Templar
3 (3.5%)
Warrior
14 (16.3%)
Water/Wind/Stone Elementalist
7 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Voting closed: July 02, 2005, 01:54:31 PM

I know we have a topic about your most enjoyable character, but here, I'm asking specifically about guild.  Which guild has given you the most enjoyable experience in Armageddon MUD?

I'm only on my third character, and I would say either Warrior or Pickpocket, but my Warrior didn't last long enough to really tell, so I say Pickpocket.

P.S.  Sorry, I had to bunch a lot of the options together so there wouldn't be too many.
Given the choice between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I would have the courage to betray my country." - E. M. Forster

I haven't tried most of the options since I only have a few karma points and don't want to special app for anything a person can earn karma for naturally...

But out of all the classes I've tried so far, ranger is the one I've enjoyed most. I just really like the sheer variety of auxilliary skills that come with it, or branch from it.

I tried a couple of the magick classes and they were great fun. I'll probably try them again, now that I have a better feel for magicks in the game from both the magicker and the "victim's" point of view, heh.

Ranger's the bomb diggety though, so far.

There are a lot of things I haven't tried, including some of the basic zero-karma ones.  I had a great time playing a ranger so that's what I picked.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

I've had less than 10 characters, and my best ones were rangers.  Warriors are too simple and can't branch much.  Rangers have the same amount of skills and higher skill caps alone than warrior would have with a subclass.  There's so much flexibility with rangers, because even if you want to go down the fighting path, you can do that with a ranger, but with added bonuses.  Sure, as a ranger you'll have a bit of a lower skill cap for fighting, but it's very rare that people do uber themselves up enough to actually be warrior maxxed.
*blank* hmms to himself, carefully peeing across the ground.

Quote from: RaesanosI want to kill everyone.

I voted ranger because they do dominate, and are the only class I've found that can be as enjoyable in the wastes as they can be in the cities.

I also think Rangers have a little too much going for them but that's another argument for another time.

Quote...because even if you want to go down the fighting path, you can do that with a ranger, but with added bonuses.

?????

Err.. by the way.. Rukkians rock.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

I voted Psionicist/Sorceror.

Even though I've never played one, they probably get the awesome0rest skillz.

And that's what the game's about, right?
subdue thread
release thread pit

I want to vote psionicist/sorceror because my two wickedest character concepts are for a psionicist and a sorceror, respectively.

I'm just going to vote burglar, though, because I probably won't ever send any high-karma special apps in for fear of rejection. Burglars are totally sweet and almost the 'city rangers', in my opinion. A little dash of everything awesome.

warrios cos theyre super buff
rangers suck unless you have a crafter subclass cos wat te hell you gonna do with a buncha duskhorn hide and mekillot bone
did i mention warriors cos they super buff?
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

Templar
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Depends greatly on character concept, but Ranger is the most versitile by far.  Second would be burglar and merchants can definently be entertaining given the right situation.

I dont count magickers; You can't compare them to the mundane.  Apples and oranges
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

I didn't vote for it, but I'd say Templar even though I havn't played one. Come on, you get to be good at practically everything, be involved in practically everything, and meet practically everyone in the Known World. Now who wouldn't want to experience something like that, huh?  :roll:
Here is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen.  -   Sean O'Faolain

Revelations.. Try to play an independent burglar. ;)
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

You think:
"No! Please leave me be whoever you are."

You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind.

Very, very, very close for me between merchant and ranger but in the end I chose merchant just because I had one merchant who topped the rest of my ranger characters.

Assassins.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Hah!  Rangers got more votes than all of the karma guilds put together.  There should probably be a seperate poll for just the non-karma guilds, because I really doubt that all the mage guilds (elementalists, Templars, and sorcerers) actually suck that much, it is more likely that most people just have more experience with non-karma guilds, and voted for guilds they have played.  Mages are a difficult role on Arm, but not -that- bad.

