Spears

Started by Rhyden, February 09, 2005, 07:31:45 PM

I was thinking a bit; is it me, or does anybody else perceive dual wield using two spears as sort of wonky? I mean, its really hard to imagine using two spears unless really really experienced, strong and fast...anybody else see this?

Two full sized spears, yes.

Two short spears, no.

Quote from: "Delirium"Two full sized spears, yes.

Two short spears, no.

True, but even with short spears, being like about 3-4 feet (?), it's still wonky and would be pretty hard to maneuver. Also, take into consideration that with a spear, one is piercing, slashing would be a little bit easier with two short or long spears, but piercing would just be wonky...

Short spears are shorter than that.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Use one for offense, one for defense.

Keep the second in your off-hand as a way to parry aside blows leveled at your chest.

That's the way I roleplay it.

Wonky? Maybe.

Be a man, use a club.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"Be a man, use a club.

I still see it as wonky. Sword'n spear, club'n spear and especially axe'n spear is also pretty wonky...

...unless you're a moon mage lvl. 45 with two spears of ultimate doom +5 lightning strength of cloud destruction that can both be wielded giving you like a +8 chance to hit and +2 to save with a -2 advantage to your armor save.

:|

I don't think your average Zalanthian (or whatever the hell the correct term is for Zalanthas people) would have THAT much damn trouble dualing two spears, especially if one was fairly shorter than the main one.

That's just me.

Quote from: "Forest Junkie"I don't think your average Zalanthian (or whatever the hell the correct term is for Zalanthas people) would have THAT much damn trouble dualing two spears, especially if one was fairly shorter than the main one.

That's just me.

True, but it would be wonkier (love that word) and more difficult to use two spears than a sword and a shield, or just a sword in both hands per say. When it comes down to it, with such a whacky combo, would you risk using two spears that are difficult to maneuver?Or would you use a two-handed sword that is much easier to use, probably would save your ass more often, and would be more efficient to wear on your body?

-=Wonky=-

Be a man, use your hand.

Other then that, if you want the dual-wielding spears to go away, make fun of everyone that uses two. Make sure you never use two. Start a crazed bunch of people onto more brutal weapons like axes and clubs.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

What about a sword and a trident?

Some spears should get a twohanded bonus.

hahah. I wield my spear with two hands....ahahhahaha....It get a bonus....when I do.....hahahahaha......

hahahahhaaa.

Okay. Enough. Sorry.

Hahahahaha
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Dude...have you ever used two spears?  Or any weapons for that matter?  How do you know it wouldn't make the deadliest combo ever?
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

It seems to me spears are long, awkward, and almost impossible to parry with.
Back from a long retirement

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"It seems to me spears are long, awkward, and almost impossible to parry with.

I don't think it would be tough if you factor in agility/strength/skill/ along with the size of the spear.

A spear is essentially a bo-staff with a tip on the end. I know it's possible to parry with a bo-staff. Hence, I think there is a slight possibility one could parry with a spear.

Not to mention hand Eye coordination for two things at the same time.
Depth perception.

I would think that parrying with the blade would be the only option.  If you parry with the haft, then you don't have a spear anymore.
Back from a long retirement

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"I would think that parrying with the blade would be the only option.  If you parry with the haft, then you don't have a spear anymore.

Parrying does not necessarily take the brunt of any blow. It merely shifts the force of that blow in another direction with minimal exertion of energy. You'd have to be a bad joker to parry anything with a spearhead. I've personally never seen it done with bo-staffs unless used in a "circle-parry" manuever that attempts to disarm an opponent.

It would work well with two shortspears, the small stabbing kind that people throw from their horses.

Despite the way the code plays it, the spears need not always be used to stab. Not when you can smack people right in the head [like a club] using its shaft [body]

Just like the martial arts movies, if you guys get to watch a lot of those where you come from, chinese martial arts, so on. The spears are used as much as smacking equipment as stabbing kinds.
Lovehina- Ken Akamatsu

I agree.  Two spears is bad.  Not impossible, but definitely -less- beneficial than other weapon combos you could have.  Perhaps not with the code, but realistically.

A spear and a dagger?  Okay.  Spear and shield?  Much better, with history on earth as being widely used in the past.

However, I'm of the opinion that full-sized spears are going to be used two handed.  It just makes sense.  That's how you gain the full benefit of the long shaft, as a club, parrying staff, -and- stabber.  Take a five foot long stick, and swing it around.  Kinda unwieldy with one hand, huh?  At least for most.

Shortspears are different.  I still don't see two being used very often at all, but it greatly reduces the 'unwieldy' factor when used with other weapons.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Maybe they are worried that something branches off Dual Wield that does not branch off of TwoHanded or Shield Use?  I know that sounds really, really stupid, but I once had someone in my clan ICly trying to get me to switch from one single big spear to two little spears, and when I didn't they emailed me telling me that a particular thing branched of Dual Wield for my class.  I don't know if it was true, and even if true it would be a stupid reason to change weapon styles, but if that rumour is still going around that could indeed influence some people's choice of weapons.

