To Anon, re Ask The Staff on stats

Started by Bestatte, March 08, 2005, 11:12:51 AM

If you're comparing ONE human to ONE other human, then you're not taking a very reliable sample of the database.

I'd suggest - that you're missing out on a whole lot of randomness and just happened to meet up with a coincidence.

There are factors that go into the stats - such as height and weight, the guild of the character... then there's the random generator that picks from all the 'possible' stats of the combination of OTHER factors..

So chances are, you won't see a tall, beefy, 25-year-old human warrior with "poor" strength because "poor" is probably not an option given those factors when it comes to the random generator.

I say probably because I really don't know this as being a fact. It just seems to make sense that it would occur this way.

Now also given that there exists only "x" numbers of random combinations, it's pretty easy to conclude that you'll run into cases that seem like patterns. You can make a pattern out of almost anything, and in fact you can even find patterns in pure chaos.

I wouldn't make too much of it, personally, and I doubt it's a bug. But ya never know.

I have noticed my shadier type PCs having high agility lately. I was thinking I was just getting lucky.
The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything."
--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Staff, in previous posts, have confirmed that (at least) guild/age/race all affect starting stats.

Also that starting stats (plus, possibly, some other as-of-yet undisclosed variables) and one or more random elements are used to generate your Heath, Stamina, and Stun characteristics.

Without any sure idea of what variables are being utilized, AND the addition of at least one confirmed random element (with undefined limits), it seems to be a huge project to gather, compile and compare enough data to create any useful hypothesis.  I'd rather just play.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.