I wanted agafari but cut down a baobab.

Started by palomar, May 23, 2005, 11:52:33 AM

I think it would be very useful if you could tell what kind of trees you can chop down in a certain room. As it is now you go out to get some wood, find a grove with the specific trees and then you end up with something else! If it was possible to assess which kinds of trees exist in a room and perhaps even chosing which type you want to cut down it would help a lot, and also get rid of the embarrassing moment (at least for me) when you pull out the big ol' axe and then there's not a single tree ready to be cut down.

Comments, thoughts? Has this been discussed before?

Palomar

Maybe change it so instead of "use axe" and getting random types of wood. You could "use axe baobab" or "use axe agafari"?
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: "palomar"I think it would be very useful if you could tell what kind of trees you can chop down in a certain room.

I suggest you also idea this in game if you didn't do that already. That way, IMMs pay much more attention to it and implement this good idea if they think it is worth to give a shot. I hope they do :).
"A few warriors dare to challange me, if so one fewer."
---------------------------
"Train yourself to let go everything you fear to lose." Master Yoda
---------------------------
"A warrior does not let a friend face danger alone." Lt. Worf

I think it would be pretty useful to be able to choose what kind of wood you want, and get a message if you're trying to chop down some where there is none.

However, when you craft those logs into say, planks, the code does not distinguish between types of wood.  (At least not that I know of.)  So if you're going to be using it for crafting, it would not matter much whether you're using baobab or agafari.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

This would rule, though there would have to be some sort of weird coding or flag system in place that would determine what kind of trees can be felled in what location.

Why do I see this as the beginning of the end for the noble yypr tree?
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

It seems that the tree you chop down is already chosen from a coded list and I doubt it would be very difficult to display it in game somehow. Of course, this wouldn't mean that you can chop down every kind of tree in every forest location; only those normally possible to find and cut down would show on the list.

If it's true that the code doesn't make a difference between the sorts of wood when crafting, well then maybe this doesn't serve much of a point in the end.

And since I'm playing my first crafter ever I apologize if I'm babbling about things I really don't know much about.

Palomar

It does pay attention, to everything except when you make planks.
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)