Tattoo Ink colors

Started by Lohan, May 07, 2005, 01:50:19 AM

I just was wondering how they made some the bright inks..like specifics on what plant or animal is for X color.

The reason I ask is I was fasicinated that in Zalanthas that purple was a commoner color, but in reality purple used to denote royalty.

thanks in advance for any replies.

That isn't dye, it's ELF BLOOD!

But really.. I assume many dye sources are similar to those of our world - pigments from plants, and in some cases minerals (rocks, different types of sand, etc).

As for the significance of purple and other colors, I think it's similar again to our world - some cultures attach different significance to different colors.  Europeans of a certain era may have associated purple with royalty, while Chinese of the same time period (Qing dynasty according to google) associated yellow with royalty.

A possible reason for purple to be a common color, is that the foliage of the Grey Forest is actually largely purple in pigment, rather than the green of our world.  So  while Europeans could only afford the color if they were rich, any Tuluki can grab a branch and tie it to his head for a little more purple.  (Or he could isolate the pigment for dying cloth.. but that wouldn't be as fun.)
Murder your darlings.

Quote from: "Lohan"
The reason I ask is I was fasicinated that in Zalanthas that purple was a commoner color, but in reality purple used to denote royalty.

Zalanthan society is quite different than any of our earth societies.  But like any other society, different colors stand for different things.   (That's a different topic, however.)
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

This is just something I've thought about (and if everyone did this, our game would be very odd) but, making a child character really allows you to ask these questions IC, even questions that are just weird, without looking plain dumb.

I am aware that you can ask the same questions as an adult, but honestly, child characters allow you to ask a far broader array of questions on a much vaster array of topics, and not look like a dumb barabarian.

If you are particularly interested in learning a ton about the world from an IC perspective, as opposed to an OOC perspective, you might try it.

Just a thought.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

The probelm is, if you have a child PC and you ask any of these questions, somebody else has got to answer the damn thing!

I know it's a bit of a tangent to the topic, but what do you do in these situations? Do you just wing it and make up an answer if there isn't one documented?

Further, purple did not universally denote royalty.  Cultures differ in RL, just like in Zalanthas.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]