Tuluk: barbarians?

Started by Selie, June 28, 2005, 10:32:05 PM

Everyone says "oh, Tuluk is full of barbarians! those damn barbarians! Tuluk barbarians don't care about manners or civilization! Rar hulk smash!"

Yet, from the official page, "The society of Tuluk is based on strong ritual and symbolism. In all parts of its culture, levels of knowledge are unusually high, yet practical applications of knowledge were few. The citizens of the north have a well known hunger for art of any kind and of any quality. Magickers are shun like evil itself, and usually killed on sight."

My big point here is the appreciation of art. The emphasis on art, on music, on learning and such, indicates to me a level of civilization. Also, a very highly developed caste system is not something you'd find in your run-of-the-mill uncivilization. I'm inclined to believe that Tuluk is much more civilized than people give it credit for, and that people say it's full of barbarians because that's what people say and that's how it's supposed to be. It just doesn't sound very barbaric to me. Granted, I haven't been there, so my opinion is based solely on what I've read on the official website (and help files) and what's been posted by people on the board.

That said, I think I must be wrong here. The alternative is that Tuluk is like the Vikings, who are considered barbarians (plunder, pillage, burn, smash!) but who valued skill with words and a poetic tongue about as much as they valued skill with a sword. I've written a paper or two on this, on awesome Viking epic poetry, and it occurred to me that perhaps this could be the explanation for why Tuluk seems like a paradox to me. Is that the case? Is Tuluk a strange combination of extreme civility and extreme barbarism?

I'd appreciate some help on this subject, since I'm trying to learn everything I can. Obviously, to my Allanak-citizen character, Tuluk is full of damn barbarians, regardless of what is said here. But as a player, I'd like to puzzle this one out. Why, on first reading the information before playing, did I get the impression that Tuluk was the sophisticated, artistic city?
 hate everything. No really.

That's completely an Allanaki sentiment.  Any docs/posts/etc written that way should imply a southern perspective on the matter.

The North (Tuluk) and South (Allanak) do not get a long very well.

If you spend time in the Tuluk, you will hear bad things about the Allanak. If you live in the Allanak, you will hear bad things about Tuluk. Thats about all I can say (I think).

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: "Selie"Everyone says "oh, Tuluk is full of barbarians! those damn barbarians! Tuluk barbarians don't care about manners or civilization! Rar hulk smash!"
No, not everyone. Only those damn nakkies.

People (as in, players who say it on the GDB) are normally just kidding when they say Tuluk is full of barbarians, don't worry ;) Tuluk is an artistic and sophisticated city. Those damn nakkies are just jealous.

I don't see why 'nakkis use the insult, when it's obviously ridiculous. They should say "oh, those pansy artistic Tulukians!".

Then again, I don't see how Tuluk's knowledge and culture developed when it's been so oppressed...

Barbarism is subjective.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Cuusardo said it perfectly. Barbarian, whats the word mean? From what I remember Barbaric simply uncivilized.

Allanak is civilization, and tuluk overthrew civilization, and wasn't civiliz...

blah blah blah. Nakki's call em barbarians. And the word is as cuus said, subjective.
Veteran Newbie

Quote from: "History Docs"c.400
A hitherto unkown warrior named Muk Utep sacks the twelve tribes at Gol Krathu with an army of terrible barbarians out of the northwest. The tribes called the Elves of Mallok and the Twin Warlocks are among the conquered. The city-state of Tuluk begins to rise under Utep the Sun King

That is likely where the term began..
Here is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen.  -   Sean O'Faolain

Hmm, okay. So when people say that there shouldn't be nobility in Tuluk because Tuluk is barbarian anyway, they're joking? That's what really prompted my confusion. I wouldn't have guessed, but I don't know Zalanthas well enough to detect subtle humor concerning it.

People who say that there shouldn't be nobility in Tuluk are mostly people who are playing in Allanak, I think. So they think Tulukis are barbarians, indeed. They are joking or loving 'nak too deeply. But we know where is the truth! :twisted:

Oooh, interesting.

