Shawls

Started by Marauder Moe, August 01, 2005, 03:17:03 PM

Perhaps I'm mistaken, or perhaps it's different on Zalanthas, but aren't shawls typically womens' clothing?

Feel free to ridicule any man ICly that you see wearing one.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

I don't think so, I looked at pictures of them and I think that in a climate like Zalanthas something that fits the bill for protection from the elements won't have any gender attached to it.

Not to mention I have to wonder if there would be a lot of gender assigned to clothes in a world where there is no difference in role or physical capabilities as exists on Zalanthas.

Well there are certainly still dresses and other clothes described as "masculine" or "feminine", most of which are taken from real life cultures.  Gender-specific clothes ARE a part of Zalanthan culture.

Quote from: "Marauder Moe"Gender-specific clothes ARE a part of Zalanthan culture.
I said as much, just that I don't think there would be as much of it.  Especially because a lot of the distinctions we make in our own world seem pretty arbitrary.  Turbans and other arabic headgear are masculine for some reason but a shawl is feminine?

What would be the logic behind making fun of someone for wearing "woman's clothes" anyways?  Calling that big, stocky mercenary a woman isn't an insult on Zalanthas since there is no distinction between the two genders other than genetalia.  It's not like it's 1950's earth where calling someone a sissy girl would earn you a fist fight after school.

If there are gender-specific clothes, then there would have to be social consequences for wearing clothes meant for the opposite gender, right?  Otherwise they'd cease to be gender-specific clothes.  Insults wouldn't have to be female-derogatory either.  One might remark that a man wearing a dress hasn't had any action in so long that he's forgotten what his parts look like.  A woman wearing a turban might be asked if she's confused about those things growing out of her chest.  Maybe either would be accused of being some sort of freakish half-man half-woman mutant.

You may wish to take into account that shawls are freely used by males and females in many parts of the world, including the middle east (desert areas) and the Indian subcontinent, just to name a couple.

Shawls are just shawls - made for weather protection and comfort. There is no distinction in who can or cannot wear them.

I suggest you dont think of them as a "shawl", picture them as a "blanket" instead, but just thinner ;)
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

I think that most articles of clothing, unless otherwise specified, are unisex.

That being said, yes, there are some pieces of clothing that are described as having a 'masculine' or 'feminine' cut.  This is because, despite being equal in most other ways, in Zalanthas men and women still have different shapes.  

That doesn't mean that your male PC can't wear a 'feminine' article of clothing, bust darts and all.  Have at it.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

I, for one, will continue to wear turbans, both IG and IRL, despite your malicious taunting.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?