"Stop."

Started by Only He Stands There, August 05, 2005, 03:16:23 AM

Any chance, what with the new exemptions to the move-lag, we could get a new command?

"Stop" is as simple as it sounds and cancels all queued movements, helpful for when you realize that that one extra "north" you put in leads you directly in gortok territory, or in the Elementalist's Quarter (and therefore about to walk into a temple to the astonishment and possible hostility of all its occupants).

I realize it's partially my fault for spamwalking, but... realistically, if I accidently queue myself to waltz out the gates into the wilderness (which can get many characters killed and others fired), I could just up and STOP as I realized what the hell I was doing.

Don't spam walk.  I am only speaking for myself here and not officially, but we don't like to see PCs doing it, ever.

I do not see us spending time coding something to make it less dangerous.
brainz: it's what's for dinner.

As an alternative, if you drop link, it will flush out your command queue of any commands that haven't processed.  It won't stop you from lagging or reduce any delays, but any upcoming commands that haven't gone through won't happen.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

You can use Zmud to at a set interval drop walk commands using the #WAIT command.

For example ever #WAIT 2000 will delay the next walk for 2 seconds.

So the effect is that you slowly make your way around, but if you have to stop because something happens or you run into someone, you have a 2 one thousand count to kill the script.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Personally, I'd have to chime in with Niona on this one. Rather than dealing with scripts in your mud client, or dropping link, I suggest the simplest solution: don't spam walk. Its not hard to get the timing right so you can quickly get places, and not worry about the lag.

I'd like to add that people who spam walk irritate alot of the staff, because in some instances we have scripts which alert the staff to people trying to move past certain points, in case we need to pay attention. If you've queued up 20 or so walk commands and run into one of these points, you spam the staff, and we curse your name, and begin seriously contemplating what your brainz taste like.
Tlaloc
Legend

Post deleted.

Do not derail - start a new thread.

I feel that spam walking is self teaching.  You lose enough characters with it, in the end you'll probably stop doing it.

Or when you are spam walking and "someone" drops a many coins.
Then you go back and you don't see any.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Tlaloc"Personally, I'd have to chime in with Niona on this one. Rather than dealing with scripts in your mud client, or dropping link, I suggest the simplest solution: don't spam walk. Its not hard to get the timing right so you can quickly get places, and not worry about the lag.

I'd like to add that people who spam walk irritate alot of the staff, because in some instances we have scripts which alert the staff to people trying to move past certain points, in case we need to pay attention. If you've queued up 20 or so walk commands and run into one of these points, you spam the staff, and we curse your name, and begin seriously contemplating what your brainz taste like.

It's lame typing directions to walk across the city. I think scripting is a nice medium.

But yea, it can backfire on you.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

I already agreed to do this here, have you all forgotten so quickly?!

Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

-- X

...and I'm an idiot for more than one reason. :wink:

Thanks folks.