Transfer between the bank accounts

Started by eska, January 25, 2005, 10:12:25 PM

I think people of Zalanthas should be able to transfer coins between the bank accounts. Nenyuk also can make profit from it. They can charge some percent as a transferring fee. Please add your comments.
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

You think:
"No! Please leave me be whoever you are."

You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind.

If you mean accounts in different cities, you already can, in a virtual sense. When you deposit coin in Allanak, Tuluk has a record of the current balance. The account is world-wide, not city-wide.

If you mean accounts for different people, that would be problematic. Nenyuk has no way to verify that you have permission to withdraw from someone else's account. Even if you could, Nenyuk would have no way of knowing that you murdered your buddy just so you could get your hands on his stash, and that the last thing he'd want was for you to do so.

If you mean accounts for clans, you already can if you are a member of that clan authorized to do so.

I think he means transfering money from your account to someone else's account.  The problem is, how would the code know who to transfer to?  Keywords are not unique, and names are just keywords.

Marauder Moe wrote
QuoteI think he means transfering money from your account to someone else's account. The problem is, how would the code know who to transfer to? Keywords are not unique, and names are just keywords.
Im not sure about the coding part. I just thought it would be very nice if your house deposits your payment to your bank account regularly. Or someone transfers sids to your account.
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

You think:
"No! Please leave me be whoever you are."

You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind.

Imagine if it did work off of names.. Poor 2.Amos. Never gets any money.
While Amos would get money from all 19,000 amoses.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Don't know how possible it would be really for coding. Unless both people where there when it happens. And then, it'd defeat the purpose.

As for monthly payments from clans and such ... Automatic deposits probably wouldn't work. Would have to be some sort of human element involved either way. I don't think the code could handle handing things out. Maybe if your character is rich, get a lockbox with two keys. Let your superiour who handles your pay keep one key. It might work.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Besides that, if they did start a 'direct deposit' from a clan, I can see some code-game abusive people who are bored with their new role thinking "Well this sucks. I'll just stop playing for a while, let the money roll in while I do nothing and then quit the clan and be rich anyway!" The obvious solution to this would be 'Well, monitor their IG playtime, so after you play x amount of time you get your monthly pay'. Decent, but provides a new form of abusiveness. "I'll just leave my Arm running and go to bed, that'll rack up 8 more hours" Or, what about the person who plays religiously and works hard when they play, but due to work, family, whatnot, can only spend 30 minutes a day playing. They'll reach X-payday a lot slower than someone crashing in a bar for 10 RL hours scratching their ass.

I've only had 2 (out of 8 so far) clanned characters. And the pay wasn't always regular, but it usually got there eventually, and sometimes with back-pay for a missed month or something.

Besides. So maybe the pay is late, you're getting your food and water for free, if no money is really an issue, start pimping yourself out to support that spice habit, or else cut back.  :wink:
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

I think the current pay system works fine. I wouldnt want to see a direct deposit 'payday' as then people can avoid interaction with others in the clan and that just makes those in a clan more distant from others in the clan.

I know I handle pay for a certain clan and its posted in our forum what day RL payday is and what times I will be on. I make it a LONG range of time which can be annoying when no one shows up or posts that they cant make it/sends a pm asking for a different day as I make myself sit on for those 4-5hrs RL time to accomadate paying them. In those circumstances, myself, and my pc, doesnt feel it necessary to go out of my way to chase down those pcs to get them their pay.
 staff member sends:
    "The mind you are trying to reach is disconnected or no longer in service.
If you feel you have reached this recording in error... trust us. We know. = message A-16"

Sorry, I see no reason Nenyuk needs to become a "full service" bank.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Agent Fancy pants way's me and lets me know that my pink poka-dot dress is in. I way him back saying excellent I shall have the funds transferred to your account.

I saw this idea as a person walking into the bank saying, please transfer 2000 coins from my account to Agent Fancy Pant's account please.  The clerk would look up the ledger, find fancy pant's name, nod, cross  2000 coins off my account balance and place it under his.

Sounds nice right? Would solve that awkward emoting out getting a bag filled with 2000 coins and passing it to so and so, only to have so and so put the coins back in the bank.

I think it's a good idea, the only problem I see is names. There are some PC's that have the same name as others. Amos for one. So how would the Clerk know which Amos you are depositing for code wise? One way you could do this is by asking for a last name. But not all common folk have a last name. So though I like the idea, I see it as unfeasible, unless you were to revamp the game to include first and last names. Something that I don't see as really worth the time.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

If you keep having your aide perchase things for you, or keep buying things for your lord... than give the aide house access.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

I once asked about the possibility of transferring funds from the Nenyuk account to the account of another of the Great Merchant Houses. I was told that it wasn't easy given the way the current code works. Possible... just not that easy. Withdrawing and depositing turns out to be an easier process.

There are also certain behind-the-scenes things (that I shouldn't go too deeply into) that would make this service VERY unpopular with some folks.

