Question about kick and dwarves.

Started by sacac, June 07, 2005, 07:30:41 PM

For instance, at the current code level, A max height Half Giant and a max height dwarf are fighting.
During the fight, the dwarf kicks and it hits the half-giants head.

Is it reasonable that dwarves can kick that high?
Is it even codeable that dwarves can't kick target places on another species body?
Thoughts?
Ideas?
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

I've talked about this in the past, and apparently the coding involved in setting heights to determine where hits land is pretty complicated.

I -would- like to see it done, eventually, though.  It's why I picture elves as pretty intimidating, even if they are lanky.  Most humans are craning their necks to see an elf full in the face, and that's not a great position to be in before a fight breaks out :P
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Well, I think I read somewhere that the 'kick' command doesn't neccesarily mean with your foot.  You can emote striking with another part of your body.  It's just a command for an extra-hard attack.  In the case of a dwarf, a head-butt might be more appropriate.   :P

Yea, if it ran up the half giant's arm maybe? :)

That's one thing that irks me...I do combat emotes of throwing elbows, backhands, hitting with the butt end of weapons, and such, before using kick...and some people seem to completely ignore the emote and counter by blocking my foot with their shield, every time.  *boggle*
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Yea, but I don't like to backhand if they are wearing bone armor.
It just doesn't work. Maybe that is what they are thinking?

Quote from: "Marauder Moe"In the case of a dwarf, a head-butt might be more appropriate.   :P

A head butt from a dwarf to a half-giant?  I hope that half-giant has a good codpiece.  :wink:
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

A backhand with a weapon in your hand hurts.  For the damage kick does, at times, it's a viable emote, in my opinion.  I could always be wrong, though.

Armaddict wrote:
QuoteI've talked about this in the past, and apparently the coding involved in setting heights to determine where hits land is pretty complicated.

I -would- like to see it done, eventually, though.
Eh, I'm not so sure. An important thing to remember is that were a hit lands is a major factor in determing how much damage it does. Clearly, a hit to the neck will do more damage than a hit to the foot, true? So if it was coded that people couldn't kick more than a cord over their own height, or something, then it would become impossible for dwarves to hit most character's heads. Which puts them at a distinct disadvantage. A disadvantage that is, in my opinion anyway, rather unrealistic. I mean, come on... a kick from one of those little fuckers would hurt.
Therefore, the best option is to just roleplay around the code. As others have mentioned, yes, a kick can be something other than a flying ninjitsu guillitone bicycle kick of doom. It can be a backhand, a bash with a shield, a punch with a free hand, a headbutt, a smack from the flat side of the blade... a sort of dirty, under-handed, "extra" attack. Similiarly, if you find yourself in an odd situation, like a gurth hitting your elf in the head, I doubt anyone'll object if you RP that you were hit somewhere more likely, like the leg or the foot.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Maybe rename it Strike.. as opposed to keeping the old Diku standard 'Kick'?
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)

Quote from: "Sir Diealot"Maybe rename it Strike.. as opposed to keeping the old Diku standard 'Kick'?

Quote from: "Sir Diealot"Maybe rename it Strike.. as opposed to keeping the old Diku standard 'Kick'?
Veteran Newbie

your mother is an elf.

I was just thinking about suggesting that last night.

Add my agreement to that list of quotes. 'Strike' would be great.

Quote from: "sacac"For instance, at the current code level, A max height Half Giant and a max height dwarf are fighting.
During the fight, the dwarf kicks and it hits the half-giants head.

Is it reasonable that dwarves can kick that high?
Is it even codeable that dwarves can't kick target places on another species body?
Thoughts?
Ideas?

Having Flirted with Bando (Burma's kickboxing art) in the past.. its the low kicks that are the nasty ones...shin kicks (ie kicks delivered with the shin as the weapon as opposed to the foot) are very debilitating... espically with the knee or calf as the target.. they will slow your foe.. and having seen my instructor break a baseball bat...  they are fecking strong..

As a note the Boar school of that art starts full contact bouts with opposing shin kicks (ie you and your oppoent kick each other's shin)  if either flinches.. its not a worthwhile bout..
As the great German philosopher Fred Neechy once said:
   That which does not kill us is gonna wish it had because we're about to FedEx its sorry ass back to ***** Central where it came from. Or something like that."

Man - how do you kick anything with your shin and not fall down screaming in pain?  I hate when I bark my shins!
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Quote from: "moab"Man - how do you kick anything with your shin and not fall down screaming in pain?  I hate when I bark my shins!

http://www.thaiboxing.com/

Thai boxing, or Muay Thai as its known in Thailand.  The most unqiue thing about the sport is the fact that all fighters for a period of time before stepping into the ring, train with pads worn on the arms called "Thai pads".  Basically one guy olds the pads, while another kicks them repeatly with their shins, a process which deadens the nerves in the skin.  Turning your shin into a fucking baseball bat.  It still fucking hurts when you kick some one, but it hurts them even more.

I'd believe it.  I once slipped on a stairway and landed on the edge of a stair with both shins.  Hurt like crazy for weeks.  Now, though, I have a numb spot on each shin where I landed.

For the time being, until the code is changed from kick to strike, or heights are added in, it'd be nice to see that dwarf kick the HG, and even though the HG's player and the dwarf's player, and everyone else watching, saw a kick to the head, the HG emote cursing, having just been kicked in the shin, knee, stomped on the foot, something, and everyone else react to it. When I've had it happen, someone emote kicking toward my chest and hitting, even though the code said my head, I emoted that it was indeed my chest they hit.
A staff member sends:
     "I hate you. :p"