didn't want to be on it.  Think about this, why do you think no other noble house crushed the Fale?

Fale is a very powerful house, and one not to be crossed.
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

I can't believe it~!! T___T

I was here during the Fale heyday and it was absolutely, hands-down, no-buts-or-butts-about-it, positively, completely my favorite nash-frackin' part of the game. I came back because I loved them so darn much and now I find... they're gone?? I'm outraged~! My life is over~! *sob*

(for the record I never was a Fale myself... that was on my hit list until I was goaded into another game. I just sort of worked with them.)

In all seriousness, I would LOVE to be part of any reconstruction that goes on in the future, and I sincerely hope it does happen. If it doesn't... well... ARM lost one of its coolest things, and the realm of nobility will simply never be the same. I don't care what anyone else says, you all can't say you didn't enjoy it at least a little bit. And I will defend that to multiple deaths. :PPP

I didn't enjoy it, the least little bit.

If they're watched over and kept in the theme of the game better, I'm all for it.

Can't say I really agree with the idea of them becoming a superpower (at least above the other noble houses) in a place like Allanak, though.  If they're dark, conniving, behind-the-scene killing machines, that's well and good...but come on.  The service they provide to the city?  That's supposed to put them above military houses, slaving experts, record keepers, and others who actually provide very obviously valuable houses?

People will argue with me on that, and I don't know everything to know on the matter, obviously, but that just seems like a strange idea to me.  Strange and...out of place.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Pff, I know i'm going to be torn to bits for this, but sometimes I think this particular genre is a little too focused on being bloodygritty... but that's just me. For the record I didn't suggest pussifying the entire game. I'm saying that it was an incredibly welcome spot of relief to me, and IMO, a valid coping mechanism for the psychological shock of a terrifying world. There are people that do things like psychologically regress to younger ages and/or shut down mentally in the face of extreme abuse. It's perfectly valid to me to say that such a coping mechanism might have been passed down through a family the way any other mental disease or issue is passed genetically.

I can think of very good uses for Fales to remain as public spectacles. For one, having a rather silly group of people about acts as a bridge between commonfolk and higher social groups, and also a distraction. If people are mindlessly following the fashions and laughing at the antics of Fales, they aren't thinking about injustice or unfairness or lobbying in large, insurmountable numbers for rights. *cough* Exactly the same purpose modern-day celebrities serve. Certainly, the purpose of keeping people stupid is as dark as any, perhaps more violating than any other oppression, as it oppresses not only the body but the soul as well.

It's all on a different level than the other noble groups. They rule through sheer fear. Fales ruled through sweet seduction of the mind. :3

Quotethey aren't thinking about injustice or unfairness or lobbying in large, insurmountable numbers for rights.

They always think about it.  Because that's the way it is.

However...would they rather live out in the unforgiving wastes?  Or are they honestly going to contemplate rising against a -sorcer-king-?

As I recall, there was a trained -army- that tried to do that in the past, and the sorcerer-king farted on them and they died.

Yes, they keep people happy.  Yes, they will always be looked down on by other nobles (in my opinion) as long as they maintain the 'closer' relations with commoners to serve as the bridge between highborn and lowborn.  I'd picture them as more of the intellectuals, the dicussion and thought provokers, and the druggies than anything else.  Of course, important to culture.  But, from what I've seen...there's not too much specific emphasis on how important that is on Allanak, without them.  So that's what they do.

Once again, I'll just say I don't know much about this thing, I'm just going off of my thoughts on past experiences.  So I -could- very well be completely wrong, but these are my views on it :P

Quote from: "Rindan"House Kurac, I heart you.  That goes double for Davaz, Sargax, and Devon of old.

Adlok, Barvel, Danu, Tal . . . ah, once upon a time.  

As for Fale, I miss them.   The world needs more shades of intrigue.  Opulence tinged with a bit of insanity beats yet another dark and back-room schemer with a femme-fatale aidesassin or another newbie scho. . er.  academy any day.

Well that is definatly a differant way of doing it, not good, not bad....just differant.

I remember Fale nobles and servants   There was a Fale Captain around when the clan was closed, who was so...Fale.  Hell, I love you man, you know who you are.  Bring them back, but a karma clan.  Just allow those who apply for them and who have proved able to play such a role, play one now and then.  A well played one is so good for Allanaki atmosphere.

All it takes is one good played Fale to give the clan substance again.
Sorry for the outburst.
The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God? -Muad'Dib

So let's all go focus on our own roleplay before anyone picks up a stone to throw. -Sanvean

I miss Fale.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

Being one of those former Fale players, I do biasedly miss the clan being
in game too.  But if it did come back into being, the nobles starting in it
would need to work very very closely with an imm who knows the clan
in and out so they wouldn't make mistakes like we did.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

Fale. Bah.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

I don't really miss Fale so much as I miss when there were enough nobles in one area to make having Fale open realistic.  Walking a PC into the Trader's to find a good 10 or so nobles, 2-3 merchant family members and 2-3 templars taking up multiple tables was good fun.