I like merchants, rangers and mages.  I've never really gotten into the shady side of things, even when I had a shady guild (assassins, pickpockets, burglars).  Warriors are ok, but I dislike combat, and if you are going to have a non-combat warrior  (effectively a skill-less character) you might as well have a mage.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Ghost"Assassins.

You are probably the worst playing assassin behind the screen....I have seen Twinks
play better than you :wink:  

Now on topic, Templars are the best...None of the other guilds can simply touch it,
However the role is 80% politics. Everyone should try it once.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Quote from: "Manhattan"rangers suck unless you have a crafter subclass cos wat te hell you gonna do with a buncha duskhorn hide and mekillot bone
did i mention warriors cos they super buff?

Rangers are not skilled crafters.
There are other things they can do with the supplies they manage to get their hands on. They can market the duskhorn, mekillot, and other spoils they have, in the market or supply independant merchants and houses for an exchange of coin. Also, rangers could get paid just by leading people through storms.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: "Rhyden"Very, very, very close for me between merchant and ranger but in the end I chose merchant just because I had one merchant who topped the rest of my ranger characters.

Yea, same here.

Merchants can make people jump stupid. They can even make the most stubborn tempalar -love- them. Merchants tend to make long-lived characters, if you are doing what a merchant is suppose to be doing. Also, they can make fancy items from the simplest of things.

Rangers, on the other hand, are really useful people. Thats what makes me so interested in them. They do have those little coded advantages most of the playerbase tend to love. If theres a ranger out there without work, then theres something wrong with them.

Really, it depends on what I want at the moment.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Nine out of ten of my characters have been warrriors, simply because I never played a long-lived ranger and got to experience how versatile they really are. They're a less beefy, more dangerous version of a warrior. Sure, a warrior might beat me in straight up melee, but what about if I stand off and feather him awhile? :)

So, my vote goes for ranger, but maybe I'm just sheltered, because I've never played a halfway decent merchant or burglar.

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Heh.

Assassins are rangers -inside- the city.  Don't see why it doesn't have more votes...people must not play them well.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: "Armaddict"Assassins are rangers -inside- the city.  Don't see why it doesn't have more votes...people must not play them well.

Yes.  But playing them is harder.  Assassins are slower when compared to rangers.  Slower, and harder to play.  That is probably why, people don't like them as much.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "Ghost"
Quote from: "Armaddict"Assassins are rangers -inside- the city.  Don't see why it doesn't have more votes...people must not play them well.

Yes.  But playing them is harder.  Assassins are slower when compared to rangers.  Slower, and harder to play.  That is probably why, people don't like them as much.

It is harder for an Assassin to make a living off their starting skills.  A ranger can make a modest living off foraging . . . well, I guess any character could make a modest living from foraging (as long as there aren't too many foragers at one time) but rangers have the advantage of being outside where there are lots of things to forager.  An assassin wandering outside to dig up chunks of salt just feels weird.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I picked the lightning/fire/void elementalist one (I think those were the ones in it) because fire mages just seem like the coolest thing in the world to me, although I've never played one. :D

It must be the thought of roasted bodies falling to the ground just by simply saying some cool words.

I can't wait to play one! 8)
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

I picked ranger despite the fact that my only ranger didn't do much ranging. In more than thirty days he still couldn't kill anything with a bow. I have, however, seen what an experienced ranger can do. Oh man.

My extremely close second, and sometimes first, would be warrior, for reasons that are an eventual product of their skills and abilities. Two out of three of my warriors have made up well over half my 7 years playing Armageddon, because they can survive a lot of the silly, unsatisfying things that kill off lesser pcs. With that much time behind a character, you really get a deeper roleplaying experience and eventually a good night of pillow-biting when he or she dies. I suppose you can get the same thing with a smartly-played merchant, but the idea of playing one never appealed to me. My choices should make it clear that I prefer the action roles.
Dig?