Crafting in Public

Started by fearwig, February 16, 2005, 06:26:33 PM

Quote#gag
Hey fearwig..somewhere in this thread (I think) you mentioned #gag.  Is that for real?If so, explain?

Quote from: "fearwig"On top of that, in a crowded setting, you shouldn't be emoting any more than what is reasonable that people might notice. So while an emote should signify that you're beginning a "session" of crafting, you wouldn't be emoting every time you start a new item, et cetera, especially if they're short-duration.

I think if you are engaged in a "session" of crafting which includes so many items that you are just deciding to not emote them, you're probably moving into over-crafting territory for a tavern.  The way I look at it, if you are taking up much space at all with your crafting (like, let's say, any table room, as opposed to something just in your hands or on your lap), or crafting multiple things, you are really pushing up your "better buy a drink or something" karma.

If, on the other hand, your crafting is attracting people to the tavern with interest, and they are purchasing from you, and hopefully buying something from the tavern along with it, your "better buy a drink" karma goes down, because you are now helping the tavern in other ways.  That's another aspect of taverns that people forget.  They don't exist to have every single person inside buying food and drink.  Some of those people attract other customers with their presence, like that scummy dude selling overpriced spice, or that woman over there carving the izdari piece.  Their customers also stop for a drink, and they're probably cutting in the bartender, so they aren't ever going to get hassled to buy something (and in low class taverns, which are like public houses, remember, probably no one is ever going to get hassled to buy something).  

If you're making significant money from your efforts, and your customers typically don't patronize the establishment itself, I'd go ahead and give a cut to the bartender (and have, even when buying from crafters).  Being on the bartender's good side is always a good thing.

Quote from: "bracken"
Quote#gag
Hey fearwig..somewhere in this thread (I think) you mentioned #gag.  Is that for real?If so, explain?

This is a client function, not provided by the mud, and no particularly relevant to this thread.  There are other threads on mud clients, and I recommend tracking them down, as a client (that is, something other than vanilla telnet) will make your life a LOT easier.

-- X

Quote from: "joyofdiscord"
I think if you are engaged in a "session" of crafting which includes so many items that you are just deciding to not emote them, you're probably moving into over-crafting territory for a tavern.  The way I look at it, if you are taking up much space at all with your crafting (like, let's say, any table room, as opposed to something just in your hands or on your lap), or crafting multiple things, you are really pushing up your "better buy a drink or something" karma.

I think that reason comes to play here, though. Thinking can be as useful in crafting as emotes, as can ldescs. If anything I'd say ldescs are a really powerful tool when roleplaying actions that wouldn't be readily apparent to the whole room due to its size.

I feel confident that my real-life experience is sufficient to judge the propriety of crafting in taverns, when it is an is not really acceptable from an IC perspective, based on what I know to be realistically possible in a public setting. I am also confident that most players, if honest with themselves, can use their own judgement in doing the same, if you see what I mean.

If you want to slow down your crafting in a public place, and think it is more reasonable to do it that way, by all means, go for it. Keep in mind that being in a tavern doesn't necessarily indicate that you are sitting at the bar talking up a storm, and keep in mind that most people don't give a good goddamn what you're doing in Zalanthas much as in the real world.

I used my hookah bar analogy earlier--my girlfriend brings her crochet in there, sometimes. I also know a guy who brings a small table easel in, too, so he can puff shisha and drink turkish coffee while he paints. You know what? I probably wouldn't do that in-game, simply because I think it'd be too extreme, depending on the character. But holy shit, someone does it in real life! And no one gives a damn, even in a rather crowded "tavern-like" environment. That should say something.

This sort of activity is only unusual because most people in 2005 don't *have* these passtimes, at least not in the same way that artisans would, not because people choose not to do them in a public place. A tavern is much more than a place that serves drinks, after all--it's a communal center. They recognize that if you frequent the place, you're going to buy something, and you're going to maintain the atmosphere with your continual presence so that others are inclined to buy things as well. It's how they operate. Applying excessive "etiquette" restrictions to crafting in public is an OOC influence on the game, that I'm rather sure of. While there are surely restrictions that anyone with common sense should know to apply to themselves, some people seem by this thread strongly inclined to overcompensate.

Quote from: "Xygax"
Quote from: "bracken"
Quote#gag

This is a client function, not provided by the mud, and no particularly relevant to this thread.  There are other threads on mud clients, and I recommend tracking them down, as a client (that is, something other than vanilla telnet) will make your life a LOT easier.

-- X

Yes, #gag is a Zmud function. I can see why some people play Arm without zmud, unlike other muds that would rely more heavily on aliases and triggers--but I still think it's a wise investment for the constant mudder (an investment of $0 if you're as unscrupulous as I).

The main triggers I use in zmud are color codes--I have phrases like "foreign presence" come up as teal instead of my client's standard lightish green, so that I don't spam past it. But then I am kind of absent-minded.