My next character idea is something I thought would fit better in Tuluk - the civilized interpretation, not the wild barbarian interpretation. So when my current Nakki character gets slaughtered somehow (horribly, no doubt), perhaps I'll up and move to Tuluk, see what I think of it and see what it's REALLY like. Hard to get an unbiased answer from anybody, so I better come up with my own biased answer!

Tuluk and Nak have two different manners in which they go about living their lives. Just looking at the fighting styles of each citystate gives you an idea of their mindset, as well as clothing styles. If you like the straight to the point attitude, Nak is for you. Tuluk is generally more of the colorful yet subtle mindset.
Here is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen.  -   Sean O'Faolain

Quote from: "Elgiva"People who say that there shouldn't be nobility in Tuluk are mostly people who are playing in Allanak, I think. So they think Tulukis are barbarians, indeed. They are joking or loving 'nak too deeply.

I think so too.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

I always love the original.
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

Quote from: "Selie"Hmm, okay. So when people say that there shouldn't be nobility in Tuluk because Tuluk is barbarian anyway, they're joking?
More then likely ;) (or they're very misunderstood about the game :P). Players might OOCly have reasons for wanting Tuluk to have no nobility, but them being barbarians isn't one of them ;)

Having said that, Allanaki characters are prejudiced. Some (especially the nobility and those that deal with them a lot) wouldn't see Tuluk's nobility as being real nobles. This is ICly fine for them to think that. One reason for someone to a person's a noble is because they have special blood in their veins. Tuluki don't have Southern noble blood running through their veins, so therefore Allanakies might not recognize Tuluk's nobility as having noble blood.

Some quick differences in which Tuluk could be considered culturally superior:
* They have formal groups whose main purpose is to train bards.
* They admire artful stealing and assassining (in my personal opinion the most artful assassinations being those that no-one realizes was an assassination).
* They dislike blood being shed publically.

These of course can be twisted around to make them sound bad points "oh all those Tuluki are thieving killers. As bad as elves." But they aren't all thieves. That's just Allanakies (or their players) being prejudiced.

Even though it says in the docs that Tuluk is the "city of the arts", the reality is somewhat different.  In Tuluk, you are likely to find more art, but like the docs say, it's mostly very tribal.  It's primarily rhythm based, harmonically very simple, and also the subject matter deals with accessible things.  Because of this accessibility, the music reaches a much wider audience, and is thus seen as "more popular", especially with the common folk.

Allanak is quite a bit different.  It is the oldest civilization in the known world, having never been overthrown since its inception.  As such, its musical and artistic tastes are much more developed.  Some of the Tuluki music reaches Allanak, so of course there is some influence.  But the really advanced music in nak deals with the abstract...for example, figurative language in the lyrics, weird uses of time and tonality, etc.  This music really isn't accessible to the common people, so its popularity is confined to the ranks of the Noble houses, whose members pride themselves on understanding and appreciating advanced music.  In my head, it's sort of the difference between early drum & bass music, or even the better pop music (Tuluk) and super contemporary jazz (Allanak).

So in this sense, Tuluk -is- barbarian, compared to Allanak.  The correct term is "tribal", but barbarian is a much better word in terms of it's implication, especially for the propagation of northern hatred in Allanak.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Quote from: "John"Some quick differences in which Tuluk could be considered culturally superior:
* They have formal groups whose main purpose is to train bards.
* They admire artful stealing and assassining (in my personal opinion the most artful assassinations being those that no-one realizes was an assassination).
* They dislike blood being shed publically.

Actually, your last example is the only actual difference between Tuluk and Allanak that you mentioned.
Back from a long retirement

QuoteActually, your last example is the only actual difference between Tuluk and Allanak that you mentioned.

If that's really the case, then something seems to be utterly wrong with Allanak.
Quote from: VanthA well-placed grunt can be worth a thousand words.

Nak doesn't have any focus upon training solely bards, and they enjoy the public executions better than the silently disappearing acts that Tuluk is seemingly famous for. Seems different to me.

Forget about the formalized Tuluki training...that is so not a defining cultural element.  In reality, all it does is create a bunch of homogenized bards that all basically sinng the same songs.  So I suppose it is culturally defining, but not the positive, creatively progressive way that so many people are talking about.

Don't forget: some of the most brilliant musicians of our time had no formal training, and I think that would certainly be the case on Zalanthas as well.

It never fails.  These threads always turn into bashing of one city or the other.

Really? I want to play a Tuluk person now. They ARE like the Vikings. That makes them awesome.

And a lot of these threads have had some really interesting ideas. It's enough to intrigue me. What is it about Tuluk that makes it impossible for people to define? I must know! Why does everyone disagree so much? Why does it sound like there are two parts of Tuluk that just don't line up? INTERESTING STUFF.

It seems like there is some city bashing (funny, I thought we could keep that IC-only), but there's also a lot of reasonable discussion...

Quote from: "Cuusardo"It never fails.  These threads always turn into bashing of one city or the other.

I hope you weren't referring to me, because that was completely not my point.

Southerners call northerners barbarians.  Northerners call southerners barbarians.  From my perspective as a Canadian both cities are pretty barbaric, so both the northeners and southerners are correct.  :)

Examples of northern barbarism:

-- A relatively large (compared to Allanak) portion of the population work outside the city as hunters and forresters. In Allanak most people that work outside the city are scavengers, they mine salt, obsidian, or collect whatever looks valuable out there because they are desperate, uncouth and unskilled.  Hunters working out of Allanak are quite possibly a little derranged, hunting gigantic predators in the barren desert isn't something many people would choose to try, and it is nearly impossible to make a profit hunting scrabs with a bow.  The situation in Tuluk is different, the collection of raw materials is necessary for the city's artisans so it may be better thought of even if gathering isn't actually considered an art itself, and hunting is somewhat easier to break into -- you don't have to be insane to be a hunter working out of Tuluk.

--  The so-called nobility is little better than a bunch of trumped up merchants.  They rub shoulders with dirty commoners, tribals, and even hideous mutants, and completely fail to instill a sense of proper fear and respect in the populace.  When the south was trying to civilize them after their city had nearly destroyed itself, the populace showed a
baffling lack of gratitude and respect to the occupation forces in general and the visiting nobility in particular.  Without the intervention and stabalizing hand of Allanak there might not even be a city within the scaien today!

--  Tribalism isn't just tollerated, it is encourged.  Years after the rebelion, the army of savages the northerners collected still have not been integrated into the population, nor driven out of the city.  People who were born in the city, in many cases whose parents were born in the city, are still dressing like wilderness savages, maintaining their own backward customs and beliefs.  That can only lead to a fractured cultural identity and future chaos.  

-- The so-called Templarate are nothing more than a bunch of superstitous witch-hunters.  Unable to control even the weakest of elementalists, instead they destroy all of them, cutting themselves off from valuable tools.  Unable to stop murder and theivery in the streets, they instead license and tax it!

-- Spice.  Even the most dangerous varieties of spice can be purchased and inbibed openly, in public places.  Crazed, spice-addled savages run through the streets at will.  Tuluk is Red Storm writ large, a place of lawlessness and disorder.

--  Fashion.  Tuluki fashions show a deplorable lack of decorum and good taste.

Examples of Allanaki Barbarism:

Lack of apreciation for the arts, nobels sexing up commoners, the existance of half-noble bastards, public torture and executions, vulgar displays of magick, crude art and archetecture, rampent crime with criminals allowed to take over a large section of the city, elementalists allowed to take over a large section of the city, superstitious fear of spice, etc.

No one in Zalanthas is promoting multi-culturalism, so if people are different than you, they must be inferior.  The people who do not live the way you live are sub-human.  It isn't necessary to point out thatl the people who live in Red Storm or the Tablelands barbarians, because it is obvious that they are not civilized people.  The two big cities are in competition, and they are not good sports about it.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Nice to see you again, AC.
some of my posts are serious stuff