Long description idea

Started by Hexxaex, July 08, 2005, 12:20:47 AM

I think it would be neat to be able to do something like:

<98 100 86>Change Ldesc A large wound on her neck, me stands here quietly
Your new ldesc is:
A large wound on her neck, the lean woman stands here quietly.

I've seen NPCs with things like this.

Thoughts on this?
*blank* hmms to himself, carefully peeing across the ground.

Quote from: RaesanosI want to kill everyone.

I like it. Even though I'm still on my first character, I find myself changing my long description often.

It would be nice to break from the monotony and be able to diverge from "X is here, grabbing his crotch."

Plus, it seems like a way to give information to other people so they don't walk in during a RP scene and get the wrong idea.
 get angry with myself all the time, so it's a fair chance that I'm already hating you.

This is a good idea, but I still find myself somehow against it.  In the end of the day, the way the long description is written is another way to identify a PC, and that is important.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Anything that gives more of a literary feel has a thumbs up in my book.  I think there is little reason to differentiate between PC and NPC since we are not really supposed to anyway.

Along those lines I have always wanted to use phrasings such as:

"Well shit", the grey wizened man says as he slams his fist down on the cracked bartop, "I really wanted that drink."  

The break in the phrasing gives a different feel than

The grey wizened man says as he slams his fist down on the cracked bartop, "Well shit, I really wanted that drink."

Yes you could break it into two seperate sentences, but like I said the "feel" is different.  Back to the original suggestion, I like it, variety and flexiblity with the emotes and descriptors is a good thing.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

Quote from: "Larrath"This is a good idea, but I still find myself somehow against it.  In the end of the day, the way the long description is written is another way to identify a PC, and that is important.

On the contrary, I think that blurring the distinction between PC and NPC is something to be strived for rather than avoided.  How often do we hear complaints about people singling out PCs when there are dozens (sometimes even hundreds) of NPCs and VNPCs about?

Myself, I like the idea simply because of the expressive variety it promises: Rather than being forced to regurgitate the same old sentence structure for our ldescs,  we would be granted a whole new level of creative freedom.

Eyes drooping from exhaustion, Ghardoan sags into his seat.

It's nice when people try to treat NPC's equally, but it's a lot easier to interact with PC, seeing as how most NPC's never talk.
Given the choice between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I would have the courage to betray my country." - E. M. Forster

I do like the idea of being able to break up phrases with emotes. I always have, but the emote system is hard to learn as is, and I don't see it having a major effect on things.
Sometimes I feel less like an immortal and more like a drug dealer.

I don't reckon it'd overly inconvenience those learning the emote system. Just like the recently added command emotes, it wouldn't be something anyone's forced to learn. Granted, it'll add some to the new player's confusion, especially when them tall figures in dusty  black, raptor-embroidered sandcloth headwraps get cracking.

Last this was brought up some concern for abuse marked it a no-go. The fear was people'd go:
change ldesc A stone lies here, obviously dropped by ~
and everyone'd get really confused, not just the new players. There's a sort of bigger problem though. Or maybe it's just cool, I can't make up my mind. Check it out:

A dingy bar [NESW]
This bar has a bar. A lot of drunkards are here having a jolly good time.
The stalwart, ubiquitous man stands here.
The tall, muscular man stands flanked by the short, stocky dwarf and the slender woman.

The short stocky dwarf gives a belch, leaping over a fallen Irishman; behind him, the slender woman and the tall, muscular man go around the prostrate man on the trio's way to the bar.

The three of them coming near, the slender woman says to you, in sirihish:
"You get off that stool or you get thrown off it by my brothers."

Of course, most of that is doable with what's already in place. I don't really think this'll tip the scales either. But there's a reason you can't start an emote with an ~, and if this is implemented we'll have to be reminded again.