hempcloth

Started by Manhattan, August 01, 2005, 07:44:50 AM

hempcloth > hemp plant > cannabis sativa > marijuana?

Zalanthas has marijuana?!?!
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

Most societies that used hemp didn't know about its intoxicating properties. It's not like no one ever burnt the stuff, but you have to breed it to be extra-potent, right?

I don't think any hemp farmers in Zalanthas have ever had any reason to try to selectively breed hemp plants to produce an unknown chemical.

Short answer: sort of yes. But it's just hemp. Smoking it would do nothing.

Hemp comes from the MALE plant, which doesn't contain enough (if any) THC content to catch a buzz from it. THC is produced in the pollen, which is present only on a female plant and trace amounts on the male when insects drop it on their way from one female to the next. Most natural-fiber ropes in the real world are made from hemp (they make cotton, twine, and banana fiber rope too, among other things).

They have spice... they wouldn't go looking for other things.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Hemp is produced from both male and female plants. Industrial hemp is generally harvested before the plants flower, to maximize the amount and quality of usable fibre. Coincidentally, THC content is incredibly low in both sexes of the plant before flowering.

Ah okay. I thought that once the plant was identifiable as female, that's when it became female. And until then, they're all male. One of those freaky things that some plants do. I know some can grow to be true hermaphrodites, carrying both the male traits while flowering at the same time.

And yes the THC content doesn't occur until flowering, because flowering is when pollen is produced. The highest content of THC is present in the pollen.

THC is actually contained in the plant's resin, not its pollen. I don't know offhand why female plants produce more of it, but I think it has something to do with acting as a hormone?

Male plants have it too because they also have resin. Pollen doesn't really come into the picture anywhere.

The fibers used in Zalanthan hempcloth do not come from any form of cannabis.  This one, I -know-.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Yep, and pollen is produced exclusively by males.  It's the "sperm," so to speak, of the reproductive process.  Also, the vast majority of plants in the world are either hermaphroditic or indistinguishable as male or female without genetic testing.  Cannabis is something of an anomaly in the plant world, in that sexes can be distinguished by sight.  And they actually -are- male or female from germination.  There are techniques to force flowering on one small portion of the plant early in its life cycle, in order to determine the sex earlier than would usually be possible.

As a fairly off-topic aside... all fetuses begin female.  It's only the action of androgens mid-pregnancy that begins to develop male sex traits.  Testicles are actually descended, transformed ovaries.

Just for informational purposes. The male plant contains plenty of THC, the reason it is always considered to less THC than the female plant is, because, #1 it does, #2 it doesnt flower, or create buds, where the majority of the THC is found in a female.

But there still is THC in male plants. You can make good hash from them.
your mother is an elf.

Holy crap! There sure are alot of people who know about plants on this mud.  I feel stupid.

Hemp plants are a complete different strain than cannabis sativa. Smoking hemp plants, male or female, matured or not, will only get you as high as the paper you rolled it in.

That's why you roll it in a tab.

Anyhow, the best point in the thread is why get high when you can get fucking orbital on spice. Plus I always assume Zalanthan hemp would be from a totally different plant, but has been called hemp to make the game more user friendly, like honey.

All this debate aside, hemp in-game is definitely not made from RL hemp.

Where is hemp found in the game world?

Is it Sorthern? Southern?  Eastern? Western?  Beyond the Known World?

I'm not looking for a specific place, instead, I'd like a general region that isn't IC sensitive.

I always thought that hemp referred more to a particular method of weaving fibers than the actual plant from which the fibers came.  The definition on dictionary.com seems to indicate that.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Thanks Jolly, I only saw the sdesc of an item with hempcloth in it.  I immediately assumed it was made from hemp... which then made me wonder where such plants were located.

Your explaination makes more sense to me :)  

I guess I should try and read long descs when I can.