Regarding sarahjc's scenario... Agent Fancypants ways her, and the dress is ready. She wants to arrange to have money deposited into his account. There is, in fact, a somewhat roundabout way to do that - you could deposit your money into the "House Fancypants" account (last I checked, you could deposit into any named account, although this may have changed), and have the Agent (who presumably has access to that account) withdraw it later if needed. Leaving aside the HUGE amount of log-searching and bookkeeping this would lead to whenever there was a dispute... how do you get your dress? You STILL need to meet with someone to pick up the goods. So why not pay then? If the agent has it delivered by a courier, have the courier pick up your payment. Simple. Effective. No new code required.

This wouldn't address the original poster's concern, but nothing short of House Nenyuk is going to enable the kind of thing that he's asking. Even the nobility and templars do not have access to your bank account, your balance, or the like. Yes, it's remotely possible that for a considerable fee, House Nenyuk could put a system in place where a clan could make regular "payroll" payments and have it distributed to the appropriate accounts. However, that would require a LOT of work (meaning a very high fee) both in-game (in terms of extra people for recordkeeping, making sure things get where they need to go, and the like) and out of game (putting in new code, keeping up with who is alive or dead, and who is getting paid by whom). I'd rather see our staff put their effort into other areas.

Coming full-circle with this... if you think your character isn't being paid regularly, I suggest you send an email to your clan imms. Maybe there's a REASON you haven't been paid.  :P

Do you mean joint accounts? If that's what's being said here, I think it's a good idea. Since there's only individual accounts, two would have to place all their coins together in one of the individual's accounts, which isn't a very trusty system and is a nuissance if one of the persons isn't logged in.

If you mean anything else, it's probably already posted.  :wink:

I rather like the exchange of large amount of funds, ICly, if for no other reason than its a chance that someone could mug the people exchanging the money, and making off with thousands of sid. The game isn't about financial security of your characters...its about getting into fun plots with your characters. And I'd rather have the chance of having to track down a bastard who made off with all my money, than to just poke a boring button which instantly, and safely, transfers the money.
Tlaloc
Legend

Quote from: "Rhyden"Do you mean joint accounts? If that's what's being said here, I think it's a good idea. Since there's only individual accounts, two would have to place all their coins together in one of the individual's accounts, which isn't a very trusty system and is a nuissance if one of the persons isn't logged in.

I doubt, highly, that nenyuk would ever do this.
As it works now- You die, they get what you left in their account.
That way- They would lose, litterally, a ton of money unless both people died, seeing as how they can withdraw the dead person's share and spend it.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"
Quote from: "Rhyden"Do you mean joint accounts? If that's what's being said here, I think it's a good idea. Since there's only individual accounts, two would have to place all their coins together in one of the individual's accounts, which isn't a very trusty system and is a nuissance if one of the persons isn't logged in.

I doubt, highly, that nenyuk would ever do this.
As it works now- You die, they get what you left in their account.
That way- They would lose, litterally, a ton of money unless both people died, seeing as how they can withdraw the dead person's share and spend it.

Given the Zalanthian mortality rate, I don't see this as much of a problem. It's much like clan accounts except Nenyuk still has a good chance of getting the deceased' coins. Usually joint accounts are made for larger sums of money, so Nenyuk would profit from that as well. The only downside would be the difficult coding.

Which few Zalanthans have, that aren't a merchant or a noble or templar.
Pcs are not the rule on the coin.

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"Which few Zalanthans have, that aren't a merchant or a noble or templar.
Pcs are not the rule on the coin.

I, along with several others have had quite wealthy individuals not being nobles or templars. Think outside the average PC with 100 obsidian in the bank. There's store owners, barkeepers, mount-sellers and candlestick-makers. There are rich bards, successful independant merchants, you name it. There are well-off people out there. I'm just saying having a joint account would be a neat idea, one Nenyuk could consider by themselves.

Succsessful to who?
Most Pcs shouldn't be as rich as they are. Just ignore PCs.
The rest most likely keep a couple hundred (Which is probably a great deal of coin to them) in the bank and the rest in merchandise.

Maybe, first of all, grammitcally, it would be successful to whom. Secondly. Successful in the eye of the beholder and probably your median Zalanthian society.

Most PCs shouldn't be as rich as they are? Says who? Who's this unknown econonomic decision maker? I've never heard of them.

Yes, some people have 100 obsidian to bank, some have 10, 000. Common Zalanthians are allowed to have partners, even get married if they wish. Therefore, having a joint account would prove their trust for one another and be more convienient.

You say that this wouldn't benefit Nenyuk? They're a bank. Who cares what sort of system they have as long as people deposit money at -their- bank. Having no opposition, this isn't too hard. The Nenyuk bank would, yes, benefit from the deaths of they customers but I don't think that's their primary funding source.

-Rhyden

Why? Because Pc's over hunt and make a shitload of 'sid.
They see a bard's performace and give too much to the PC bard, than most average citizens would.

I doubt any noble house could afford to spend 400-700 per worker a month, where they don't obviously don't have a very steady supply line (tor). It is exaggerated to be playable.

