The Color Red

Started by Revelations, June 10, 2005, 08:33:14 PM

So, reading somewhere that Zalanthas has a crimson sky, reflecting the color red, wouldn't that signify that that the main color we might see in the world are mixtures of red? I can't really image what the world appears living under a red sky. Any thoughts?
Here is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen.  -   Sean O'Faolain

Think of what the pictures you've seen of landscapes on Mars look like.  Like the one Halaster posted a link to.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Well, our sky is bluish. It's not like the main color we see is blue. But I'm not gonna get into that since I know nothing on the subject.

The sky is blue because of refraction.  Refraction of science!

Also, the oceans are blue because they reflect the sky, not the other way around.  OF SCIENCE.

Yeah, but what of Zalanthas? I see references of clear blue and white and other light colors that IMO would have a shade of red mixed in if under an open sky. I'm not saying we should all add a shade of red to our desciptions, just wanted to have a good mental picture when playing.
Here is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen.  -   Sean O'Faolain

I've always pictured pretty much everything in Allanak and the south to be built of red stones or just tinted reddish, if only because of the fine layer of silt and sand over everything. Tuluk, not so much red as brown or dusty white tinted, like an old western movie.

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

For Tuluk I picture stark white architecture-- something like you'd find in a coastal city in Greece, for example.

Allanak is far darker-- sooty, gritty walls, looming, gothic-esque architecture, and dark red shades of clay mingled with a smattering of yellow roads.

And I think that having a giant red sun has more to do with the light being red than anything.. the atmosphere's more reflective of the reddish dust hanging overhead, I'd think.. red light seems to filter through that, making everything ever the more red.
"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing." -- Shunryu Suzuki

Quote from: "Socko"For Tuluk I picture stark white architecture-- something like you'd find in a coastal city in Greece, for example.

Allanak is far darker-- sooty, gritty walls, looming, gothic-esque architecture, and dark red shades of clay mingled with a smattering of yellow roads.

Agreed.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

As for everything having a red tint - I think people's eyes would adapt, and still see a 'full' range of visual spectra.  Just like one does through color-tinted ski goggles or the like.
Murder your darlings.

Take a red film and look through it for a few minutes... Everything is red, blue things are black... things that are red seem to be white.. Then when you take the film away everything appears green!

So when our characters come out of the wilds after a hard day's hunting and step into the tavern... Are we all green-blind?!

The reason Mars is red is because... the ground is the color red and the White Sunlight reflects this color against the atmosphere, tinting it red.

If it were a crimson sun... well I have no idea.

All I know is that when you left that environment and entered a room lit with normal means... You'd see everything as green.

Quote from: "Revelations"So, reading somewhere that Zalanthas has a crimson sky, reflecting the color red, wouldn't that signify that that the main color we might see in the world are mixtures of red? I can't really image what the world appears living under a red sky. Any thoughts?

On planets, the skys tend to take up the color covering the majorty of the planet.

For instance, our planet is 70% water (its suppose to be). Thus, that blue you see in the sky is reflecting from the water.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

As mentioned previous on the post, Yokunama's 'reflection of the oceans' theory isn't actually true.
There's just a lot of nitrogen in the atmosphere, which happens to scatter a lot of blue-wavelength light, as opposed to other colors.
In the case of Zalanthas, there might be just a lot of red-wavelength light coming from the sun, or dust may tint the atmosphere.
Murder your darlings.

So what kind of colors might we be seeing reflected off the objects of Zalanthas? Would white be white when standing in the open sky, or a light red? I'm sure white objects are possible under artificial light such as torches...or would it be a yellowish hue? *sigh*

I figure objects under a red sky look exactly the same as those under a blue one. Go walk outside and look around; everything isn't tinted blue, or have shades of blue on it. The sky is red but the light from the sun is still the same.

Even if the sun were red it wouldn't change it. I don't think the colour of a star determines the light it gives off to any great extent, just how hot it is. And a red star is one of the coldest. So, my newbish, uneducated final verdict is: The red sky has absolutely no affect on how things look.

Oh, and Yokunama... what?

Well, when watching a sunset, a slightly red hue is cast over the land...if memory serves right...

Isn't that true on Earth too?  Cast over the horizon, I mean.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Found a nice little page that goes into the reason for blue skies and red sunsets on Earth.

Here.

It also has a little blurb on the Martian sky, which I thought was interesting.

Why is the Mars sky red?

Images sent back from the Viking Mars landers in 1977 and from Pathfinder in 1997 showed a red sky seen from the Martian surface.  This was due to red iron-rich dusts thrown up in the dust storms occurring from time to time on Mars.  The colour of the Mars sky will change according to weather conditions.  It should be blue when there have been no recent storms, but it will be darker than the earth's daytime sky because of Mars' thinner atmosphere.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

You are all wrong.

The sky is red because of all the blood evaporating up from Halaster's continuous carnage! He has made it so.  :wink:
"Change is not inspired without risk.." - Eniriah

The blue of Earth's sky, I thought was related to the polarization of the sunlight.  Hmm.. I am too lazy to check my books for it, pah.

Zalanthan sky should be red, due to the red sand I am guessing.  Also unlike our sun, Zalanthan sun is a red giant, which adds to the red sky.
some of my posts are serious stuff

*sigh* But the objects, what do the objects look when under the crimson sky? That's what I'm trying to clear up.

I'd just go with that your eyes have evolved into getting rid of most or all of the red tint and see everything like you do on earth?
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

The objects would not change much.  The sky's red or its being blue is not something that has that high intensity to force the color of the objects to shift significantly.  So we will have all the colors in Arm, in the visible spectrum.

Plus, the question that the color of objects under the red sky is a relative question.  Compared to what?  Blue sky?  Well.. In that case, a slight shift to red, little enough probably not to be noticed.  It would never be like looking at the world from behind a red glass.  It would still be all close to the blue sky.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Heres a better question..  If Zalanthas supports Humans, based on Earth Humans, who need the atmosphere of Earth to survive...

Why is the sky red, instead of refracting blue, like our own sky.. due to the requisite nitrogen and such.  Is the dust simply that powerful.. In whih case, we'd most likely have a slightly darker world..  Or is it something to do with the way the red light refracts?  Or is it a goddamn fantasy world, with Elves and kanks, and we're all being absolutely too nerdy?
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)

Zalanthas humans are not Earth humans, they're based off of them in a similar manner to how a motorcycle is based off of a pair of bike.
Among general differences of toughness, Zalanthans are extremely prone to mutations.  They also have strong psychic powers that allow them to communicate instantly over huge distances.

This thread -is- kinda nerdy, but the base question is fine: is everything in Zalanthas reddish?  The answer is no for one or two reasons:
1. Either Suk-Krath/the sky simply doesn't tint things that way, or:
2. Everything would reddish if we looked at it with our Earthling eyes.  Zalanthans, on the other hand, don't see that extra bit of red or just mentally disregard it.

There is another reason why - emote brushes his red cloak as he walks across the red road to the red-robed templar, a blush painting his red-lipped face red.
Tedious and annoying.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?