Questions from an interested former MUD addict.

Started by Swapmeet, May 18, 2005, 03:19:22 AM

Well, if what I've been reading is any indication of what this game is like, I won't be former for long...

Anyway, I'm just wondering about how much restriction I can realistically expect when making a new character.  Lets say I wanted to create a hardened mercenary type (not that I would, since its probably a bit overdone around here).  Would my weakness as a newbie prevent me from adequately RPing a character like this?  How big is the gap, strengthwise, between a brand-new character and one with a little experience?  Will I have to kill my enjoyment by mindless bashing mobs for hours on end in order to gain levels (or whatever you have, I'm not sure how it works).  I only ask, not because I want to run in and start PvPing like crazy, but because I want to know how much freedom I have to RP.  I could create a big, ugly, mean-looking whatever, but if I act big and mean will I just be crushed like a bug?  

Many thanks, and apologies if I just asked the same question 5 times.  I've been up for 36 hours and have jury duty tomorrow, so my mind's a bit ablur  :shock:

QuoteWill I have to kill my enjoyment by mindless bashing mobs for hours on end in order to gain levels (or whatever you have, I'm not sure how it works).

Nope, and doing that would actually mean there's probably something wrong with your roleplay. It might be easier for say... indie hunters, or clanned military types to become good fighters sooner than others, but that's not really what's important here. Finding reasonable ways to train your big mean and ugly type can be fun. Just don't rush, take your time and - most importantly - have fun.   :)
Quote from: VanthA well-placed grunt can be worth a thousand words.

I'm about to crash out myself, tonight, so I'll let other people weigh in with more detailed responses. However I'll drop a few useful links at you, which should signifigantly help you get acclimated to the game, and thus help you increase your enjoyment:

The Introductory Pages - reading everything in here would be very helpful to you.
The Walkthrough
The newbie helpers page Highly Recommended
The helpfiles, Online - Reading everything in here would also be very helpful to you.

Usful helpfiles you should read over are:
Help Newbie
Help Top 40
Help FAQ

To try and briefly answer some of your questions: your character will start out as a "new" character, regardless of how old or grizzled they may be. I personally recommend starting out your character as a young, and relatively inexperienced (yet still mercenary type), and let the characters experiences forge them into a 'hardened' mercenary.

Indeed, it may seem like an overused concept, but personally, I think the game needs more hardened mercenaries. But that might just be me - I happen to like hardened mercenaries.

I Highly recommend you start out the game as a Human Warrior, or Ranger. I wouldn't touch the other races, or rogue classes untill you've gotten a better handle on the game. A hardened mercenary is a great way to go at it...but that certainly isn't the only role available to you.
Tlaloc
Legend

New characters are relatively unskilled.  A Warrior will be better at normal melee combat than other classes, often better than other classes with a few days play time on them, which means that a Warrior can start acting tough from the begining without looking too silly.

To explain the lack of skill, many people start their character as young.  Since it is a hard, unpleasant world a teenager is old enough to already be quite hardened, and to have taken on adult responsibilities.  Even a 13 year old (the youngest age allowable for humans) is usually considered an adult, though a young adult who doesn't know everything yet.  

Another fairly popular tactic I've seen from people who start an older character who should be skilled (but isn't because code wise the PC is a newbie) is to claim that they recently suffered a severe injury that they are still healing from, like having broken a leg or their dominent arm.  This also explains why they are currently unemployed and down on their luck.  When they became injured they lost their previous job (no Worker's Compensation in Zalanthas) or perhaps their co-workers all died in whatever mishap injured them.  Durring their recovery they used up their meager savings and probably had to take odd jobs to survive.  Now the character is -almost- back to normal, but after half a year of relative inactivity they are out of practice and the lack of physical therapy has left their muscles and joints a little stiff.  

