Trustworthy, cheap money pouches

Started by John, May 24, 2005, 09:36:56 PM

Most of us, at one time or another, have emoted giving people coins in a money pouch. Bet I bet most of us have used a virtual pouch. What I'd like to see is people begin using coded pouches more often. They do exist in-game, but from what I've seen their pretty expensive for most characters (5 to 10 'sid a pop, however for those claiming you are able to save a lot of 'sid too easily, start using them and giving them out to players :P).

A cheap way (for PCs) to get money pouches into the game is to have Nenyuk provide them when you withdraw money. Let's say I withdraw 500 'sid, it's unlikely Nenyuk is going to give me that without some container, so it makes sense for them to provide it in a money pouch (which most of us emote them doing anyway). I'm sure they can afford it with all the 'sid they make. That way, they'll be fairly abundant in-game, so people will be more likely to give them to players. If you think this would be too annoying, you can have "withdraw [pouch optional] 500 [clan optional]"

Something extra that can be added is having the pouches identifiable with a certain amount. You could color them. So a yellow nenyuk pouch holds 100 'sid, a blue one holds 500 'sid, a red one holds 1,000 'sid, a black one holds 10,000 'sid, a brown one holds an unknown amount. That way when I give person X a yellow pouch they get "John gives you a yellow nenyuki pouch, it feels full." That way if the person trusts me, they won't check it. If they don't trust me, they'll check it (this also allows for opportunities with adding stones to a pouch in order to try to fool someone). If people want, a small fee can be added for this.

An extra step that can be done is to have stamped color pouches. Pouches that have been sealed with wax and then stamped by a special Nenyuk stamp. This shows that the amount hasn't been tampered with since it left Nenyuk hands (for really really important transactions) and could incur a larger then normal fee (20-100 'sid, whatever you want).

What do people think? I personally think it's make a great addition to the game (important? Naaah. But it would be a nice little thing). And the 3 ideas don't all have to be implemented.

I love the idea.
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

But I don't think nenyuk would supply the pouches.
Maybe, maybe not.
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

I think it's too much trouble.  Emoting a virtual money pouch is just one extra command.  Using coded pouches would more than double the amount of time it takes for any transaction.

I wouldn't mind the addition, but I don't mind emoting it out with a virtual pouch. *shrug*
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I, once again, think the idea to be superfluous. Then again, what isn't? What particular aspect of virtual pouches do you find antagonizing? Hmm? Maybe you're a Pouchist? Ya Bastard! I'm sick of you people constantly segregating virtual pouches from coded pouches!
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

I use normal pouches when I have them, and don't pretend to have pouches if I don't. I've never ignored someone's 'virtual pouch', but I do find them annoying - they seem to appear and dissapear on a whim. If I'm a pickpocket, you can bet I'm gonna want to grab a money-pouch rather than a few coins.

If you color-coded them, it would make it a bit too easy on thieves. Besides, dye is expensive. Nenyuk handing coin off in pouches would be nice (after 100, say), but you might run into trouble with people depositing/withdrawing just for the pouches...
The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything."
--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I would love this idea, and on the same topic, I would like to see pouchs for food more commonplace.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Nice.. A really really nice idea.  At least, the observer would see the difference between giving 10 coins and 10000 coins.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "John"A cheap way (for PCs) to get money pouches into the game is to have Nenyuk provide them when you withdraw money. Let's say I withdraw 500 'sid, it's unlikely Nenyuk is going to give me that without some container, so it makes sense for them to provide it in a money pouch (which most of us emote them doing anyway). I'm sure they can afford it with all the 'sid they make. That way, they'll be fairly abundant in-game, so people will be more likely to give them to players. If you think this would be too annoying, you can have "withdraw [pouch optional] 500 [clan optional]"

I disagree with this, actually. The Nenyuki are known for being quite tight about even a single coin. They're not just going to give you 5-10 'sid worth of free goods with every withdrawl. If you provided the container, I'm sure they'd fill it for you. They may also be willing to provide one for a fee.  But what do THEY care if your coin gets stolen the moment you leave, because you're carrying it in giant armfuls instead of in a backpack or pouch? If you don't deposit it again, the thief will, or the spice dealier the thief bought from will, or someone else down the line. They'll see it again eventually, one way or another.

