Login Menu Options Idea

Started by Bestatte, June 18, 2005, 06:53:28 PM

I'd like to hear opinions on this, and maybe someone on the coding side of staff can chime in with their thoughts.

We all get to see a list of the characters we've played previously. I'd LOVE to see the start and end dates (real time) for each character next to the character's name.

Start date would be the date of approval for the PC, end date would be the actual date of death/retirement/storage.

Discuss.

Sounds like a pretty cute addition.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

That would have to depend on if they even have that dated -saved-?

Im sure its documented somwhere...emails...etc.

But...pfiles still exist? I think it'd be cool -if- they did...to be enabled. (as suggested)
Veteran Newbie

Well...when your character dies, there's some kind of tag that goes on the character so that the login menu can "remember" that the character even existed in the first place, and that it's "Dead" or "Retired" or "Stored"

So I'm suggesting the start and end date be added to that part of the code that does all that stuff. Or, if the dates are already added, but just not visible to the player, that it be made visible.

I think it'd be a neat idea. Something else I'd love to see would be if you could somehow view your previous characters (if you can't already, which I haven't been able to find if you can).
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

I've always seen my previous characters listed whenever I ask for account notes.

Would be cool, but I'd rather see other code additions then this.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Yes they're on your account notes, but I don't think it should be necessary to ask for account notes every few months just so you can see how long your 27th character lasted, or which period of the game's history/plotlines the character lived in.

Not to mention that I lost -all- my e-mail for the past four years when my computer crashed...so I don't even have the account notes I was sent, when I did ask for them.

Then there are some e-mail programs that don't keep anything past "x" amount of time - I know one that deletes anything over 30 days old unless you pay extra to have them all archived.

As for other things, RM, yes there are a bunch of things I'd love to see, things that are broken (poison/brew) and things that could be improved (crime code). But I was putting this out just in case it turns out to be something relatively uninvolved, that some coder could toss onto the existing menu system.

I know the coders have done some pretty nifty "gee whiz" things in the past that haven't taken too much effort/time on their part. So *IF* this is one of them, I think it would be a nice little convenience.

Possibly allow to see previous characters' decriptions, statistics, background...

...maybe get a kill-count of your character? (Sidesteps to avoid a ginka fruit being thrown at him).

But also, it would definitely be neat to see IC and OOC date of creation and death/storage/other kind of thing that will immobilize your character forever. As well, how you died/what killed you? Number of days played and duration IC?

I know some of these would be pretty hard to code, but I'm just tossing out ideas whether good or bad.

Quote from: "Rhyden"Possibly allow to see previous characters' decriptions, statistics, background...

But also, it would definitely be neat to see IC and OOC date of creation and death/storage/other kind of thing that will immobilize your character forever. As well, how you died/what killed you? Number of days played and duration IC?

-snickers- I think you mean Immortalize?

* Throws a poisoned ginka fruit at you *
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

This would be awesome. The I could find out if I actually do have the shortest living PC in history.

This information is stored with each character, so it might be something that is included at some point.  Did you submit it via the idea command?

Quote from: "Raesanos"This information is stored with each character, so it might be something that is included at some point.  Did you submit it via the idea command?

I wanted to get a general concensus first - but yeah I idea'd it erm..around 15 minutes ago :)

Thanks!