Stamina

Started by Rhyden, January 22, 2005, 11:46:39 PM

Just a quick question, why is it that stamina can't be regained when standing? I know I can catch my wind by standing, why can't Zalanthians?

While standing, your head is at a higher elevation, and with the unstable atmospheric conditions of zalanthas, that throws off your equilibrium.  Not only that, but even though it doesn't say so, your head is at just the right elevation for sand to be constantly whipping about, so that you're always staying just as tired because of waving your arms around frantically just to keep from losing your sight permanently.

Actually, I just don't know.  :P
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I've always just said "Because it's damn hot".

You want to regain mvs? Just hang out in the shade.

Armaddict, I was actually believing you until the part where you said you didn't know. lol

Quote from: "Forest Junkie"I've always just said "Because it's damn hot".

You want to regain mvs? Just hang out in the shade.

True, but you'd think if you stood under a tree, you'd still be relaxing a little. Right?

*shrug* If that is the case, why not just rest then change your ldesc to "is leaning against a tree"

That's how I do it.

Quote from: "Forest Junkie"*shrug* If that is the case, why not just rest then change your ldesc to "is leaning against a tree"

That's how I do it.

Ya, but it's just not the same as standing and regaining stamina, which is impossible. *Shrug

It is possible to stand and regain stamina.  It's just slow.

You can't regain it completely, but that's how it is.  Just standing around for a bunch of hours can be tiring.  Also, sitting or lying back is more comfortable, and this is the code's way to reflect this.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "Larrath"It is possible to stand and regain stamina.  It's just slow.

You can't regain it completely, but that's how it is.  Just standing around for a bunch of hours can be tiring.  Also, sitting or lying back is more comfortable, and this is the code's way to reflect this.

Really? I had no idea. Guess I'll have to stand around idly more often.

Really really.  At least unless I have an extremely poor memory.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "Larrath"Really really.  At least unless I have an extremely poor memory.

Really, really, really, really? Jk. I'll have to try it out, but you may want to check your score again, Larrath, make sure your wisdom isn't very poor.  :wink:

(I'm such a loser at times)

Quote from: "Larrath"Really really.  At least unless I have an extremely poor memory.

Your memory is correct.  You can gain stamina while standing, it's just very very slow, as you said.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Quote from: "Halaster"

Your memory is correct.  You can gain stamina while standing, it's just very very slow, as you said.

That's awesome, now I don't have to go to all that work and type 'rest' anymore.  :wink:

Rhyden...you'll be standing for hours RL before you regain anything worth cheering about.
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

Changing the topic slightly, but not wanting to start an entirely new thread, I ask this question, "Does increased endurance speed your stamina replenish?  If not, do particular rooms speed stamina replenish?"  I'm almost 100% positive my present character regains stamina faster than any other character I've ever had.  Lol, I hope it's not a glitch, it's rather nice.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Yes, shaded rooms and dark rooms, (just like in real life) Are easier to rest in.

The better your endurance, the more you have and the faster you feel ready to tackle the world again!
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

It would be nice to see the rest command stripped of the "sits down" echo. I frequently rest and then change ldesc or emote (both, generally) to indicate that I'm leaning on something to catch my breath, and while that's more realistic it's still giving a double-impression.

A tangent, maybe, but I thought it was relevant. It makes sense that you might rest while standing, and that it'd be totally effective, so long as you aren't just standing up as usual. Maybe a "takes a relaxed posture" echo would be more appropriate. Just a thought.

Stripped of? No.
I don't. I figure rest to be sitting down anyway, that is how I rest.

I don't feel better after leaning against something, my knees start to ache after a while of it.

Changed, maybe. But let's not drop it.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

When you are not doing anything, especially while in a relaxed position (such as leaning, sitting, or lying down, but surely also while standing in a relaxed way), you are "resting". When you get tired in real life, you take a breather--you don't necessarily sit right down on the ground. Considering that in-game you gain an amount of stamina very near to 0 (despite whatever miniscule gains you actually get, over the course of an hour or whatever), it makes sense to me that 'rest' be amended to be a very general change of position.

You don't have to agree, but then I'd expect more of an explanation than "That's how I rest!" Because I'm rather sure that, unless you're absolutely different from everyone else on the planet, you probably "rest" while standing, too.

But whatever, it's not that big of a deal. I believe it's acceptable to roleplay (emote/ldesc) resting as leaning against a post, or a kank, or a wall when resting. The coded change is not absolutely necessary.

Quote from: "Radioactive Age"you can regain it while standing, it is like real life though, dependant on how tired you are, where you are, and how much wind there is.

While that's true, I don't think you can say the degree to which it's set up is very realistic. As it is, taking it all IC and literal, you have to "stand up", even in an ideal setting (such as a shaded street or tavern) for something like half a day, just to catch your breath after being moderately winded. Standing around, even in poor circumstances, like hot sun and wind, should regain a fair amount of stamina, really--it should never drop down to the point of nearly no regeneration at all. Sure, it's challenging, but it's not realism anymore at that point.

I don't think it's that big of a deal, but it'd be nice to see some overhauls in the stamina code to reflect better realism. I'm not sure how anybody could defend the realism of the current state.

I really think that it should be easier to regain stamina. IG, I've sat in the grasses, and it's taken me twenty minutes to get 12 stamina. At home, say it's really hot outside, say, 30 degrees celsius. If I'm playing baseball, get really tired, and decide to take a break, I take a break for about five minutes before I can get right back up at full strength, and start playing again. I think this needs to be better represented in Zalanthas, it's -way- too hard to get a decent amount of stamina back, IMO.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

Quote from: "elvenchipmunk"I really think that it should be easier to regain stamina. IG, I've sat in the grasses, and it's taken me twenty minutes to get 12 stamina. At home, say it's really hot outside, say, 30 degrees celsius. If I'm playing baseball, get really tired, and decide to take a break, I take a break for about five minutes before I can get right back up at full strength, and start playing again. I think this needs to be better represented in Zalanthas, it's -way- too hard to get a decent amount of stamina back, IMO.

Now imagine it's 40 degrees celsius, you're wearing a leather-lined baseball uniform and a baseball cap made of leather-lined tortoiseshell. You have 40 pounds worth of stuff in a backpack hanging from your backpack, and your baseball field is in the middle of 2 square miles of 4-foot-deep sand.

Now tell me you need only 5 minutes before you can get back up at full strength.

Quote from: "Bestatte"
Quote from: "elvenchipmunk"I really think that it should be easier to regain stamina. IG, I've sat in the grasses, and it's taken me twenty minutes to get 12 stamina. At home, say it's really hot outside, say, 30 degrees celsius. If I'm playing baseball, get really tired, and decide to take a break, I take a break for about five minutes before I can get right back up at full strength, and start playing again. I think this needs to be better represented in Zalanthas, it's -way- too hard to get a decent amount of stamina back, IMO.

Now imagine it's 40 degrees celsius, you're wearing a leather-lined baseball uniform and a baseball cap made of leather-lined tortoiseshell. You have 40 pounds worth of stuff in a backpack hanging from your backpack, and your baseball field is in the middle of 2 square miles of 4-foot-deep sand.

Now tell me you need only 5 minutes before you can get back up at full strength.

I was exaggerating a little. And, in the four foot sands I think it's almost accurate the way it is, but my example was in the grasses, long grasses. And what if you have light armor? Not carrying much? Or, you're sitting down, and therefor the weight on your back wouldn't really matter.

I may have been a little crazy in saying five minutes, but still, I think that even if it's forty degrees outside, and there's some harsh sands, you should get more stamina back in twenty minutes than 12, or 20 or whatever, you should be getting back up to almost full. Of course, I've not much experience in the desert. But I still think the stamina system is too harsh, and it should be easier to regain.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

Well from my experience, there are a lot of factors that go into stamina regen. No actual knowledge of the code mind you - just personal experience with different PCs I've had.

1) If you're not in the shade, you're sitting, immovable, with the sun burning a hole in your head. If you're wearing a head cover, multiply the indirect heat under the cover by 5 and reduce the direct burn by 5. This SHOULD be distracting enough to slow down any chance of regen.

2) If you -are- in the shade, then consider the following criteria:

How long were you doing something OTHER than just sitting there, when you realized you needed to rest? Code-wise, this translates to, HOW low is your stamina now, anyway? If you've chosen to wait until you're under 30 stamina points, and your current max (with clothes) is over 150, then accept the fact that you're gonne be fucked for awhile.

If you were smart enough (or had the luxury of not being chased by a bad meanie thing) to take it easy in intervals, and rest before you get too far below 100, then you should be fine. In the shade. If you have water with you and aren't thirsty. Or injured. Or poisoned. And your wisdom or strength or whatever stat is needed is better than average.

You also have to take into account who you are, or rather who your character is.  Are you a delf ranger who has been making out with Suk-Krath since the day you were born, or some 'rinthi pickpocket who just decided it looked like a good day for a walk in the wilderness?  I wouldn't be suprised if your race, class and hometown had an affect on your regeneration rate.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Also, keep in mind that getting yourself down to less than 10% of your stamina is something that us in real life have NEVER done.  That is exhaustion on a level that we probably can not understand, being lazy computer users.  We probably never get below 75% of our stamina.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.