Traditional folk songs?

Started by Cuusardo, June 06, 2005, 11:30:15 PM

Are the ones in the music section of the General information section on the website supposed to be traditional Zalanthan folk songs?

I ask because I found a bunch that were apparently written by a bard who lived in the not too distant past.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Some are traditional folk songs, and others, I'd say, are just really popular, and might be considered "traditional" a few centuries down the line.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

I think I'd go along with "commonly known" rather than "traditional."  After all, you can't really consider the Beatles as "traditional" music, but nearly every musician and singer out there knows at least ONE of their songs. Perhaps the more recent songs listed are simply that - songs that everyone liked, and lots of people learned so they've survived.

The problem with the folksongs listed in the music section is that they're all just together, with no sort of classification whatsoever.  A person would have no way of knowing if a certain song is northern or southern in origin, or if an elf originally composed it and it was translated, or if it's a tribal song.  It's very good to know these things if you are playing a character that sings songs for people.  Perhaps that section of the website can be revamped at some point, and songs divided according to origin to make it easier?

And all the songs I've ever submitted haven't even gone into that part of the documentation.  They've gone into a part that requires a password to view, so I am a little confused as to why some go there, and some go into the other section.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Some of those songs don't sound real Zalanthan though.
Like these:
Knocking Boots
If You Want Me
Lookin' Fer a Little Fun'

Those just don't sounds Zalanthan to me. Just my opinion.
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

Yeah, this would be very useful. The last bard I played I remember someone saying "Go on, play something popular everyone can sing along to."
I suddenly thought "Shit, I don't actually know any.". The smug git who put me on the spot probably didn't know any either.

So yeah, if these were sorted into northern, southern and ethnic categories, it'd be great. I'd offer to help, but, quite frankly, I haven't got a fucking clue about anything.

Songs were originally all placed in the Folksongs section of the Original Submissions page.  When the Bards of Poets' Circle documentation was created and fleshed out, we began putting songs from its members into that documentation, which is only available to bards from that group.

I agree it needs to be revamped; I'll add it as an item that needs to be looked at when we revamp the site overall.