Disengage

Started by I, April 19, 2005, 09:43:08 PM

So ye know your there sparring of fighting somebody and instead of just stopping, you have to flee... wtf? Why can't you just type disengage? i would bet my life this has been talked about before but i think it would be a pretty good change to the code.
'm into the desert on a horse with no name
It feels good to be out of the rain
In the desert you can't remember your name
'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain

Quotei would bet my life this has been talked about before but i think it would be a pretty good change to the code.

Many times. Not again, please...  :cry:
The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything."
--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

It's just a little bug we've all gotten around through our many sparring sessions.

If I'm not mistaken, 'flee self' may have some sort of affect.

As well, if somehow both fighters turned 'nosave on' at the same time, it would probably result in both backing off. But of course, this is quite difficult to do and not likely to happen commonly.

This is not a bug.  Disengage is a command designed specifically to be usable only by those who are attacking but not being attacked.

Fleeing, whether one uses a direction or the 'self' argument, has no bad effect on the PC.  It toggles movement speed from walk into run, and it's also a skill, which means that you can increase your skills even while breaking the spar.

Nosave is a toggle that nullifies (most) saving throws.  This means that if you do not want to try to climb a wall, or resist arrest/being subdued, or whatever else, toggling nosave on will make you automatically fail the roll.
Nosave has nothing to do with breaking combat.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Yeah, nosave in combat will get you seriously killed.

Quote from: "Spoon"Yeah, nosave in combat will get you seriously killed.

Not really.  If I am right, nosave does not affect to the combat skills, but to subdue checks and checks against magickal effects, and climb checks.

Maybe poison too, I don't know that though.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Ghost's right. I forgot to turn nosave off a couple of times and fought then. If there was some difference, I certainly didn't notice.
Quote from: VanthA well-placed grunt can be worth a thousand words.

Doesn't it affect saves from things like kick or bash?

Nope.
some of my posts are serious stuff

This is a post that will make no sense, go on and on and on, and solve nothing. I'll rant and derail. This is a fore warning. (a short rant)

Flee works and it may save your ass even more than the sparring you're doing!  You wouldn't want to fail your flee attempt when a gajak whips down and takes a bite at you, would you?

One thing that bites my gonads, is that I was reading a post on sparring where they were talking about people that flee, then use the sneak command to come back to the room. THAT angers me.  Someone said it was acceptable because: "You just got your butt whooped, you don't want to be the center of attention when you come back to the room, do you?"
I didn't argue it cause the post had been dead for well over a year, BUT THIS IS WHERE I'LL PUT MY RANT! MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

I *think* the twinks brain works like this:

"I am the best roleplayer on Armageddon. I play a burglar / assassin / fighter who I want to be able to sneak.  When I flee from combat, it's usually RP'd as me stepping back out of the fight. If I stepped out of the fight, why should there be an echo on me entering the room, when, for RP's sake, I never left it? Well, I think eliminating this echo can serve the dual purpose of getting me sneakier!"

When I flee during a spar, I imediately move back into the room.  Even if there's a templar in the room I flee into, I don't stop to bow, because, for RP's sake, I'm not IN THAT ROOM!

The reason I'm not in that room, is people flee when they look beat up. Only an extreme asshole would continue to chase this man that has missing teeth, a broken nose, and blood pouring down his face and hit him with stuff. A comrade-in-arms wouldn't do this.  I've never seen anyone RP anything BUT stepping back during a flee. Actually, many a time, I've seen the person that's winning the spar do the fleeing, to avoid further damage to the loser. This, also, is ALWAYS RP'd as stepping back and lowering your weapons.  Usually the combatants don't have too much of a problem with each other, if any. Often they're friends.  If they hate each other, Sarge's wrath would keep them from injuring one another too badly.  If you need to leave a room entirely to avoid damn near K.O.ing someone who you don't really want to hurt, you've got deep rooted, surpressed rage issues, and should seak a Zalanthan shrink. (Hmm.. I sense a new character concept...)

It could then, kinda, be said that fleeing to end a spar is twinkish in that it raises your skills for something that hasn't, TECHNICALLY, been done.

There. Yay! My rant is over, nothing's been solved, and I just derailed this topic, if I haven't ended it in it's tracks.

My work here is done.
i] Sarge's Lifting Advice:[/i] Don't lift with your legs. Your back's the strongest muscle in your body! And look man, your knees aren't even locked. How do you expect to stand up straight? Put your groin into it!