subclass skills

Started by jmordetsky, July 04, 2005, 06:24:40 PM

Can you ever hope to be very skilled at the skills gained via your choice of subclass?

Or is this a find out IC...
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Do subclass skills ever branch?
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

I think it's safe to say that some one with the 'thief' subguild will never be as good at stealing as some one with a 'pickpocket' main guild. I hesitate to say anything more; it'd be best to find out IC.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Quote from: "Manhattan"Do subclass skills ever branch?
Someone on staff said no to this question on the board a long time ago I believe.

I also am 99% sure they said that a armorcraft subclass will never be as good as a merchant with armorcrafting, or something to that effect.

Quote from: "Tlaloc"Help Subguild

I figured that was the deal to start, but I'm curious if thats the case moving forward? For example a warrior wit ha thief sub who trains steal, will he ever get good?

www.j03m.com

jmordetsky wrote:
QuoteFor example a warrior wit ha thief sub who trains steal, will he ever get good?
I'd say that depends on what your idea of 'good' is.
I will say I've had characters who lived solely off their subguild skills. I will also say it wasn't easy.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Sure, a thief might get pretty good.
But.. if you fail. Just beat the target to death with their twinking arms.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "jmordetsky"
Quote from: "Tlaloc"Help Subguild

I figured that was the deal to start, but I'm curious if thats the case moving forward? For example a warrior wit ha thief sub who trains steal, will he ever get good?

The warrior won't be as good as a normal thief who tries to steal.

From Help Subguild:
A thief-based guild (burglar, pickpocket or assassin) will be a better thief than a warrior with the subguild of thief.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

A more important question might be, "will a warrior with subclass thief ever be good enough to expect a reasonable degree of success with his subclass skills?" I've only had a couple of subclass skills ever approach consistent usability, with the exception of subclasses that gave skills my main class would later branch.

Quote from: "jmordetsky"Can you ever hope to be very skilled at the skills gained via your choice of subclass?

Yes.

Quote from: "Rhyden"
Quote from: "jmordetsky"Can you ever hope to be very skilled at the skills gained via your choice of subclass?

Yes.

Thanks you. *bangs his head against the wall with frustration*

www.j03m.com

Just not -as- skilled as someone who has that skill in their primary class.  So a jeweler subguild can't master jewelry even though he can get pretty good at it.
ugar and Spice

Thanks to some work by Nessalin a while back, it -is- now possible for subguild skills to branch.  Finding out which subguild skills branch (in any) and when (if ever) is an excercise for the reader.

-- X

*blinks*
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Uh.. What the..
*blink* *blink*
Cool?

I get to twink my subskills now! Awesome.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime