Who shouted that?

Started by Hexxaex, June 24, 2005, 03:44:28 PM

One thing that has been an annoyance for a while is the deal with shouting how you can't make out who said it, just if the voice was male or female.  I would think that if you've spoken to this one person a lot, or even just a few minutes, you would know their voice well enough to recognize it when they shout.  Suppose there's a man, an elf, a half-giant, and a dwarf, and they all shout something to the next room.  Even if you've just spoken with each one of them, they'll all come up with saying it's just a male's voice.  I think it's easy enough to tell between some races (like half-giant, deep and booming for example), and much easier to tell from person to person.

Is there any way that it can be coded that if you speak to someone long enough, you'll recognize them when they shout?
*blank* hmms to himself, carefully peeing across the ground.

Quote from: RaesanosI want to kill everyone.

I disagree for the most part.  Except in circumstances when you are used to hearing the person yell, like a Byn sergeant or something, you don't necessary know what they sound like when they are shouting.  At least that's been my experience.

Sorta like singers.  Robert Plant talks a lot different than he sings.

I've always thought that when you have hooded figures speaking, you should be able to determine whether it's a male or female voice speaking.  There have been times where there have been people hooded in the same cloak (same height, so you can't see the difference between figures) and someone else mistook what one said for the other saying it.  In one particular instance, a male hooded person made a snarky remark, and the other hooded person who was a female, was assumed by the third person to have said it.  Had there been code telling us it was a male voice that said it, it would have avoided the confusion it caused.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

I like that idea, Cuu.

Also, I have to agree with CRW about the shouting.  A shouting voice is quite distorted.  You could probably tell a half-giant's voice, just because they're so much bigger and their voice will be louder by nature.  As for the other races, I'm not sure if it's ever been clarified how distinctive their voices might be, and if it would be possible to distinguish an elf or dwarf by voice.  (Which also opens a can of worms with half-elves, as well.)

I agree Cuusardo.

I also think that in the dark one should be able to tell a male voice from a female voice (codewise).
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Quote from: "flurry"
I also think that in the dark one should be able to tell a male voice from a female voice (codewise).

I believe you already can.  :D
Here is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen.  -   Sean O'Faolain

Oops.  I thought you couldn't.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

In the dark you can. but in the light, with three, short, hood figures.

you can't tell.
Veteran Newbie

You see male/female voices or descs when

1. Invisible
2. Dark
3. Wearing something on the face

That's all that I'm aware of

Maybe a..

The figure in the black, hooded aba with a male voice says, in sirihish:
  "Oh yeah?"
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

I actually find that if I yell loud enough, my voice sounds totaly different
'm into the desert on a horse with no name
It feels good to be out of the rain
In the desert you can't remember your name
'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain

Was thinking that maybe if you were watching in a direction, you could actually see who shouted?
*blank* hmms to himself, carefully peeing across the ground.

Quote from: RaesanosI want to kill everyone.