Storing versus Dying

Started by JohnGalt, June 20, 2005, 06:55:33 PM

The staff agree that storing is superior to suicide, which I completely agree with as well.  But, I have heard through the great vine that having quite a few stored characters on one's account is viewed negatively when applying for special roles.  Is this true?  If so, why, if storing is preferrable to suicide?  How much wood can a wood chuck chuck, if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

QuoteHow much wood can a wood chuck chuck, if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

As much wood as a woodchuck would chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood.   8)
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Often the reason people ask to retire/store/delete a character is that they "have lost interest in the character/role."  People are certainly welcome and encouraged to play something that trips their trigger -- however, personally I'm less inclined to put in extra work for someone who has a long and recent history of giving up on roles after only a short period.  Particularly if those are roles staff worked with them on developing in the first place.

In other words, while "storing" may in some ways be considered more appropriate than suiciding for OOC reasons (rather than IC reasons), that doesn't make it a "good" thing to do.  The specific circumstances ultimately dictate what is shrugged off and what is pondered further, when looking at special roles -- it's not simple black & white.

-Savak
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]

Quote from: "JohnGalt"If so, why, if storing is preferrable to suicide?
Because the reason for storing/suiciding is the same, it's just the staff can keep track of one but not the other. So if doing either is going to affect their judgment, then they'd rather keep track of it.

As Savak said, the reasons are often more important than the amount of storage.

If every one of your pcs has a note similar to

Stored due to boredom

I'll worry that you'll get bored easily in my role. If every merchant you ever play gets stored after a few days, I'll think twice before confining you to another merchant role.

That isn't to say that I'll just dismiss the application out of hand, what is much more likely to happen is that I'll email you to ask why you think this merchant pc will interest you when other have not.

I don't see excessive storage notes as being negative, but they could open up another avenue of questioning while looking over an application.

In the same way if everyone of your merchant characters has died to a scrab or a vestric a few days in, I'll probably wonder if you did it on purpose, and ask the same kind of question.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

However, on the other hand, please be honest if you're storing because you're bored or the role isn't right for you.  It's just silly if you tell your imm on a sponsored role that you're storing because you "don't have time to play", then the day after your PC is stored you make a new one which you proceed to play 12 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

Quote from: "Vanth"However, on the other hand, please be honest if you're storing because you're bored or the role isn't right for you.  It's just silly if you tell your imm on a sponsored role that you're storing because you "don't have time to play", then the day after your PC is stored you make a new one which you proceed to play 12 hours a day, 7 days a week.

My one store. was  (after hearing a GREAT quote)  because I was thinking oh crap.. this is just a revenge character.. (insert 2 month break) But the quote was worth it :)
As the great German philosopher Fred Neechy once said:
   That which does not kill us is gonna wish it had because we're about to FedEx its sorry ass back to ***** Central where it came from. Or something like that."

My rule of thumb:

I do something crazy that will get my character killed if he's an unimportant nobody.  So it goes.  People die every day on Zalanthas.

If it's an important character (noble, family member, a character with a lot of PC connections) store it.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Quote from: "Vanth"However, on the other hand, please be honest if you're storing because you're bored or the role isn't right for you.  It's just silly if you tell your imm on a sponsored role that you're storing because you "don't have time to play", then the day after your PC is stored you make a new one which you proceed to play 12 hours a day, 7 days a week.

That can happen though. I once stored a character telling an Imm (Mekeda, actually) that I wouldn't have time to play due to a volunteer project I had taken on.

It turned out a few months (perhaps even less) later that  I had plenty of free time.  I felt bad on one hand, but its hard to know these things for certain.  If we could unstore characters, I would have taken that one back.

Anyways, sorry Mekeda!
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Quote from: "moab"That can happen though. I once stored a character telling an Imm (Mekeda, actually) that I wouldn't have time to play due to a volunteer project I had taken on.

It turned out a few months (perhaps even less) later that  I had plenty of free time.  I felt bad on one hand, but its hard to know these things for certain.  If we could unstore characters, I would have taken that one back.

What Vanth is talking about are the instances where we see someone start logging on and playing very long hours the very next day after storing because they 'had no time'.  It happens more often then you would guess.  In those instances, we just want you to be honest with us.  

We don't want to force -anyone- to play a character they don't want to play.  In fact, there have been instances where we as staff have stored someones character because they've told us numerous times that they aren't enjoying it.  People sometimes seem to forget that games are supposed to be fun to play, not burdens to be dreaded.  

I would never hold a mismatch between character and player against that player.  I would question a very similar application made to the one stored, however.  But, as others have said, having characters stored is not something that on its own will stop us from approving anyone.
brainz: it's what's for dinner.

I didn't know that a 'note' was made as to why a character was stored, that makes me feel infinitely better about storing, as often times I play temporary characters which I intend to kill off/throw away once I land a more interesting role which can take a couple weeks at times.  My reasons for storing being noted removes any possibility of people misunderstanding this, so I feel better now.

Back to slaughtering innocents then *waves*

QuoteWhat Vanth is talking about are the instances where we see someone start logging on and playing very long hours the very next day after storing because they 'had no time'. It happens more often then you would guess. In those instances, we just want you to be honest with us.

What I see is that a large part to majority of players are in "transitional" stages of life.  The class that should have been an easy A, actually takes three hours of study a night.  The job that was supposed to take up fourty hours a week fell to part time.  Etc.  It's hard for people to predict.

Understanding how easily things change and how often this "problem" comes up, should give validity to the idea players are honest about these sort of things.  

Anyhow, I'm glad notes are posted.  Storing characters is complicated and for many a tough choice.  It's nice to know the staff cares enough to show they recognize the complexity of deciding to store a character.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

People die in Zalanthas everyday. So when I get bored of a nobody PC, I just throw him at the closest templar and badabing, time for a new role.

But I was wondering, what are the IG stories of the PC's whereabouts after they get stored?
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

In clans, I've heard stories about stored PCs dying, moving into another branch, being imprisoned, having kids and settling down, disappearing/being disappeared or just getting VNPCfied. I've heard whispered rumors about NPC-fied PCs, but I really don't know.
For example, my PC often talks to a VNPC who used to be a PC in past, but got stored.
Funny, eh?
Quote from: VanthA well-placed grunt can be worth a thousand words.

Do the imms look down at you if you stored a pc to play a different Imm sponsored PC?
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

I stored my last four characters... Two of them were for playing sponsored roles, one was my sponsored character was forced retired because of my lack of playing times (I sometimes feel sad about it really why I could not find more time for ARM in that period). And well.. One was just I was really bored with him.. and he was neither weak enough nor stupid enough to suicide or kill himself.

Shortly, I highly prefer storing rather then suicide or killing your PC for nothing. I have seen characters simply insulting templars, or hitting the most pancy looking PC in public tavern. Those kinds of actions do not make sense and really harms game envorment. Also because of boredom other PCs may have to suffer some really big IC consequences.

/detrailment about sponsored roles/

On the other hand, IMHO sponsored roles like merchant, noble and even templar give a lot of responsibility to players both OOC and IC. Playing game may really become a kind of job.  Just for other players you find yourself in obligation to login and spend a couple of hours. I believe only those who wishes to play those roles must accept at least think of these consesquances they may face. I kinda feel playing leadership roles are similiar to being an IMM from a perspective. Think your clan IMM decides not to login game for one month...
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

Yes, but if you enjoy your role, and like playing, then it isn't anywhere close to a job, it's more of a play time. That should be the reason why you choose to play a sponsored role, because you would enjoy playing it.
Here is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen.  -   Sean O'Faolain

Quote from: "Revelations"Yes, but if you enjoy your role, and like playing, then it isn't anywhere close to a job, it's more of a play time. That should be the reason why you choose to play a sponsored role, because you would enjoy playing it.
It's sort of impossible to know that prior to playing one though.  Not to mention different Immortal styles can have a real impact on how much of a job that role feels like.  This isn't a criticism of the staff just an observation of how different people respond to different styles.  The best roles I've played have all had a lot of freedom and no schedules.  I despise schedules in this game because it's my free time, my job is intense enough without having to be somewhere at a certain time when I'm playing a game.  For others, the schedule is guaranteed interaction time and a chance to see how their skills are progressing, etc.  Some people enjoy the game more because of structure.

There are just too many variables to know whether or not the role will be a good fit going in.  That's why I've tried to avoid Immortal-sponsored roles because I don't want to either have to endure a role I discover to be dreary or retire and get earmarked as unreliable.

QuoteThere are just too many variables to know whether or not the role will be a good fit going in. That's why I've tried to avoid Immortal-sponsored roles because I don't want to either have to endure a role I discover to be dreary or retire and get earmarked as unreliable.

I guess it's different for some people. Then again, I don't tend to pick imm sponsored roles unless it was something I had planned on doing before...so I guess it's from different perspectives.

QuoteThe best roles I've played have all had a lot of freedom and no schedules. I despise schedules in this game because it's my free time, my job is intense enough without having to be somewhere at a certain time when I'm playing a game. For others, the schedule is guaranteed interaction time and a chance to see how their skills are progressing, etc. Some people enjoy the game more because of structure.

I don't like schedules either, but it's a good place to start. The ideal would if everyone knew what they wanted to do, but since alot of people typically don't all the time, a schedule was made to help out. By having a schedule though, the only realistic reaction would be to follow what the schedule says except for leaders, under whatever penalty exists for that particular clan. *shrug* That's one the good things about leaders.
Here is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen.  -   Sean O'Faolain

I don't think storing a character should earmark anyone as unreliable.  If anything, taking your noble to die a silent, meaningless death in the sea of silt should mark you as that.
I actually did that once, and haven't regretted it, but it was also a new character that had just about zero impact on the world and I got impatient after waiting above an hour or so to get stored.

The point I wanted to make here is that I don't think anyone should look at a role as a staff role or as a regular role.  The character I play is my role, and that is that.  It's my responsibility to make realistic characters that I can find interest in, especially if this affects others (in the form of leadership, through staff or not).

If you're bored with the role, try to resolve it ICly if possible.  If not, think about asking your clan imm for advice or going to the GDB as a Kank and ask for ideas.

Only ask to be stored if you're absolutely sure there's nothing you can do, and you should be fine.  Personally, I haven't regretted any retirements that I've done, and this includes the trip to the Sea of Silt.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Storing a character will not get you "marked" as anything.  Storing or suiciding a series of characters -- especially ones involved in plots -- may lead to a general aversion to involving you in plots (though admittedly, plots often happen in spite of this, and we all go with the flow), and to putting you into leadership positions...  a strong, successful leader exhibits staying-power and the ability to keep a role interesting through even the dullest of dolldrums.

That said, this history remains a part of your account regardless of the method of your demise.  Suicide and storage look a lot alike when your account character-history is four windows of scroll.

Overall, however, storage has a number of advantages for you and for us, and so we prefer it to suicide.  Please take the time to use this route, instead of suicide.

-- X