Entry to clan compounds

Started by Oxidised Lizard, August 09, 2005, 07:32:12 AM

I once had a character who obtained the clothing of a certain organisation but was not a member.  The NPC guard wouldn't let him into the compound.  I would have thought that, realistically, the clothing of that organisation would be all that was required to get past the gate guard into the compound.  Organisations like the T'zai Byn and the merchant houses are huge, so there is no way a gate guard would know every single member by sight.  I think the code should be ammended to allow people wearing the clothes of organisations into the compound (at least with large clans).

I think wishing up is the best thing to do in these situations. I prefer it this way rather than having it automatic, as it cuts out all those people doing it "for a laugh" rather than for IC reasons.

I think that this is how it should work. Possibly a different uniform piece is what they watch for depending upon the clan.

As far as those "doing it for a laugh" instead of IC reasons, I'm sure they would be caught on an OOC level and it would be reflected on their account notes or by their karma.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I would suggest wishing up. The Imm might help make the entire venture more interesting as well.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

The main problem is that if people COULD enter clan compounds with just a uniform, there's no coded way for the NPCs inside to react appropriately when said PC starts looting every single object inside not bolted down.

I also think that something should be done about that.  It would add the realism.  Once, I needed to get in, to prove myself, but I couldn't, and so..  yeah.
Given the choice between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I would have the courage to betray my country." - E. M. Forster

Quote from: "Nyard"I also think that something should be done about that.  It would add the realism.  Once, I needed to get in, to prove myself, but I couldn't, and so..  yeah.

wishing up will give you a perfectly realistic experience, where a simple code modification wouldn't, as it was stated, there is no way for the NPCs and VNPCs inside to react appropriately to any of your actions without a IMM controlling them.

In reality everything that could be stolen should be bolted down or under guard within the compound itself.

Storehouses for supplies?  They should be either locked or guarded.

Weapons caches/armories?  They should be either locked or guarded.

Personal lockers?  Any organization that hires people (especially elves) off of the street should probably have people on guard in personal quarters.  Not a separate detachment, just someone working a security shift like they do in the military.

Water casks?  Oh yeah, you bet they should be guarded.

Other than food these things really shouldn't be readily accessible and then you wouldn't have to worry as much about people donning a cloak just because they can and I honestly think they will.  In my mind it's hard to punish someone for doing something that it appears obvious was done just because they could when there is the slightest possibility that they were acting completely in-character.