That said, I also like the idea of using in-game pouches when possible. It would add considerable flavor to some of the larger transactions. However, the virtual pouch gives thieves the opportunity to take a small piece and be less noticed. So to my mind, it kinda evens out.

Quote from: "sacac"But I don't think nenyuk would supply the pouches.
Maybe, maybe not.

They'll provide anything your heart desires... for a price  :)
As the great German philosopher Fred Neechy once said:
   That which does not kill us is gonna wish it had because we're about to FedEx its sorry ass back to ***** Central where it came from. Or something like that."

Unless you've already agreed on a price before you meet, aren't you going still going to count it out?  And why the hell would I give someone a pouch worth 5-10 sid along with my 150 sid for that sword?  No way, let them pick it up off of the bar/table/naked back of a prositute that I counted it out onto.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

I don't think it's really needed unless it's a very large sum. Then a small chest or tough leather bag would be worth it for easy transport and safety. Now that I think about it, you would usually need a container of some sort more for safety, though a bag would add doubly for the convenience, in certain situations with large sums. With small sums, it's more an inconvenience for everyone than it is the worth.

Anyways, currently I think small transactions are perfectly fine with virtual bags, but have the larger sums in the coded containers for the main benefit of (coded) safety.
Here is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen.  -   Sean O'Faolain

Actually, thinking about it, it would make sense for Nenyuk to give bags.  Imagine when you are depositing 1000 coins right?  You would not go out carrying 1000 coins in your hands or pockets, but you would have it in a bag and deposit it with the bag.  So Nenyuk would take the coins and the bag from you and they would have a bunch of bags, since there are a lot of people depositing coins.
So when you come for withdrawing some big amount, Nenyuk would give it in a bag.

EDIT: I wonder if Nenyuk is selling those bags to add to the profit.

[/jk]
some of my posts are serious stuff

Wouldn't taking all those virtual bags and making them into actual items clutter up the database?
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Interesting idea, not sure if it's necessary or not.

Something I'd like to see is sticks of obsidian that represent larger denominations. Make a small and a large real items, and have the Nenyuk be able to accept them as is for deposit or break them up for you.

Then you can carry around your 'sid, but still break it up to buy things.

Proxie
For those who knew him, my husband Jay, known as Becklee from time to time on Arm, died August 17th, 2008, from complications of muscular dystrophy.

K.I.S.P.  :lol:  Though that mentality works only on some cases. I think this is one of them though.
Here is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen.  -   Sean O'Faolain

QuoteAnd why the hell would I give someone a pouch worth 5-10 sid along with my 150 sid for that sword?

If that's your opinion, then RP counting out your coins and don't use virtual pouches.
The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything."
--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I do not have any problem with virtual pouches myself. I use real pouches if there is a reason for it. I use no pouches for very low amounts or if my char does not bother to count it properly. I use virtual pouches in other cases.

There are plenty of actual pouch items in the game.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

QuoteThere are plenty of actual pouch items in the game.
But none of them are FREE now are they?

Quote from: "Dirr"
QuoteThere are plenty of actual pouch items in the game.
But none of them are FREE now are they?

That's not Nenyuk's problem, now is it?

QuoteThat's not Nenyuk's problem, now is it?

Well, if that is your approach; I'd like to inquire as to what IS a Nenyuki problem? Perhaps.... a monkey?

Quote from: "Derailing Canadian"
*sigh*

I like the idea. It's neat, and saves me from making a fool out of myself, holding 400 coins in the palm of my hand.
your mother is an elf.

Truthfully, if you get down to it, Staff needs to make a limit on how much you can hold in your hands when it comes to coins. This will enforce the idea of pouchs.

>withdraw 400 3.pouch

If pouchs only cost a sid or two, it will be realistic. I know we can always RP this and that and the other thing, but when it comes down to it, I like hard coded solutions for everything.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870