crafting silk

Started by Manhattan, July 22, 2005, 05:21:44 AM

You could make a two pairs of white silk gloves from that.
You could make a pair of white silk gloves from that.

WHY?????
Is this a bug??????
Who the hell would make one pair when they could make two?????

Help me, I am confused.  :? ???????
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

Err.. I never crafted silk, so only as an assumption:

Here in Turkey, the traditional tailors still do work, especially in small cities. One of them was a family friend to whose shop I frequented. I know he needs to organize where to cut from the cloth, so he can spare (:twisted:) a little bit more cloth to himself. I guess a rookie tailor would mess with a strange pattern and would be able to make only one pair of gloves from the cloth, while an adept one would find out to cut the cloth properly to make a couple instead.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Maybe you can make two smaller pairs or one big/normal pair?
Given the choice between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I would have the courage to betray my country." - E. M. Forster

Or two rather plain and one exceptionally elaborate?  

Not a clothworker either, but test it out.  If making 2 from one piece yield the exact same product as making one from one piece it is definitely worth using the "bug" command.

(edited out a stupid spelling error)

Just a guess...

They probably only let you make one pair when the craftable gloves first came out, and then they decided to let you make two pairs..and they just never removed the one pair from the craft list.

One pair could be a lot thicker than the other pair.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "Manhattan"You could make a two pairs of white silk gloves from that.
You could make a pair of white silk gloves from that.

WHY?????
Is this a bug??????
Who the hell would make one pair when they could make two?????

Help me, I am confused.  :? ???????

I really do not think so, Manhattan.
Try making both pair of gloves, give them a good look over, and see if they are -exactly- the same. If so, you could use the "bug" command to post the problem for the immortals to view later. Also, I think you can wish up someone if you have doubts about it.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Did you watch the progression of items you could make carefully?  If you have not watched the progression, or if you have started with the tailor subguild, what you see may look a little weird.  There are certain items where at low skill levels you can make one, and at higher skill levels you can make a batch, from the same raw material.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

I'd suggest making one, then the other.  Then inspect your work and see if they're any different.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Hey, I have an idea. . . make one, then the other and compare 'em.

I'm guessing that the one pair is much more elaborate than the other like others have said.  Though there might be a chance that it's the same pair of gloves but making two pairs out of the same sheet of silk requires care, patience and cutting the pattern out in just the right way to make the best use of your silk, thereby being a more challening undertaking.

On a sidenote, for those who have never tangoed with silk IRL it's a shockingly difficult fabric to work with. SHOCKINGLY difficult.

Cotton and linen (which usually has a wider weave) are much easier, but if we're talking raw silk or silk with a lose weave.. d00d.. you have no -idea- how skilled your character is to be able to make gloves from that. That's like trying to make gloves out of spiderweb.