idea

Started by King of the squid, July 12, 2005, 12:00:23 AM

Would their be any harm in allowing mounts to regain stamina(the same speed of which they would under normal circumstances) when the character riding them is quitted out?
Opinions?
**&*SHAKE YA TAILFEATHA!*^(^

I can't formulate an opinion because I don't understand exactly what you mean.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

I can't say if this happens or not...but this is something I think best addressed by the IDEA command.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Someone sounds a little irritated tonight. Perhaps they were trying to see what everyone thinks as a whole.
You do know that MUDsex is not a coded skill, right? -Nidhogg

Not before I get a second <sheath back> slot!

I don't agree with the idea. There is a difference between stabling a mount and just quitting out while riding a mount around in the wastes. I'd think that if your mount was gaining back all that lost stamina, you would as well. *shrug* I just see it along the lines of your pc has been riding around in the wastes while you were off doing rl things. And if that was the case, I could see how it could be used for not so 'kosher' reasons.
You do know that MUDsex is not a coded skill, right? -Nidhogg

Quote from: "corona"I don't agree with the idea. There is a difference between stabling a mount and just quitting out while riding a mount around in the wastes. I'd think that if your mount was gaining back all that lost stamina, you would as well. *shrug* I just see it along the lines of your pc has been riding around in the wastes while you were off doing rl things. And if that was the case, I could see how it could be used for not so 'kosher' reasons.

Thank you for clarifying for me.  I had no idea that the original poster was trying to ask about mounts quitting out WITH someone, because the wording seemed rather unclear to me.

And honestly, I don't think it's codedly possible.  PCs don't regain stamina/hps/stun while logged out, so it really wouldn't make sense for a mount to.

Oops, AK was me.  I forgot that I'd logged out.   :oops:
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

I'm of the opinion that if you log out for longer than 24 hours RL time your PC should regain full health at that point.  The long duration would keep people from logging out to avoid having to sleep in-game to heal bad wounds.

If your PC was logged out on a kank for 24+ hours then I don't see the harm in regenning the kank's stamina as well.

Definitely not some sort of system where you log out for an hour or two and log back in to find you are ready to go again, though.

nit picking
Why do people sometimes say "it's not code possible, the code doesn't work like this or it's impossible <insert some code reason>"

It's code, for cripes sake. _Everything_ is possible with code.  If it doesn't work now, it can when the code is changed.  The Imms work on the code all the time and things impossible before (keeping all your gear in your pack instead of your inventory, for example) are possible now because the code was changed.

I swear it's like some folks wear these blinders that say "Oh, its impossible because I can't figure out how to do it right now."

Rather say "That would be hard to code" (if you know anything about the code) or "I have no idea" (if you don't).

/nit picking

I think it is reasonable that when a mount is left standing by itself (unhitched) maybe it should regain stamina.  Maybe it shouuld be coded to rest if idle for a certain number of hours.  Even a kank needs to sleep.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

The concern over the difficulty of implementation of various features is, on the one hand, much appreciated.  That said, usually assumptions about how hard something is to code are mistaken ones, and often wildly mistaken, and often in exactly the opposite direction (ie. if you think something is super-hard to code it's probably trivial and vice versa).

As much as your concern for our (the coders') welfare is appreciated, it might be better to avoid discussions of implementation difficulty entirely on this board.  That includes, btw, the offerings of code-snippets people often include in their posts as examples.  "It's easy!  Here's the code:"

Thanks,
-  X

My concern for the difficulty stems from the fact that I IMM on another mud, and I know firsthand how difficult some things are to implement in the code, and that some things just won't work without causing HUGE problems.

Neat opinions, thanks. I hadn't thought of the idea command, I assumed that it would be best to ask other opinions before sending it to the staff.
**&*SHAKE YA TAILFEATHA!*^(^

Hey, squid, don't worry about our opinions.  Honestly, the only people whose opinions matter are the staff's.  Idea something and then ask our opnion on it.  That way the staff can see the idea, discuss it, figure out how easy/difficult it would be to implement...and all the while, we're discussing and they can discuss with us.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I don't like this idea.  Well..  Assuming you have rested your mount safely in the wastes and expecting to get it on full stamina just does not sound right.  Your char should take care of his/her mount IG, facing off any consequence it would bring along.  Simply a full proof safe way to rest your mount in the wastes?  No way.
some of my posts are serious stuff

function 3cheers4Xygax()
{
   for ( var i = 0; i < 3; i++ )
   {
       alert( "Cheer!" );
   }
}