Dan,Tom,John,Biff..

Started by Anonymous, March 27, 2005, 09:31:32 PM

Just wondering why there aren't any 'commun' names in zalanthas, I mean in RL you've got tons of people named Jack or whatever, but in zalanthas I have only ever seen the same name used twice. Is it just cuz if you put 1+ syllables together you can get a reasonable zalanthan name?

I do think it'd be great if there was a list of common Zalanthan names.  Divided by social groups, of course.  Northern common names, southern common names, merchant family names, noble names (north and south), elven names, dwarven names, tribal names, and so on.

Perhaps someone (staff?) could compile such a list from past characters.

Amos, yeah..

Also I tend to name a lot of my PC's after things in the world. I think it would be common for people to do so.

I have seen a lot of names starting with Vash lately. Seems like a good common one.

Also short names like, Zig, Zim or Zander is one of I have seen more than once.

It's hard to say. The players often try to pick names that are orginal so you don't get too many alike. However I don't see anything wrong with using a name that you have heard before for your PC. It seems normal to me that people would name their children things that they have heard before and liked.

Naming your child the same name as a popular noble in respect (this could go either way depending on your city), or naming them after a favorite gemstone or plant.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Amos, Kali, Vashir, dirk.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Elflover, Sonofakank, Twogortoksf**king, Filthycommoner, Damntemplar, and Lord Fancypants are personal favorites.

Though I doubt most parents would name their kids such things.  Even in Zalanthas.
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]

Pretty much Kali, Vashir, Dirk, Amos, as well as famous noble are common names.

Utep is probably a common name in the north because he's a hero, I don't know about Tek though...you'd probably get arrested for having that name, even if it is out of respect.

Just like in USA: George, John, Thomas, As well as a name like Teddy, though not as common, the presidents played an important role in deciding what names were acceptable. Now it seams anyone famous is liable to have their name coppied...even donald trump.
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

QuotePretty much Kali, Vashir, Dirk, Amos, as well as famous noble are common names.

Why those four?(I know Amos was a common name amongst PCs and NPCs, but still...)

Quote from: "Kalden"
QuotePretty much Kali, Vashir, Dirk, Amos, as well as famous noble are common names.

Why those four?(I know Amos was a common name amongst PCs and NPCs, but still...)

They just seem to be common in certain parts of the world.  I'll admit to knowing more than one person with a few of those names recently.  Also, quite recently I played a character that shared the same name as another PC in the same area, made it kind of confusing for people trying to maintain tavern conversations with us at different tables :)

I think it would be neat if somebody compiled a list of names that are common to specific races, cities, or tribes.  

Dirka dirka!
anth: *tries to balance an evil laugh with a cheerful, open demeanor*

A sand-stuffed practice dummy looks down at you.

Come see Matrim's Armageddon website at:
http://ambushpaintball.com/armageddon

The irony is, I don't find "Amos" particularly appropriate to Zalanthas, personally.  Y'know.  Like, Amos 'n' Andy?  Might as well be Fred.  But, I guess that's just me.

I also actually -don't- think noble, templar, or Sorcerer-King names would be copied by commoners, because it kinda implies that a person is promoting themselves as even POTENTIAL equals to any of them -- which they aren't.  Other commoners..yeah, sure, I can buy that.  Or those people who really ARE trying to take the piss out of/poke fun at/out-do a noble, templar, or Sorc-King.  Again, maybe just a personal feeling on the matter.

-Savak
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]

Kali, because I had to find the mind of Kali. So I tried, got 4 pc's with the name Kali set as a keyword before I got the real one.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

A personal favorite of mine? Lo.
Amos, while painfully American, has been used so many times that it's definetly a part of Zalanthas now.
Kali is a new one. I've probably met Kalis in-game before, but I never bothered to keep a tally. Is it a male name? Female name? I'll have to use it sometime... (I enjoy having my character blend in).
Vash and Vashir sound like a throwback from Trigun, but it works, I suppose.
"Dirk" is a type of dagger, in addition to being very similar to a real-life name. You might as well name yourself "Dagger" if you're going for the badass look, or "Deric" if you're going for the regular Joe thing. And if you actually did either of those, I'd have to stab you. With a dirk.
While I think naming your lowly, shit-covered elven commoner children after prominent nobles, templars, and god-kings might be a bit presumptious, it would be respectful to give them similar names. It's not hard. Just stick the suffix "tep" on the end if you're a Tuluki (Harutep, Maktep, Jitep, Atep) or "nes" on the end if you're a 'Nakki (Talnes, Kolnes, Relnes, Yitnes). Names created in this way usually end up sounding masculine, however, probably because the god-kings are assumed to be male.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

And any name that is also a poisonous animal.
Spider
Scorpion
Anakore
Things like that.

I am going to name a pc Whiskey.

Dickhead seems popular in Allanak

At least I've met a few Dickheads in the South.  That's why I now play in the North.   :P
o longer playing and password scrambled so IMs won't reach me.  Sorry.

I've seen Val/Valan/Valanus/Vallar and a few other variations quite a few times.

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Kankfecker seems to be a common name down in 'nak.

Longneck seems to be a common name for elves

Stumpy seems to be a common name for dwarves

Round-ear seems to be a common name for human

Big guy seems to be a common name for a half-giant

Magicker seems to be a common name for an elementalist

... did I miss any?

I get those a lot.. or is it just me?
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

The intent of this thread was to discuss which REAL PC names were common.  Not nicknames for namecalling.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Veric, Verac, Varak, I've seen many variations on those.
Arya is a common name from what I've seen.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

I like the idea of compiling common names for a given region.

But at the same time, the culture we're playing in is a very primitive one and I think it adds to the feel when names are from more common-sense sources. Naming that little boy or girl after your favorite stone, or after your favorite drink, or in a way to push them towards a certain trait, goal or profession probably makes a lot more sense in this age than it does in modern times.

I've had a few characters that even went by an alias rather than any actual "name". Not everybody in this world was raised in a home or with a family. There's no adoption agency here. Your average Zalanthan orphan might just be named after what the biggest, baddest bully on his block decided to start calling him at an early age. I've tried to reflect this idea in a few of my characters.

Think outside the realm of the real world. I think "Dagger", as someone suggested jokingly, is a more viable name than many if not most of the others suggested here. Certainly moreso than Amos.
ust takin'er easy fer all'em sinners out there...