A simple idea that could evolve.

Started by sacac, June 24, 2005, 12:33:51 PM

I was thinking, with the given standard emotes like "whistle," could it be changed so that whistle is heard in the adjacent rooms?

I think it would be a good idea, but that is jsut me. Ideas? Any other standard emotes like this you want changed?
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

Also, I believe instruments that would likely be heard in a large distance be changed as well. War drums and whistle reeds would be much more realisticly used if they could be used to convey signals. I believe in feudal japan, the police force would use whistles to centralize the locations of any trouble, and thus bring more help in that direction. Although we have psionics in game that could do similar functions (and it seems NPC soldiers are amazing at that currently) I think in more primitive places such a thing would be a welcome addition. Such instruments could be used in parties as well for various reasons, I'm sure.
Here is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen.  -   Sean O'Faolain

I think for Whistle, shout really covers is....Shout *a high pitched whistle*...Bit of a hack.

However, on instruments, a general class of items that did that would cool.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

jmordetsky
QuoteShout *a high pitched whistle*...
Problem with that is that the group of non-Sirihish speaking desert elves that have been stalking you won't know it's a whistle.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Do emotes for shouts carry over to adjacent rooms though? I don't believe so, which I think is the reason the thread was posted.
Here is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen.  -   Sean O'Faolain

No, they don't.
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

Quote from: "FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit"jmordetsky
QuoteShout *a high pitched whistle*...
Problem with that is that the group of non-Sirihish speaking desert elves that have been stalking you won't know it's a whistle.

Ah...yes....shite.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

I'm fairly certain that words surrounded by asterisks (or possibly even lines) are exempt from language scrambling.  Not sure whether it will only catch one word or an entire set of words, though.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

You could also probably type the words in all caps, but then there is the question of is this really the way "shout" should be used, and is it an abuse of some kind?

Well, I'n pretty sure the sound of a whistle is the sound of a whistle, in any language. Even Mantis prolly think it's a word of some kind.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Nice!

I like it.
some of my posts are serious stuff