A problem with emoting

Started by I, July 14, 2005, 01:16:23 AM

While sparring, i tried to emote something similar to this:
emo swings his ~swords furiously at ~opponent, but I couldnt.
I realize ~swords is a stupid idea, but is there any way to make something in your emote plural? What I ended up doing was just typing out 'wooden training swords'. Comments?
'm into the desert on a horse with no name
It feels good to be out of the rain
In the desert you can't remember your name
'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain

Unless there's been a chance recently you can't pluralize a ~ target in an emote.  I generally go the same route you did.  'emo swings his wooden blades furiously at ~opponent'.

hmmm. That'd be nice. plural emotes.

I'll be happy when one day, we can emote with EVERY SINGLE coded command.

everything you type will be an emote. EVERYTHING! bwha ha...err...

or if you want a hack job....emote swigns ~sword s    although that could look confusing to some.   so just...yeah.

swings both of ~sword at ~opponent.
storrie: Stay out of the rinth. It is dangerous.
jstorrie: IC INFORMATION!~!
jstorrie: You will get ultrapk'd.
jstorrie: There are no buildings in the rinth. Everything is made out of tall, cloaked figures with knives. You will die.

Quote from: "I"While sparring, i tried to emote something similar to this:
emo swings his ~swords furiously at ~opponent, but I couldnt.
I realize ~swords is a stupid idea, but is there any way to make something in your emote plural? What I ended up doing was just typing out 'wooden training swords'. Comments?

emo swings ~sword's   would probably work in this case. In some others it would look awkward.  Takes some getting used to. (note the ' in the emote).  In this case it should come out as: "So and so swings his wooden training sword's"
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

I'm always a fan of just describing the item in my own words, rather than using the targetting emote. I think it looks better than sword's or sword s, myself.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

I agree with bloodfromstone. Back in the primordial ooze of the MU* world (I guess that'd be primordial mud... whatever) that's how most emoting was done. That's how most emoting, in fact, on most other MU*s is currently done.
Just because we have a super sophimisticated emoting system here on Arm doesn't mean you can't improvise a little.
Just make sure your wooden training sword doesn't turn into a flaming scepter of githslaying +4, and you're fine.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

emo Swinging ~flamin-scepter-of-gith-slaying-+4 at %five ankle @ shout something drastically inaprorpiate without use of the ooc consent policy
jstorrie: There are no buildings in the rinth. Everything is made out of tall, cloaked figures with knives. You will die.

Yeah, I tend to shy away from object targetting in my emotes, just because it's so klunky to see the whole object sdesc there.  Also, I don't like how the possessive adjective is always linked on there.  Someone lets me look at their tin sword of doom for a few moments, and my emotes come out The tall, muscular man looks over his tin sword of doom with interest.  It's not mine!

I really like the ability to target objects, worn by your PC, in emotes. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't keep consistent referencing from your (player) point of view. Example: if you are playing the lean man and your PC is using an obsidian longsword, doing "emote swings at the air with ~longsword" will echo "The lean man swings at the air with your obsidian longsword" (rather than "The lean man swings at the air with his obsidian longsword").

Swordsman

Yeah, that's also slightly irksome.  It's usually not a problem since it doesn't echo incorrectly to other players, but when you are reading some of the player logs on the website, it can be downright confusing to sort out what is happening when that discrepancy creeps in often enough.

About the original problem of mine, I think i have a solution, add another symbol that will pluralize anything typed after it. Example:

emo swings his $sword at ~you.

The man swings his longswords at you.

I realize, that jsut like all of the other emoting symbols, it can be misused, but it could be useful.

booyah! Definilty. and $ seems as good as any.

It should be a quick code. In fact, I bet cyberpatrol or one of the others on board who happen to have a little experience with code could whip it up.

Except that the code would have to be able to differentiate between different pluralizations.

Longswords? Yes.

Inixs? No. Inixes.

Mouses? No. Mice.

etc. etc.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Quote from: "Cale_Knight"Except that the code would have to be able to differentiate between different pluralizations.quote]

Yes. You imms had better get to work. :wink:

While we're plugging for wishlist items in emotes, I sure wish that you could reference 2.objects in an emote.

emote jumps over ~2.table in an effort to throttle ~4.figure
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Yeah, that's what we need... MORE confusion in the emote targeting system.

I'll just do a grave injustice to my fingers by making them type out the extra characters that would comprise 'my blades'
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: "JollyGreenGiant"While we're plugging for wishlist items in emotes, I sure wish that you could reference 2.objects in an emote.

emote jumps over ~2.table in an effort to throttle ~4.figure

Pretty sure you can do that now.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

As mentioned before, I don't think something new really needs to be coded when you could just type "emote swings his wooden longswords through the air."

It's just another few keystrokes, won't kill you.
*blank* hmms to himself, carefully peeing across the ground.

Quote from: RaesanosI want to kill everyone.