Ranger Sneak/Hide Skills

Started by HardCarbon, January 31, 2005, 08:05:48 AM

Are these skills actually coded at all to work with Mobs?   Given that I have NEVER had an NPC fail to spot me right off moving into my room when I was hidden  nor have had an NPC ever fail to spot me moving into their room.
As the great German philosopher Fred Neechy once said:
   That which does not kill us is gonna wish it had because we're about to FedEx its sorry ass back to ***** Central where it came from. Or something like that."

Not all mobs, no. But some. Certain ones have uber scan and can see you hiding from very far away. Some are equally perceptive at noticing you walk into the room they're in. But some are just plain dumb critters who wouldn't notice a kank-fly biting their eyeballs utnil the first hint of pain set in.

Also, if your sneak / hide sucks (all skills suck on a starting PC) your chances of ever succeeding are slim.

Practice regularly for a couple RL weeks, and you will have success on the mobs without uber scan skills. And in a couple months, you'll do great.

It was an issue with sneak alone, that sneaking does not work on mobs.  I dont know how it is currently.

But for a city character, hide works on NPCs for certain.  Once, sneak worked on one as well, but I dont know if it was my luck or sneaking an NPC is coded.
some of my posts are serious stuff

In times past, the problem with sneaking up on mobs, or at least on autoflee mobs, was that they were constantly looking.  So even if you were able to successfully sneak, they would look, see you, and flee before your movement delay had worn off.  Or at least, that was my understanding of the situation.

The short answer is, I have no idea if sneak works on mobs, but in times past, it was not terribly effective.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Mobs that auto-flee still seem to ignore sneak. Is that a bug :?:

It's not an ideal situation.  Call it a 'feature'.  The issue is that, yes, NPC's typically notice your entry into their room regardless of whether you successfully sneak or not, and is most noticeable when attempting to sneak up on critters which flee from you.  This is something we'd officially like to see fixed, but haven't developed a good alternative solution that the code is happy with.

-Savak
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]

Quote from: "Savak"It's not an ideal situation.  Call it a 'feature'.  The issue is that, yes, NPC's typically notice your entry into their room regardless of whether you successfully sneak or not, and is most noticeable when attempting to sneak up on critters which flee from you.  This is something we'd officially like to see fixed, but haven't developed a good alternative solution that the code is happy with.

-Savak

And the locust isn't a bug :)

One solution     New command:
 'Hunt'
Delay:  Before
Description:  Using this command one a 'mob' within visual range will attempt to make to move towards the creature stealthly  and execute a melee attack once you reach the creatures... opposed by the creatures scan ability (modified by listen).  The longer the distance between you and your target the greater the time to engage and the greater the chances to be noticed.   A successful hide before using this skill enhances chances of success as will some  lousy stinking filty magic.
As the great German philosopher Fred Neechy once said:
   That which does not kill us is gonna wish it had because we're about to FedEx its sorry ass back to ***** Central where it came from. Or something like that."

Or how about something like:

Skill:  Fade
Usage:  Fade <direction>
           Fade north

Known to those who have mastered the arts of stealth, those with knowledge of this skill can attempt to continually remain unnoticed as they stalk their prey.

The skill would probably branch from certain skills.  It would involve a fade skill check, a sneak check, a movement in a specified direction, and a hide check.  If everything goes successfully, you sneak in the specified direction and automattically, instantly hide.  Delay would be after.  Might have to code a specific Fade_hide flag to get this to work quit right, which would work just like regular hide, except it would remain until a regular hide was processed.  So from a code standpoint, fade command, fade_hide flag, movement, regular hide flag replacing fade_hide.  That way, your character is continually hidden throughout the process, so any constant "look" commands by the NPC would not detect you.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

I have to submit this for idea.

If you take the relevant if_PC tags (and if_NPC in some cases) off the certian segments in the code which apply to these situations, then the code will not care if it is a PC or an NPC.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

What I've seen implemented in other MUDs allows characters good in both hiding and sneaking, to hide, and then sneak and remain hidden in the next room. I'd say it should be able to be coded if your sneaking and hiding, that if you succeed you have your sneak check, and then another hide check.

Someone might see you sneak in but not notice you disapear again.

It'd kind of take into account, sneaking to a new hiding place. Some people might think it'd be better then being invisible, but it's just as likely someone can see you, either sneaking in or in your hiding place.

It'd allow alot better use of the skills. Although probably would promote people to sneak and hide everywhere untill they are good enough to remain unseen by most folks, but then again, ALOT of sneaky characters sneak and hide everywhere they go when they start out it seems... So it wouldn't be a huge change.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Quote from: "Twilight"Or how about something like:

Skill:  Fade
Usage:  Fade <direction>
           Fade north

Known to those who have mastered the arts of stealth, those with knowledge of this skill can attempt to continually remain unnoticed as they stalk their prey.

The skill would probably branch from certain skills.  It would involve a fade skill check, a sneak check, a movement in a specified direction, and a hide check.  If everything goes successfully, you sneak in the specified direction and automattically, instantly hide.  Delay would be after.  Might have to code a specific Fade_hide flag to get this to work quit right, which would work just like regular hide, except it would remain until a regular hide was processed.  So from a code standpoint, fade command, fade_hide flag, movement, regular hide flag replacing fade_hide.  That way, your character is continually hidden throughout the process, so any constant "look" commands by the NPC would not detect you.

I just dug up this thread.. and REALLY like this idea.  Really, really like it.