Grapple skill? Yay or nay?

Yay
21 (58.3%)
Nay
15 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: March 31, 2005, 05:09:12 PM

Just thought of a way to hopefully expand on the skill "subdue":

This could be implemented solely for the brawl code for taverns, or could be expanded to include unarmed combat as well.

Here is the instance:

Your combat oriented pc (either a warrior or subguild with the skill subdue) is facing off against his opponent. During the brawl, if you get a successful subdue, you can then...

>subdue elf

You subdue the lanky, silt-hued elf, despite his attempts to struggle away!

>:with a satisfied grunt, @ wrenches his body around, sweeping a foot
through %lanky spread legs.

>grapple elf

You shift your weight to one side, tossing the lanky, silt-hued elf to the ground!

I'm not trying to make this out like another way to "bash" your opponent. It's simply a way to hopefully add more depth to the unarmed combat. The skill itself could possibly be based off of agility, as in RL body movement and dexterity are more valuable tools than strength when using your opponent's weight against them. Strength could also be a factor, though to a lesser extent.

More thank likely, the skill would take off no damage. Likely a negligent amount of stun, perhaps? Highly skilled warriors could take off larger amounts?

What are your thoughts?

Nah.  It's part of climbing.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

I've always considered subdue to be a pretty complete hold. Meaning, that if I wanted to put my oponent on the ground, while subdued, I would be able to, with a little bit of RP.

Just a bit of extra coding for the imms.
your mother is an elf.

I've always used the subdue command, and threw in emotes about grappling and wrestling with my opponent.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

[derailment]
Quote from: "Cuusardo"I've always used the subdue command, and threw in emotes about grappling and wrestling with my opponent.

touché... She's not too bad at it either... But I always win...

[/derailment]

Yeah, I find adding more code to the game, really brings me down. Depressing to see all of these avid players, needing code to stay honest.
Rp it out, it's more fun, more rewarding. And it gives our coders their own lives.
your mother is an elf.

Quote from: "Moofassa"Depressing to see all of these avid players, needing code to stay honest.

I think you are seriously misunderstanding why I would like to see such a skill coded in.

Quote from: "Forest Junkie"
Quote from: "Moofassa"Depressing to see all of these avid players, needing code to stay honest.

I think you are seriously misunderstanding why I would like to see such a skill coded in.

I do misunderstand why you want such a skill coded in. I'd see this much the same as bash, or possibly subdue. Another variation instead of implementing a new code, would be to pretty much role-play grappling an opponent while using the code to give a similar outcome to what would happen if a 'grapple' skill was coded in.

I see the fighting code fair enough as it is and if there was to be a combat code change, it would have to be one extremely appealing to the staff and players.

Quote from: "Forest Junkie"I think you are seriously misunderstanding why I would like to see such a skill coded in.

I think that's because you haven't told us why. Reading your post, I'm not sure what the difference between what you are proposing, and simply emoting that you've wrestled the subdued person to the ground. Codedly, while you have them subdued, they are already pretty helpless.

What mechanically would be the difference? Why a new skill? If it's just to have the ability to wrestle in bars, subdue is already the right skill for it in my opinion. If you have already succeeded in the subdue, you have 'won' the wrestling part of the match, and already effectively have them pinned.

Is it worth an immortal spending a lot of time to create a new command and skill that is almost identical to an existing one? How would this add to the game?

If you really think it's a good idea, give us some examples of how it adds to gameplay, and what it does that is different from the way it currently works now.

Quote from: "deinol"If you really think it's a good idea, give us some examples of how it adds to gameplay, and what it does that is different from the way it currently works now.

Currently, you can only subdue your opponent. Then what? Throw them into another direction, as a sort of 'push' away from you. Hold them while a buddy jumps in to hit them. What can you as the player do while holding them? Pretty much nothing, short of letting them go.

The proposed addition to the skill 'subdue' would:

1) Allow the attacker to keep the fight progressing if he has no pals to step into the fight and clobber his opponent.

2) Grappling an opponent will toss them to the ground, and free up the attacker's hands to continue pummeling them with his fists.

3) This will prolonge combat and, I think, open up new avenues for increased roleplay between the fighters due to new situations.

4) There are limits to what emoting can do. A coded skill which allows the player to actually perform an advanced skill will only further augment roleplay and great combative meetings, in my opinion.

5) This skill could also open up new avenues for more interesting arena and pit-fight matches between gladiators and mercenaries who may be forced to fight after losing weapons, or without them at all.

6) The combat code would be, in my opinion, expanded at a great length, and add more depth/strategy when fighting an opponent unarmed. This skill could give the player the precious few seconds they needed to incapacitate an opponent/draw their weapons/strike their fallen victim.

7) This skill could help bypass the strong, stout fighters who are great bashers. It would be interesting to see an agile grappler and brash, muscle-bound warrior go at it, IMO.

I like it. Good ideas FJ, but I suppose the question is can it be done right now with RP? Technically, yes.

Are the staff to busy to code such a thing? Probably, but I wouldn't mind seeing it in game.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

I also like this idea. Remember, it can't happen until after a subdue has been done, so it is not another subdue. It additionally does something that can't be currently done, releasing the foe in a comprimising position. Grapple would, apparently, toss the foe to the ground and set the PC's position to do_sit. I assume that strength, dexterity, and so forth would play factors in this too, so I do like it, and I think it would be an easy code to do.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"I also like this idea. Remember, it can't happen until after a subdue has been done, so it is not another subdue. It additionally does something that can't be currently done, releasing the foe in a comprimising position. Grapple would, apparently, toss the foe to the ground and set the PC's position to do_sit. I assume that strength, dexterity, and so forth would play factors in this too, so I do like it, and I think it would be an easy code to do.

Yep.

You can do something similar to this without a skillcheck - throw a subdued person into an adjacent room, where they land in a sitting position. Why not be able to pass a skillcheck (base it off subdue, even) and throw someone to the ground in the same room?

Quote from: "Delirium"You can do something similar to this without a skillcheck - throw a subdued person into an adjacent room, where they land in a sitting position. Why not be able to pass a skillcheck (base it off subdue, even) and throw someone to the ground in the same room?
I agree, you should be able to 'throw <person> ground' (or floor, or whatever you want to call it.) There's really no reason to add a whole new command for this, and you shouldn't have to pass a skillcheck to do it if you don't have to pass one to throw them into the next room(!)

-Cindrak
quote="www.baobobcomic.com"]Naturally, the worst happened. Soon we saw not only a PC, but one of those weird PCs who uses words I don't know in their sdesc. The podgy, dappled dickens-whelp.[/quote]

You can "release" someone into another room, or somesuch.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Quote from: "Cuusardo"You can "release" someone into another room, or somesuch.

Yes, I think people are saying that because you -can- do this, they'd also like to be able to give someone a good toss to the ground in the same room.

-- X

Xygax, oh great lord of all that is Crackageddon. If you or another of the coders implement this skill, I wil send you a 5x7 picture of myself giving you a big thumbs up. Autographed[/], baybee.

I like Delirium's take on the idea also, if it would be easier to implement that way. That being said, I like this idea and hope you think on it.

Would this be an answer to implementing the idea?

Add a "here" to the "release" command. So, release just releases them, release <direction> tosses them in another room, and "release here" tosses them down on the floor of the room you are both currently in.

Or even simpler, release with no direction defaults to where you are.

I'm in favor of this. New skill/commands seems overkill, refining an old command seems fine.

If you can throw someone into another room, then you should be able to 'throw gith ground' or something like that.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

No, it's not an answer on implementing the feature.  Just clarifying  :)

-- X

Quote from: "Xygax"No, it's not an answer on implementing the feature.  Just clarifying  :)

-- X

ARGH! I still love you.   :roll:

>butter up Xygax