Injuries by ranged weapons

Started by The7DeadlyVenomz, May 27, 2005, 09:34:42 PM

I was thinking that it might be neat if you had to pull an arrow that hit you out of yourself, as opposed to just having it transferred to your inventory. Also, someone could look at you and see what hit you.

EX:
A black arrow flies in from the west and hits you in the head!
>l in me
In your head is:
a black arrow
>l in karl
In the lanky man's leg is:
a serpent-hilted knife
a couple of darts
In the lanky man's arm is:
a black arrow
>get 2.dart karl
You pull a dart out of the lanky man's leg.

Just an idea.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Another awesome idea brought to you by VenomUS Inc.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Ahh.. And then I get to see all those newbies in the bar with an armory in them.

Nice idea.
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

That is a really cool idea. It could also be an interesting addition to physicians. Maybe pulling arrows out deals some unpleasant amount of damage if you do it wrong, but walking is either slowed or does small amounts of damage, depending on where the arrow is. Someone who can eptly remove an arrow without hurting the already wounded person could be a real life saver.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

I think arrows being pulled out should affect STUN.

That way, when I rip an arrow out of my arm and stab a gith to death with it before using that same arrow and killing a retreating gith via bow, I won't kill myself.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I think stun should definitely be affected by pulling out an arrow, but you'd probably also risk losing additional hp if you did it hastily or sloppily.. or if it's just in there really good and there's no way to avoid further tearing whatever it passed through before it finally stopped. I imagine there'd be some random factors involved along with the type of arrow/bow and maybe even the skill of the person who shot at you. Also pulling it out yourself would probably run a higher risk of doing damage than if someone pulled it out for you.. at least for arrows located in certain locations where it'd probably be tough to pull it straight out. And I suppose physicians would probably be the best people for removing arrows. One more way to help make them more utilized/useful.
I hope life isn't just one big joke, because I don't get it.  -- Jack Handy

Well, keep in mind that causing HP damage upon removing the arrow would up the power of archery without changing other variables.  One might argue that the current HP damage already takes into account removing the arrow, and that this would have to be adjusted for.

Ooooh, ouch!  I think that pulling arrows out of you would have to do some small amount of damage, unless you've got the bandage skill.  Even then the amount you would do would be dependent on how good you are.  I mean, if you know how to tend to wounds, you should know how to pull out a knife or arrow without causing even more damage, right?
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

I like the idea.  Also, the example made me laugh, because I started thinking of that scene in Kung Fu Hustle where the guy ends up with about three throwing knives stuck in various places.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

two commands:  
pull arrow blah   - pulls it out slowly, takes some time, and has a higher chance of bringing out a useable arrow.

yank arrow blah - pulls it out instantly, has a higher chance of increased damage (hp and stun) and almost never lets the arrow remain.

Just my scents.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

I am an avid advocate of making the physician class more valuable.

While at first I was just thinking about the basis, these newer replies bear much merit, and I could see the physician gaining benifit from this implementation.

In all seriousness, you should never leave home without a ranger and a docter with you. Recent changes to the game have come into play which make the first true, let's see the second come into being.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

This is an excellent Idea!
You don't yank an arrow out if any at all possible...at least the ones I am thinking of as in having a head. here's why.

in a limb wound:
It grabs and tears the wound open more, possiby lacerating connective tissues,nerves, and major blood vessels. leaving a lame arm or leg where upon pushing it through is actually sometimes safer.  crazy huh?
(often often pushing the point through, then breaking off the fletching and leaving it in for up to half an hour while slowly drawing it out was typical ;This helped keep pressure on a nicked blood vessel and gave it a chance to clot some you didn't just bleed out right there.)

2. same thing in a chest wound, but with greater risks. In a near miss to a vital organ; you might just lacerate it by pulling out backward. BUT! it an arrow lodged between your ribs the Vikings would pull it because they knew important stuff was in the way if you pushed it through; But they knew you would probably survive if they pulled out the arrow and their was fat around the head (your body stores a small amount of fat around your heart for those times when your body becomes INCREDIBLY famished so it can keep your heart going for as long as possible)

3.Wounds to the abdomen were almost always fatal because of infection, didn't matter how you drew the arrow,if the bowels of the victim were puntcured you died; period. Pushing the arrow, pulling the arrow, you were damned if you did either. High risk of puncturing the kidneys or abdomenal artery. Death was slow and lingering.

I would love to see this implemented in ARM. Where you could take an arrow wound and try to get it out and aren't properly trained it really messes you up. I think it would provide some great RP for both victims and physicians and also make physcians a hot commodity.

my two cents
[/i]

I like having this function off the bandage skill.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "Malifaxis"two commands:  
pull arrow blah   - pulls it out slowly, takes some time, and has a higher chance of bringing out a useable arrow.

yank arrow blah - pulls it out instantly, has a higher chance of increased damage (hp and stun) and almost never lets the arrow remain.

Just my scents.

For the Morbid..  some old medical tools..
http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/MedicalInstruments.htm

Including one made for removing arrows ;)

Lacking that.. your better off pushing a barbed arrow through the wound breaking off the head then pulling it out.
As the great German philosopher Fred Neechy once said:
   That which does not kill us is gonna wish it had because we're about to FedEx its sorry ass back to ***** Central where it came from. Or something like that."

It'd be pretty nasty if some twink just started snatching arrows out of you whenever your character appears to be near death.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

I don't like the idea...because archery would become very crazy powerful.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: "Yokunama"It'd be pretty nasty if some twink just started snatching arrows out of you whenever your character appears to be near death.

It would be unrealistic to see an injured person with arrows sticking out of them and then deciding to knock those arrows about to kill them? Sorry, but if I saw someone with nice boots on the edge of death, saw an arrow in his chest, I think I'd be wiggling that arrow about to kill the person.

Perhaps though, with nosave off you'd try and stop the person, with nosave on, you'd let them rip out the arrow without struggle.

I think archery is enough powerful as a skill currently.  Adding this would be alot.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Powerful enough. But arrows cost a fortune.

And a party of 19 charging towards 5 archers is going to die already.

I still like the idea.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Arrows don't cost a whole bunch, actually, and if you can make your own its cheaper.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Hey folks, long-time lurker and first-time poster here.

On an ElseMU* RPI, they have this implemented; one must remove arrows if they successfully lodge. It makes archery very powerful - as it should be, because face it, someone with a bow at a distance SHOULD kick the ass of someone with a sword at a distance. Shields are taken into account, as is armor, before checking if the arrow just 'grazes' or if it 'lodges.' If it DOES lodge, you have to remove the arrow - causing a small (3-or-so HP) wound.

However, this did open the door for twinkery; during a HRPT, a few twink players spam-removed about fifteen arrows from a troll PC, effectively killing him on the spot.

Just putting this out there as I've experienced it before. Personally, I like archery in Armageddon as it is.