No
70 (60.9%)
Only on occasion in special situations
4 (3.5%)
I've never even heard of the infobar
24 (20.9%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Voting closed: January 30, 2005, 11:00:06 AM

Just trying to get a feel for how many people use it, for research purposes.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

BackInTheDay(TM), when I powergamed, I used it.

After the epiphany, I stopped using it... both 'cause I didn't care about hit points anymore, and because it interferes with logging through tintin.  (Modern clients could probably strip the vt100 control sequences.)

I prefer to rely on the stat prompt. I use MushClient, which is kinda wonky when you try to use infobar. You end up with horrible colors that clash (or sometimes blend in completely) with the rest of the game. I've tried to reset the colors, but MushClient won't recognize the changes, or changes it to something even more gruesome than the first time around.

I like keeping things very clean on my game client. Pale grey background with a dark navy text, no bolds, no highlights, no triggers, no macros, no nuttin. The Infobar just cluttered it up so I ditched it and never looked back.

Hell no I don't use it.  Never have.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

I used to use it when I was soley a tintin++ man.
Nowday's it's the prompt and Zmud.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

In its current incarnation, I find it unsightly, clunky, and largely useless.

I use MUSHclient and have my prompt set up in the client's infobar.

My own prompt settings mock your infobar in their superiority!

WTH?

Prompt. All mine.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I would probably use the info bar if it was customizable. Or if I could figure out how to let Cantrip show me ansi colour.

I think it'd be alittle nice then the prompt every time, but I like the more versatility with the prompt. Also it doesn't really work with MushClient.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

I'm another MushClient person, so it's kinda painful ot use it.

Also, as others have said, the prompt is way more versatile.

Prompt for me.
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

I might, possibly, consider using it, but the screen split feature of my client doesn't get along well with the infobar.

Oh, just for the record, I'd vote but nothing fits. There is no, "I would ... blah" Or "I used to ..."

I used to when I used zMUD. My old copy stopped working like it should. So I switched to MushClient, which doesn't support vt as well but can also use it when your poor and still have useful features.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Quote from: "CRW"My own prompt settings mock your infobar in their superiority!
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I generally use the prompt and infobar.  It helps me keep track of how much life-points/stamina/stun I'm recovering without constantly having to hit enter.

Unsightly?  I guess it is when you first type the command, but the amount of people who say this make me wonder if they don't actually know the true function of the infobar.
Back from a long retirement

I don't use it because the prompt works just fine for me, and because infobar (in my experience) makes scrollback difficult or impossible.
Tlaloc
Legend

Um, for those of us who chose the "I don't know what infobar is" option...
what -is- infobar?

Seems like an okay option for people without a client, but modern clients can do infobar-like things better (especially combined with prompt).
Amor Fati

Err I dislike it so much I set up an alias to prevent me from activating it by accident :)
As the great German philosopher Fred Neechy once said:
   That which does not kill us is gonna wish it had because we're about to FedEx its sorry ass back to ***** Central where it came from. Or something like that."

I used to use the infobar but since I switched to a client that doesn't support vt100, I can't use it.  I'd like to have it though if it were somehow possible.
-- Person A OOCs: I totally forgot if everyone is okay with the adult-rated emotes and so forth?

-- Person B OOCs: Does this count as sex or torture? I can't tell.

-- Person A OOCs: I'm going to flip coins now to decide.

I use simplemu and I love my info bar.
idhogg

Ask me if I'm a tree

I didn't even know the infobar worked. Nope, no, never. Maybe it isn't compatible with zmud...maybe it isn't.
Well, even if I asked for directions to set it up, nah. Prompt is more than enough. Prompt = Good.
Veteran Newbie

Infobar, huh? :wink:
You do know that MUDsex is not a coded skill, right? -Nidhogg

The one, and only real, advantage to infobar (in my humble opinion) is that it gives an instant and constant update to your hp/stamina/movement, where the prompt is sometimes delayed by action-lag. Not really a -huge- thing, but it can sometimes come in handy in combat situations.

Prompt command all the way :)
 staff member sends:
    "The mind you are trying to reach is disconnected or no longer in service.
If you feel you have reached this recording in error... trust us. We know. = message A-16"

Just for the record, I too do use the infobar when I play PC's.  My client is Wintin.net and I can use scrollback features just fine without messing up the infobar.  When scrolling back, the infobar goes away, obviously, but when I return to the bottom, the infobar is intact and works great.  The only issue I have is that log files will have some random numbers in random spots as the infobar got updated, but that's liveable to me.

I used to use the infobar, and still do when I can't use tinyfugue.  I've set up a hook in tinyfugue to catch my prompt and stick it into a custom infobar - the numbers get colored depending on whether they increased/decreased since the last prompt.

If anyone else uses tinyfugue and would like to see the hook, I'd be happy to post it here.

Quote from: "Nidhogg"I use simplemu and I love my info bar.

I use SimpleMU as well, but the one time I tried using the info bar, it didn't work out.  How did you set it up?
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

I just toggled it on. I didn't set it at all. Toggled it on and when something happens it flashes at me. When nothing happens it doesn't, which I like.

Someone else told me they had issues with it with simplemu, the only theory I can throw forth is my default color scheme. I work with a sand background and black typeface, red echo. (I love my armie interface) The info bar shows green.
idhogg

Ask me if I'm a tree

At the APM someone showed me the infobar....I soon forgot about it until now.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Follow up:
I've been informed that my info bar might not be working correctly. On Simplemu, apparently there's an issue with handling some vt thing. What happens on simplemu is this. The info bar is not static like prompt. Meaning that it doesn't appear each time I hit return. Instead it only shows when a stat changes. I like it.
idhogg

Ask me if I'm a tree

The infobar doesn't work properly under Gmud either, it doesn't show up as a bar, just dribbling output.

I use it some of the time.  I don't use it in situations where I am moving on foot in a stamina draining area, because having each and every stamina drop drip down my screen is annoying.  I also turn it off durring group combat, because the screen scrolls too fast for me to keep up as it is, and any extra carriage returns are a nuisance.

An amusing side affect of the way the infobar works is that when you turn it on you can see how much mana you have, even if you are not a mana-using guild.  Sure it's useless, but it does provide for the occasional "D'oh, I could have ruled the world!" moment if you get a non-mage with really high mana.  :P

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Ok, after some playing around with it, I got WinTin working, and the infobar working.  So first, change one of those "no" votes to a "yes".  I like my new spiffy infobar.

Second, for those of you who currently can't use the infobar or who get "dribbling" input, as AC described it, this is because your client is probably not set to VT100 emulation mode.  I don't know what clients have VT100 emulation capability - I will say that after much searching, I couldn't find the option on SimpleMU.  I know that WinTin, or really any TinTin derivative, will have VT100 emulation.  zMUD has it as well, I believe.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

I say we write a proprietary client.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: "jmordetsky"I say we write a proprietary client.

Sounds like you just volunteered.  Hurray!  So, you'll have it done, when?

One with music.
idhogg

Ask me if I'm a tree

Quote from: "Halaster"

Sounds like you just volunteered.  Hurray!  So, you'll have it done, when?

One month....but you have to give me full karma, a bastard sword of genocide silt horror, two scrolls of identify, a + 10 ring of regeneration and a full set of ethereal plate mail.

Oh...and my ldesc should now read "The omnipotent man who is apparently made of pure steel. Even his penis."

www.j03m.com

Done!
Crap!

*logs into Imm account to edit and repost something oddly similar to it*

Done!

Except we traded steel for Bone. Sorry, but it sounds funnier.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I use infobar for the specific reason that it dribbles out information when my guy gets movement back, or health back, or stun back.

Sure, it's not working, but I like to see my movement points grow and at what rate they grow, scrolling across my screen.

I've been using it incorrectly since '98, and will forever use it.

NOTE: I just realized I just responded to some SPAM BOT that is posting in old dead threads.  I hate spam bots.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "Tamarin"Hell no I don't use it.  Never have.

It has never been used by me either.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

I've never heard of it, until just now.

I would ask that you lengthen the amont of prompt by ten characters, though. Sometimes, I can't get everything I want in because of the character limit

I'll try out the info-bar.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"I've never heard of it, until just now.

I would ask that you lengthen the amont of prompt by ten characters, though. Sometimes, I can't get everything I want in because of the character limit

I'll try out the info-bar.

I'd second the request for more characters in the prompt, sometimes I have to weigh the options of what to include.  I'm another MUSHClient user, infobar never seemed to work right and messed with my colors so I don't use it though it does look helpful in some cases.

Custom prompts are where it's at.

Considering I don't even know what this thing is, I'm going to say no.  I do use prompt and the ansi yellow highlight thing.  To be technical about it :)

I don't ordinarily use the infobar, but I just played around with it and it's kinda neat when you're resting to recuperate health/mana/stamina/stun.  You can just sit back and watch it blip up without having to hit enter to get a new prompt every 10 seconds.

It also refines a data point (for the patient and statistically-oriented).
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: "jmordetsky"a full set of ethereal plate mail.

So... ya want a set of platemail... that swords can just go right through?

Never.  Prompt only.
The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God? -Muad'Dib

So let's all go focus on our own roleplay before anyone picks up a stone to throw. -Sanvean