Assessing recent injuries.

Started by picklehead, May 27, 2005, 10:22:38 PM

In a similar vein to having to pull arrows from yourself or others, I think being able to see where someone was hit recently might be a good idea.

Maybe add an assess flag? -w for wounds? :p

assess -w giant
There is a recent cut on her neck.
There is a deep puncture wound on her arm.
There is a clotted gash on her hand.
There is a faded bruise on her head.
There is a faded slash-mark on her foot.
The grizzled, blonde giantess is in need of bandaging.
The grizzled, blonde giantess is in moderate condition.
The grizzled, blonde giantess does not look tired.

The wounds, whatever they are, slowly change their assess description to assume clotting, healing, fading. It'd still be up to the player to decide if they want to add a scar for that wound, but I think this would help physicians and other healers in knowing what wounds are where, etc. Often times I've been in a large battle, taken wounds, but not remembered where the worst ones were. Or I do (or think I do) and emote accordingly, but then someone comes in and starts emoting bandaging my leg, not realizing that I had been emoting about a cut on my chest.

Also might be nice for a note in the assess -w that says whether or not the person is in need of bandaging? I suppose that might deter some people from emoting it out and using virtual bandages or having the person wear the bandage/junk it if they know they can't actually utilize their bandaging skill, but just a thought.
I hope life isn't just one big joke, because I don't get it.  -- Jack Handy

It is a good idea.

But you can always "emote uses the super bandage on the biggest wound."
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Yeah, been looking for something to be implemented like that for a while, moreso with bodies and dead things.  That way, when the militia comes to investigate a murder, the templar can't make up some phony tale about the deceased being clubbed to death, when, codedly, they were killed with chopping weapons or whatnot.  Might be something like:

>examine body
There is a deep, long cut on the arm.
There is a large bruise on the head.
There is a small, round gash on the chest.
There is a small, round gash on the chest.
In the body of blah blah blah:
A steel longsword.

Would be nice to see that, but only if the hit was of a certain power, (solid, very hard, etc.)
*blank* hmms to himself, carefully peeing across the ground.

Quote from: RaesanosI want to kill everyone.

I think that if it's feasible codewise, that this is a great idea, especially for death investigations, or for determining whether that person in horrible condition is black and blue or bleeding all over the place.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Quote from: "Cuusardo"I think that if it's feasible codewise, that this is a great idea, especially for death investigations, or for determining whether that person in horrible condition is black and blue or bleeding all over the place.

Have the system check for the kind of weapon that did the death blow.. not perfect but..
As the great German philosopher Fred Neechy once said:
   That which does not kill us is gonna wish it had because we're about to FedEx its sorry ass back to ***** Central where it came from. Or something like that."

I think this would be really cool. It looks like right now, the game does not keep track of where injuries have been incurred. You have a bunch of hitpoints, and blows to certain body parts drain your hp faster than others, but once you've been dealt the blow, there's no lasting record of where your injuries are. Of course, the eq you're wearing in that location might get bloodied if the blow was nasty enough, but that's the only reminder of where the injury took place, and it doesn't really give an idea of how bad it was. I would like to see a shift away from the 'global hitpoints' system, which has always seemed pretty artificial, towards a realistic localized damage system.

And how about some severed limbs!  Huh? Anybody?

-Cindrak
quote="www.baobobcomic.com"]Naturally, the worst happened. Soon we saw not only a PC, but one of those weird PCs who uses words I don't know in their sdesc. The podgy, dappled dickens-whelp.[/quote]

I would love to see signs of battle. I do, however, veer away from the severed limbs, for the express reason that this is an aplication MUD, and people have to put in serious time. I used to condone severing and such as well, but I've changed my mind over the last few years.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Another great IDEA!

maybe you could give the physcians a skill to asses wounds and examine dead bodies to give you an exact account of how a battle happend and also maybe give a bonus to bandaging a wound. like maybe a chain of commands branching off of the Examine skill? like so if your examining specific things about a person. And akso there could a coding of certain disesases and parasites.

the p in front is for the physcian.

examine -peyes hairy
you see on the hairy half-giant is unconcious and one of his eyes are bigger than the other.

(ie the half giant is unconcious because he has a concussion)

examine -phair
you see the hairy half-giant has a matted spot of blood on his scalp and a few small scarabs

examine -pstool
you see a few squirming worms in the hairy half-giant's stool

examine -purine
you see blood in the urine of the hairy half-giant

examine -autopsy hairy
you see the following on the hairy half-giant:
A gash, indicating a wounding strike to the neck by a slashing weapon.
A variety of nicks and slashes crossing his head,legs,arms,and chest.

lists the most visble/damage giving wounds first and move down in severity until nothing remains.

imagine the possibilites! you could actually give physicals to someone, Tell how someone died or was wounded. on and on.

GOOD GOOD IDEA GUYS!

This would be sweet. It could even exist on corpses to investigate how people were killed.

It's long-overdue. I think it should be something of a priority.
The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything."
--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe