What would you want to see in an Arm specific client?

Started by Today's Mystery Poster, May 23, 2005, 04:59:39 PM

I think there is way to much setup for n00bs to zmud and other clients. I was toying with the idea of an arm specifc client. Any thoughts?

My initial thoughts were possibly comming up with a graphical abstraction for the emote syntax. Sort of like an "Emote builder".

Few other things as well....I'd love to hear thoughts.

I would like to see these features in a mud client:

:arrow: Auto mapper.
:arrow: Spell check.
:arrow: Ansi color support.
:arrow: Ability to take clean logs.
:arrow: Buttons.
:arrow: Seperate command line.

Actually I suggest you to check Al-Client, it has all the necessary features except spell checking and ansi color support.
"A few warriors dare to challange me, if so one fewer."
---------------------------
"Train yourself to let go everything you fear to lose." Master Yoda
---------------------------
"A warrior does not let a friend face danger alone." Lt. Worf

Well, there's plenty of free clients out there that are quite easy, just might not have any of the highly advanced stuff, which I wouldn't know of anyways. If there was a Armageddon specific one, it would most likely be similar to the free ones anyway, so there isn't much use in spending the time in making one.
Here is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen.  -   Sean O'Faolain

-- Emote preview window.
-- Spellchecking, I like how cleanly it is done in Gaim, an opensource IM client.  The autounderlining of misselled words is nice.
-- Opensource, Crossplatform, some of us don't use or care for windows.
-- A graphical icon of sorts denoting the current weather conditions and possibly time.  Typing in time/and or weather before I do a command is a pain.
-- Ability to freeze a section of screen and dock it into another window, for example that shop list, so I can emote and look at the same time.

I can come up with many, many more options.  I have been working with tweaking an opensource client called gMUDix.  It works well in Linux and windows, is fairly speedy, and has all the basic features common to zmud. It does have limitations, For example the bold attribute is wonky, although I have a workaround on it.  If you are serious about doing this, I would be willing to contribute programming and limited artwork.  I'm sure others would as well. You could set this up as a sourceforge project or I could provide a cvs workspace on a server at work.  One caveat, if this is to be a purely windows project I'll pass.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

Mac os X tiger support please.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Has anyone metnioned these?
Triggers
Alias
Macro
And a note screen.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Word highlighting support.

Ability to change font colors.

Quick links/splitscreen for GDB or documentation.

Ability to change the default beep sound.

A big red Don't Panic sign whenever the word 'mekillot', 'silt horror' or 'templar' shows up.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I started using KMud lately which has the following two features I really like:

- Can make localecho a different color from normal text. I make it really light so its not distracting but its there if I need to read it.
- When you scroll up, the most recent few lines of the buffer are still shown, so you can see what is currently happening while you scroll.  There is a thin line separating the current text and scrolling text and naturally it dissapears when you scroll back down.

I also would love to see a good open-source cross-platform mud client.  The ability to modify the source to make the client conform to your little quirks is nice.

I would like to see a nicely imped multi-line input text box (ala MUSHClient) and not like Zmud's with all the features listed above.

And as for emote checker, I would like an "emote toolbox" along the lines of the "regex toolbox" you get in some IDEs that let you test your regexes, their output and lists their options in a side pain (Komodo, SharpDevelop both have nice examples.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

To the original poster, and anyone else seriously interested.  I am working on reworking an opensource client (gpl license).  My intent before this was posted was mainly to do things that I wanted and develop this for myself and a few others, but there is certianly no reason this can't be expanded to be an availible armageddon specific custom client for general use.  The existing client uses the gtk toolset and is currently ported to Linux and Windows, it should easily be able to be ported to Mac as well.  75% of the requested features are already there, and I am working on getting gtkspell (same as gaim uses) and a multiline input the same as mushclient uses added.  

If anyone is interested in collaberating development on this you are welcome to PM for more details.  For those who say this is not needed because there is other stuff out there, I don't care. I'm doing this because I want to have something custom and I enjoy doing it.  If others can use it, all the better.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

Any update on this? I'm currently in the market for a good client that'll run on debian.