Sleeping

Started by adrien, August 03, 2005, 12:36:28 AM

Do any of you acctually sleep at night or stay away and rest? I never seen people do. and now there is three people that i work with that do it

this is in armageddon
dd my msn if you want, longvaladrien@hotmail.com

when the time is 'late at night' my PC is usually hidden away resting somewhere.
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

I'm confused.  Are you talking about the players sleeping, as in IRL?  Or are you talking about PCs in the game?
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Night time is definitely a great time to take a break from your magick-studies, crafting efforts, sparring, etc., and go do something requiring less concentration and energy for your PC, and is a great way to balance out your play, too (if you're very skill-oriented, for example, this will help give you a clue as to when perhaps you're going too far with training, crafting etc.)

-- X

I wont go as far as to say that my PCs sleep during "night" hours on a regular basis. but like Xygax mentioned, I do make it a point to break away from the "day" routine and do something else at nights - mostly socializing, getting drunk and generally spending time in the more social zones of the city that I am in, at that time.

Alternatively, if I'm a full-time social PC during the "day", then during the "night" hours, I break away and do some other stuff - like sneaking around, breaking into places or stuff like that.

But practically speaking, I dont actually use the "sleep" command to sleep off the night time on the mud - coz I have a limited amount of time to devote to gameplay and I would prefer to use it atleast more constructively than sleeping.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

I tend to RP sleeping around once an RL week, sometimes even less.
Dreams are cool to come up with, but at the end of the day I'd rather sit somewhere and even idle until someone contacted me instead of lie somewhere for half an hour roleplaying sleep and being unable to interact with anyone.

Even if someone did come into the room, after all, waking up immediately is so cheap that I will never let myself do it, and in the end all I'll have left to add to the introduction will be 'emote lies there and snores'.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

My character sleeps regularly, but not every night. I do what others have said, generally... go to a tavern, kick my feet up, socialize, plot my revenge. I only sleep if my character feels like he really 'needs' it... if he has just completed an exhausting trip, received a heavy injury, or if he's been awake for three IC days or more due to an RPT of some kind, for example.
Anyway, my point is you shouldn't feel obligated to sleep every IC night. Just play realistically. And trust me, it's realistic to spend the whole night partying, even if you have work the next day. Come on, like you haven't done it before?
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

I long while back someone did the calculation to show that roughly two zalanthas days was the same length as one earth day.  Add in that these are more hardy people and use a little imagination, and it isn't a complete strech that people might stay away for a few Zalanthas days at a time.  That said, as others have said, I usually run their life by the sun.  Night time is for generally for socialization and chilling in a tavern.  For people more inclined to hit up the outdoors, night is simply too dark to move, and so it is a good time to get some meat out, eat, and rest.  High sun is also a good time to consider spending some quality indoors time to spare yourself the worst of Suk-Krath.

There are somethings such as conversations that go on for days in the world, especially in the taverns. Once the people start interaction with one another, it is easy to lose track of time. And sometimes it takes more than one day to discuss or go over some things with someone.

Nights seem like the worst time to sleep, because lots of things tend to happen during this time. Everyone could be bunched up in the tavern while you are sleep, and you could miss out on some good roleplay. No one wants to miss that templar executing that half-elf or elf in the tavern or other important events that may happen.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

My PC sleeps when I'm logged out.  My login time is generally too limited to effectively force myself to take timeouts from the game.  It just seems silly.  More power to the rest of you but I'd rather be playing out my character in one form or another either in solo-roleplay or roleplaying with other PCs than staring at a screen and describing how my PC sleeps.

My characters are all insomniacs.  If I don't need sleep, neither do they...

[Note: JollyGreenGiant actually does need sleep.  He's tried very hard to train himself not to, but this works about as well as the time he tried to train himself to be hunger-resistant.  Stupid hunger.]
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Sleeping for me is an -occasional- fun solo-RP.  Often not so solo either.  Occasionally, while sleeping off some wounds in a clan barracks, I'll get to emote my grumbling and snoring, and someone else will emote tiptoeing in to avoid waking me, which is a nice mini-scene.

Also, if my character gets very drunk, I may have him sleep (pass out) somewhere.  Once by the side of the road even.  It actually can be pretty fun to emote an unconscious drunk gurgling up vomit every now and then.

I haven't roleplayed sleeping out a great deal.  Once in a while, I do.  Or when my PC falls unconscious for whatever reason.  (Hellooooooo Way drain!)  A lot of times when I need to log out, I have my PC say it's to get some rest or sleep, especially if I can go into an adjacent room in a tavern and quit out.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

It sort of depends on the character for me and the position I'm in with them - but if it's feasible (or not bloody foolish) I'll likely sleep at some point late at night or before dawn, if not all of that time. I often use the time to do dishes or make the bed.. or eat or use the bathroom or put away laundry or find a reciepe for dinner.. that sort of thing, but i'm near if something happens.

Dreams can give nearly as much insight into your character, if not more, as thoughts. I suggest giving them a chance and then seeing where they lead. Has your character revieved an evil omen? Will they burn sweetgrass to clear the air as their withered aunt Nedkin used to..? Or will they toss superstition aside and face what comes, suspicion lurking in the back of their thoughts...
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

Isn't an IC day only like nine hours though. So you character wouldn't always sleep at night as the days go buy kinds fast (almost three times as fast as RL) so you char could easily rest once every three or four days (which could easily be rp'd when you log out) Although I must say that thanks to the apartment code I have slept while logged in a little ore often and let myself dream, often making it a good way to give my character direction with his dreams so I have something to do when he wakes up.
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

As an aside, if your character has a source of light, they may actually prefer to be awake at night when it is cool and rest/sleep through the unbearable heat of High Sun until Late Afternoon or Dusk.  Unless you are underground, afternoons suck as a time to do any kind of heavy labour -- like, for example, walking around or standing upright.  Many Zalanthans probably prefer to work from Dusk through Late Morning.

I occasionally sleep.  In dangerous locations (which is most of the world) my characters are more likely to engage in a light doze (Rest) that is not as refreshing as deep sleep but does have the advantage that you are less likely to wake up naked, with a dagger between your ribs, or inside the belly of a scrab.  

The Sleep command indicates a very deep sleep, so deep that you don't notice if someone is unbuckling your belt and stealing your pants.  This is almost a mystically medative state of mind, where you are not only unaware of people rolling you around and tugging all your clothes off, but you also heal from life-threatening injuries at an amazing rate.  The only explanation I can think of is that it is a function of the Unseen Way, a psionic regenerative trance that nearly all higher life forms can instinctively access.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins