Hunters and Hunting

Started by Rhyden, April 10, 2005, 10:20:24 PM

QuoteI agree with the danger/short lifetime versus quiet/long lifetime points some of you brought up. Just a random sigh... if people used bribes and tips more often, it'd be perfect for clanners (because they'd obviously have better chance of getting those)

Last time I tried to bribe a Militia man I got into trouble. And I was just trying to get him to overlook something relatively innocent. He told me 50 sid was "worthless" - though he didn't say how much he would accept.  :roll:

Most clanned PCs are rather loyal to their Houses and their 'duties'...with good reason, I suppose.

On the topic, independents can make bank but it takes lots of hours logged in, doing risky workt. Clanned PCs can just idle and spar...though this whole thread has already gone over that.

What I wonder is whether the extra sid they bring in causes coin to be worthless(as 50 sid is worthless) or whether it drives plotlines. I lean towards the latter.

I think clanned PCs are overpaid. Only the Bynners know what sid is truly worth to a commoner, because when they don't have any contracts, they're just scraping by.
The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything."
--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

You can't expect to bribe a furious templar into forgiveness with five 'sids.
You can barter and haggle what the bribe will be, it's not just an offer and a yes/no.

I've been seeing plenty of bribes as of late, all around me.  I'm pleased. :)
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

QuoteYou can't expect to bribe a furious templar into forgiveness with five 'sids.
You can barter and haggle what the bribe will be, it's not just an offer and a yes/no.

Perhaps you should read over my post over a little more closely. Anyhow, I'd rather take the higher price of a Templar than your average fussy brawny House guard or Militia man. Templars usually understand that bribes are just part of business.
The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything."

I did read it.  You could have tried to offer more, or try to see what else he'd like instead of 'sid.  As long as you don't go "Okay, so what the fuck -do- you want, Mr. I'm A Fucking Moron Sergeant Man?" and are a little subtle about it, you stand a good chance of success.
And some people simply don't like bribes because that's their personality, it doesn't have to mean anyone was playing badly.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Perhaps a bribing section should be added to the game docs AND to militia clan docs.  Emphasis on the fact that bribes are the norm in Zalanthan city life, not an exception.  Taking a bribe does not make one a disloyal soldier/employee/templar.

Indeed, accepting a bribe or other overture can be the first step in a clandestine relationship that -can- benefit your primary employer.  Letting the criminal element get away with petty shit for a price doesn't just line your pockets, it gives you an in to their society.  Eventually that has the potential to give you a heads up when something is going down that your boss really would care about.  

Even if it doesn't go anywhere, paying bribes will encourage that person to be more careful in the future, so that they don't have to keep paying bribes.  It is like an informal system of fines.  Instead of getting a ticket and having to go down to the courthouse to pay it off, you pay off the cop right there in the street.  Less hassel for everyone really, including the government.

It isn't necessarily cheating the system.  Some units may consider bribes to be like tips, a bonus for doing a good job -- the more bad guys you find, the more money you make.  Some may report the bribes they collect (or a portion of them) to their superior, and it might even be routine in some units that you kick back half the money you take in bribes to your Sarge, and he gives half of the he collects from the unit to his Templar with the weekly report.  It would be like working on commission.  A steady flow of bribe money shows that the unit is out there working and actively looking for wrong doers, not just sitting around waiting for crime to come to them.

The level of acceptable bribery would also depend on how many prisoners the city needs or can support.  Most of the time petty criminals (people who are absolutely no threat to the state) aren't worth taking up room in the cells or keeping jailers on duty to watch over them.  Now if Templar Hardass is planning a major arena event he might put the word out that he'd like to see the cells full a couple days ahead of time, to make sure that there will be a full slate of potential arena fodder just in case he needs them.  Or if there was a major accident in the mines or the farms and they suddenly needed a bunch more unskilled labour slaves -fast- then they might start hauling in unaffiliated people for loitering, traffic violations, or just "looking at me funny."  In that situation people commiting real crimes are going to have a harder time bribing their way out of trouble.  News of "high criminal retention periods" would quickly get around among the criminal element, so organized criminal organizations might discourage their members from pulling any jobs for a while, because it will be harder to get them off the hook if they get caught.

Bribes have a lot of potential.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Damn! A sociological look at the tradition of bribing! Cool!

That's impressive. Somehow I wonder if that's what the world is really like...

Quote from: "lazycritic"Damn! A sociological look at the tradition of bribing! Cool!

That's impressive. Somehow I wonder if that's what the world is really like...

It sure used to be.  New York city policy operated very close to what AC described for a while until they cracked down on them.  Prostitution, gambling and drinking during prohabition were all supported with legal protection through payoffs to the policy on a regular, smooth basis.  There were even lists, of how much every police officer in the precinct got a month in bribe money.  That was many years ago, but still, interesting none the less.

Taking a bribe isn't sleezy, it's patriotic!

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins