The weather command.

Started by nameless, April 11, 2005, 05:06:36 PM

89/126/90weather
It is a cool night.
The sky is clear.
The air is as silent as the sand.

89/126/90look
You can't see a thing; sand swirls about you!

Ok does that make sense to anyone else?  I feel like the only one trapped in a storm and the weather command isn't helping me much.

It's a probably very well-known bug.  Just treat it as being too dark to see anything, with no sand in the air.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Yeah, the game seems to have only one dark-but-not-so-dark-you-can't-walk-in-a-straight-line-dark message.  It just means that because there aren't any moons out you can't see (but you're probably in a location with virtual light sources such as personal torches or lamps).

I've been in that situation before (which im sure -many-many- have been in too) and you cant really treat it as being dark when you whip out a torch and get the same thing. Id also like to know the reason behind that, because Ive had to stop for hours for dawn to come because of these so-called sandy nights.

Omen
ourage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway.
-John Wayne
"Dont worry, he wont bother us...."
Your vision goes black

Well, if the weather command says the air is clear then a torch will let you see just fine.  If there is an actual sandstorm, though, torches won't help you.

Quote from: "nameless"89/126/90weather
It is a cool night.
The sky is clear.
The air is as silent as the sand.

89/126/90look
You can't see a thing; sand swirls about you!

Ok does that make sense to anyone else?  I feel like the only one trapped in a storm and the weather command isn't helping me much.

The only part of that is the echo itself. There shouldn't be a "sand swirls about you" at the end of the sentence, it should just read "You can't see a thing."

No moon, no artificial light sources, no electricity = you ain't gonna see shit.

Light a torch or a glow crystal, and you should be just fine.

I know that works... for darkness.  But when I typed in the weather command, it says the night is calm!  Not there's a frickin sand storm.  Even though clearly I was in a sand storm and no a torch didn't work.

Some terrain is difficult to see in even when the weather is calm.

Yeah, I think people are confusing this issue a bit.

What he is attempting to point out (I think) is that the weather command says the air is clear, but a torch WILL NOT help you to see.   I just treat it as 'fairly calm, but enough of a breeze to stir up the sand - or, treat it as though a storm just passed, and the dirt is still 'filtering down' from above, hampering your vision... sort of like the zalanthian version of a mild snowstorm :)

I've had this happen to me as well, pretty much just have to sit and wait it out, a torch or glow crystal isn't going to help ya much :)

- Prae

Actually, I think in this case a torch would work.  Please try that next time.  The problem is the darkness is yielding the wrong message, not the weather command.

-- X