Minor derailment, but if a couple want a 'joint account' that Nenyuk can't absorb, the sensible thing would seem, to keep their money someplace other than Nenyuks. Someone mentioned about paying accounts with a locking box and two keys... I see this being a more sensible solution to joint accounting. Locking box, kept in a locking appartment. Sure, there's a bigger chance that someone will steal it. But if you're going to be hoarding large amounts of money anyway, use some of it to invest in a good lock. *shrug*
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"Why? Because Pc's over hunt and make a shitload of 'sid.
They see a bard's performace and give too much to the PC bard, than most average citizens would.

I doubt any noble house could afford to spend 400-700 per worker a month, where they don't obviously don't have a very steady supply line (tor). It is exaggerated to be playable.

Actually, Tor has a very steady supply line. You just dont see it. :)
 staff member sends:
    "The mind you are trying to reach is disconnected or no longer in service.
If you feel you have reached this recording in error... trust us. We know. = message A-16"

What's wrong with:

withdraw 5000 coins
give 5000 coins bob

Bob types:

deposit 5000 coins.

That takes maybe 3 seconds?  3 commands?  Not worth spending the time coding transfers, for only allowing the elimination of 2 commands (you'd still have to type something like transfer 5000 bob).  Plus, as Tlaloc said, the way it is gives people a slight slight slight slight chance of getting your money while you do it.

Basically, the time involved to code this would never be worth the results.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"Why? Because Pc's over hunt and make a shitload of 'sid.

A sack of flour costs 10+ sid. One portion of raw meat that keeps you satiated for a day 15+ sid. Considering those prices, a few hundred on the bank isnt much at all.

This is Zalanthian economy. It is good that things are valued a high amount of obsidian coins. It makes every price more specific and accurate. The only downside is the weight of the coins you have to carry around.  :wink:

Halaster- Good point, a joint account system definitely wouldn't be worth the time to code. The only thing about using Bob's account is that Bill can't get his money back from Bob without Bob being there, had they wanted to share an account. Also, Bob could just stick his nose up to Bill one day saying that Bill won't get his money back. Of course, it was only an idea, I don't even want it submitted into the game. If you want to joint account, chances are you're rich enough to buy your own space to keep your own money.

Quote from: "Akaramu"A sack of flour costs 10+ sid. One portion of raw meat that keeps you satiated for a day 15+ sid. Considering those prices, a few hundred on the bank isnt much at all.

And that's not even starting on WATER, which, yes, even the VNPCs have to drink.  I think players' conceptions of the life of the average Zalanthan is a little skewed toward the dirt-poor side.  The way I usually hear it portrayed, those commoners must die of hunger and thirst pretty quickly.  Sure, lots of Zalanthans are poor, but if they can't keep themselves fed, they aren't going to be alive very long.  My PCs might have a few hundred sid on a given day, which people like to say is just so much money, but realistically, they often can't afford to spend any of that money on luxuries, not if they want to stay alive when things get a little bit tougher.

Quote from: "joyofdiscord"
Quote from: "Akaramu"A sack of flour costs 10+ sid. One portion of raw meat that keeps you satiated for a day 15+ sid. Considering those prices, a few hundred on the bank isnt much at all.

And that's not even starting on WATER, which, yes, even the VNPCs have to drink.  I think players' conceptions of the life of the average Zalanthan is a little skewed toward the dirt-poor side.  The way I usually hear it portrayed, those commoners must die of hunger and thirst pretty quickly.  Sure, lots of Zalanthans are poor, but if they can't keep themselves fed, they aren't going to be alive very long.  My PCs might have a few hundred sid on a given day, which people like to say is just so much money, but realistically, they often can't afford to spend any of that money on luxuries, not if they want to stay alive when things get a little bit tougher.

Precisely, Joy. Having a few hundred 'sids in the bank isn't luxurious, it's insuring you survive for the next month.

Quote from: "Rhyden"

Halaster- Good point, a joint account system definitely wouldn't be worth the time to code. The only thing about using Bob's account is that Bill can't get his money back from Bob without Bob being there, had they wanted to share an account. Also, Bob could just stick his nose up to Bill one day saying that Bill won't get his money back. Of course, it was only an idea, I don't even want it submitted into the game. If you want to joint account, chances are you're rich enough to buy your own space to keep your own money.

Oh, I didn't realize you meant a joint account like that.  There are clan bank accounts, but that is limited to an entire clan, not just a couple of folks.  But that's the only type of 'join' accounts there are, currently.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Quote from: "Halaster"*stuff*
What are the possibilities of letting pc's deposit into clan banks that are not their own?

example:  Kadian goes to Nenyuk and deposits a thousand sid for the byn.
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

I think this will be difficult to prove and check in-game, Marc.

Clan bank accounts will often get boosts from staff members once they run dry, that extra 750 'sids might just go unnoticed.  People can just go "But I already paid you!" and keep all that money, and the Byn will never know.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I don't think this idea should be implement. It is indeed very convenient. However, I prefer to hunt for the person in charge for my money. It's more fun!!!
Besides, if this implement, player can chose not to log on to play but they still get money and get rich. I like the current code.
rmageddon is the game that I enjoy most!!!!