However, the injured vetern story doesn't explain why you don't know how to find a grocery store or a tailor, or know the many nuances that you might not pick up from just reading the docs.  So for first chacters I really prefer the clasic youngster in the big city background.  You are from one of the Allanak farming villages (or one of the Tuluk logging camps, if playing a northerner) and you have just come to the big city to make your fortune, because being a farmer or logger is dull and young adults never appreciate how good they've got it.   :wink:  This neatly explains why you aren't very familiar with your hometown city, why you aren't especially skilled in your chosen proffession, and why your behavior and manner of speech might be a little odd.

Yes, both the injured vetern and the hick in the city are somewhat hacknied backgrounds (though not quite so bad as the amnesiac) but really your history isn't as important as what you are doing now, and what you are going to do in the future.  Usually the stuff your character does in their first couple weeks as a real PC will be more important than whatever virtual history you give them.

Good luck,

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

1) Anyway, I'm just wondering about how much restriction I can realistically expect when making a new character  Lets say I wanted to create a hardened mercenary type (not that I would, since its probably a bit overdone around here).  
its okay to make a character thats is a hardened mercenary just dont expect him to get awsome stats and skills already worked on.

2) Would my weakness as a newbie prevent me from adequately RPing a character like this?   im lost on this one? i am lost on this question

3) How big is the gap, strengthwise, between a brand-new character and one with a little experience?   it depends on how old the character is after an hr barly anything if anything but if you join a clan or hunt alot after char 24 hr of play time your char will be alot better.

4) Will I have to kill my enjoyment by mindless bashing mobs for hours on end in order to gain levels (or whatever you have, I'm not sure how it works).  No that acctually will damage your karma level,  there is no leveling in this game just learning like a real life

like everyone says, read the help tho trust me i didn't and ya lets just say it helps alot after i read it even after a year of playing the game my rp style i find got better
dd my msn if you want, longvaladrien@hotmail.com

Quote1) Anyway, I'm just wondering about how much restriction I can realistically expect when making a new character  Lets say I wanted to create a hardened mercenary type (not that I would, since its probably a bit overdone around here).
Perhaps make characters that -aspire- to be whatever.  In your case, a hardened merc.  Then that would explain why you're not too buff from the start, but would accomplish the mental image you have.  And don't let what's already "been done" deter you from trying different roles.  No character is played same.

Quote2) Would my weakness as a newbie prevent me from adequately RPing a character like this?
Only if you let it be a deterrment.  You will start with newbie skills, and will have to work on them.  If you want to RP being tough, and buff, even if you aren't really, expect other PCs to call you on your bluff eventually.  That sounds fun, actually - seeing how long you can fool people.  But if you'd rather work up to that rep, develop it, that's probably easier to do.

Quote3) How big is the gap, strengthwise, between a brand-new character and one with a little experience?
Unless you powergame constantly (which is frowned upon), the skill differences aren't that big.

Quote4) Will I have to kill my enjoyment by mindless bashing mobs for hours on end in order to gain levels (or whatever you have, I'm not sure how it works).  
No, this mud doesn't have levels.  You can determine how good you are or aren't by matching yourself up against various PCs and/or npcs.  We discourage mindlessly bashing mobs since there's no IC logic in doing so.  There are clans, however, who do have training/sparring session on a daily basis.  Since this will be your first time around, I suggest trying T'zai Byn - they are a mercenary company, are oodles of fun, and very good with new players.

Wecome aboard, glad to see you're asking questions, and hey, make your character already!  ;)
-Ashyom

QuoteLets say I wanted to create a hardened mercenary type (not that I would, since its probably a bit overdone around here)

The world could always use more hardened mercenary types.  Zalanthas is chock full of them.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

A new friend to newbies: The nomadic background.

Why have a nomadic background? It allows you to be grizzled or world-weary, without having to know your way around the city. In fact, it gives you a good reason not to know locations in the city and customs, and a good reason to be a mercenary as opposed to finding a lush, posh job as a guard or aide somewhere (you might not like to settle down).

As a background prop, the subclass of nomad fits this bill well, and your spiffy nomadic accent will make sure that you're not pounced on by noble-house recruiters like a mouse on a piece of stilton. (No guarantee of no one trying to recruit you. Experiences may be different each time you apply.)