Personally I think a parrying dagger would make a better off-hand choice.  It is still a piercing weapon, but a dagger is easier to mannage than a second spear, and actually makes more sense.  Even the short spears are a few feet long, so it is possible for your opponent to get so close that the spear (or any long weapon) becomes useless and unmanuverable.  Having a dagger available to stave off those bear hugs isn't a terrible idea, and it can also be used for parrying.  Didn't some historical spearmen or pikemen (Romans, maybe?) also carry shortswords, so they would have something useful for close quarters fighting?   Of course they didn't carry a pike or spear in one hand and a shortsword in the other at the same time, but it is sort of close.  :P

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I am with Tamarin here. I myself wouldn't scoff anything unless I am pretty sure it's impossible.

Also, can't forget good old classy
Quote from: "Homer in Ilias"...brandishing two spears,
he hurried forward like a mountain lion...

And to add some babble...

Two shortspears is definitely a reasonable concept, they're actually used.
I believe spear + off-hand is a real combo that existed in RL - legends about Cuculain metions he used a spear and a sword... blah blah. Yes, I know these are legends.
Spear + ciupaga axe I have definitely seen on a medieval tapestry depicting a combat scene. But then, the guy on that tapestry looks like he's just overseeing, maybe he's not intending to join at all :wink:  and maybe the author didn't know a thing about fighting. Who knows. I used it on Arm a couple of times since I saw that.
Thing is, the spear-using dual wielding techniques I surely know about were somewhat different from what we take as 'dual wield' here. Usually, Viking warriors brought up to three spears into fight - this was pretty common in many other nations as well. Spears were meant to be thrown at the opponent, but sometimes they kept one, took their axe or sword or whatever they had for close encounters, charged and slammed the spear into their foe's shield. With enough skill/luck, the spear got stuck in the shield, rendering it useless (or very unwieldy). So, the shield user is now holding shield with a few feet of wood sticking out of it - he can't move too well and most likely wants to get rid of the shield - but there's this guy in front of him already swinging his axe... you get the idea. So much for finesse. There was usually no place for fancy tricks and probing jabs in melee.
Another thing the code and many RPGs don't take into account is range. Just take phalanx. How'd you code -that-?

Edit: I just realized, you know many spears in game that don't have 'long' in sdesc are actually pretty short?
Quote from: VanthA well-placed grunt can be worth a thousand words.

Quote from: "Angela Christine"Maybe they are worried that something branches off Dual Wield that does not branch off of TwoHanded or Shield Use?  I know that sounds really, really stupid, but I once had someone in my clan ICly trying to get me to switch from one single big spear to two little spears, and when I didn't they emailed me telling me that a particular thing branched of Dual Wield for my class.  I don't know if it was true, and even if true it would be a stupid reason to change weapon styles, but if that rumour is still going around that could indeed influence some people's choice of weapons.

If this is true I'd say change it so that all weapon styles can branch.  Otherwise its code edging you into something because otherwise, with more believable and historically accurate fighting styles, you're being left behind.  But I have no clue whether or not that rumor is true, though I've heard it before as well.

Also on that note, some people likely use 2 spears because its allowed by code and pretty effective.  And in a way, that is RP.  If on Zalanthas a hunter can do the most damage wielding 2 spears, wouldn't alot of hunters try to hunt in that style?  Where's the line where you say the code isn't correct and doing something, for lack of a better term, is wonky?  Then again, not all spears can be dual wielded by everyone so I think there is some of this reflected in code.

Personally I prefer the utilitarian spear and dagger when playing a hunter.  But that's me.  8)

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"Be a man, use your hand.

Other then that, if you want the dual-wielding spears to go away, make fun of everyone that uses two. Make sure you never use two. Start a crazed bunch of people onto more brutal weapons like axes and clubs.

Used to, when I beat down a dual spear user, I'd emote getting so close that their spears became ineffective. Then I would poke fun and suggest real weapons. Some people switched, some didn't. Hopefully, they all thought about it for their next characters.

Quote from: "SpyGuy"
Quote from: "Angela Christine"Maybe they are worried that something branches off Dual Wield that does not branch off of TwoHanded or Shield Use?  I know that sounds really, really stupid, but I once had someone in my clan ICly trying to get me to switch from one single big spear to two little spears, and when I didn't they emailed me telling me that a particular thing branched of Dual Wield for my class.  I don't know if it was true, and even if true it would be a stupid reason to change weapon styles, but if that rumour is still going around that could indeed influence some people's choice of weapons.

If this is true I'd say change it so that all weapon styles can branch.  Otherwise its code edging you into something because otherwise, with more believable and historically accurate fighting styles, you're being left behind.  But I have no clue whether or not that rumor is true, though I've heard it before as well.

Two shortspears is likely if they are like less than two and a half feet or less in length (roughly 2 cords?). But they'd really be used more like swords than spears, really. I mean, its not like one would jab with two short spears more than they would swipe them, that's just the nature of combat.