How to live a semi-long life.

Started by sarahjc, January 19, 2005, 08:15:16 AM

Never stop being afraid of death.

The moment you feel confident enough to think nothing will happen, you'll get bitten in the ass. It's almost guaranteed. ;)

One of my best characters aimed to kill any gith in sight without thinking in later stages of his life. He did it really well, killing at least a few giths every week. It was too easy job for him. I believed I could do that with my eyes closed. Then one day, a gith, kind of which he killed many, slayed him with two swift strikes.

Insomnia + ARM = New Character Application
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Hmmm, the bulk my experiences can be summed up as:

NPCs:

Poison bad.
AFK/Lag bad.
Falling bad.
Certain specific NPC critters bad.

PCs:

Sorcerers bad.

If you want to live long, at least with my playstyle, avoid these things.  Or be careful with these things.  Or run headlong into these things with an idea of how not to die.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Want to live a long life?

Don't participate in an RPT run by Halaster.  :wink:
'm not defined by what I did in my past-
but who I am in the present,
and who I will be in my future.
I choose to be defined by integrity. -A.W.

Be a non-combat character.   Merchant, diplomat, agent, templar, whatever.  

Be someone who has guards to die in your place, PC is good but NPC guards are better 'cause they don't have to train and they'll never drink your water up.  Won't defect and assassinate you, either.  

Don't live by the sword.  

You'll live forever.

Join the Byn. You'll get strong with a chance of living to old age if you play as a true mercenary.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Wall-dwellers: Hmm....uh....don't get bored and/or fed up with city-life, decide you've had enough damn training/errand-running/chores/whatever and walk out of the gates with the intent to get your next meal by killing the first animal that comes your way.

Wild-men/women:
1. Climb is your bestest friend in the whole wide world if you have it. ALWAYS make sure you or your kank enough stam at any time to run to the nearest wall/cliff/spire so you can bolt up it. I've gotten away from braxat many times and lived to tell the story with this trick.
2. Learn the locations of spots to rest that are indoors or have shade. ALWAYS keep in mind where the nearest spot like this is when out-and-about.
3. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, let the reigns of your kank go, unless it's to hand them to your VERY close friend while you take a nap.
4. Flee a fight if you have only half your stam left. Rest then try again.
5. Flee a fight if you have lost approx. half your hps left. There is a magic number that divides your character being able to "rest" and be able to heal up, and having to "sleep" and heal up. Figure out that number, and never let your character drop below it again.
6. Always carry at least 2 full skins every time you leave the gates. 3 if possible.
7. Always have an escape route in mind.
8. Hide is your next bestest friend in the whole wide world if you have it. Practice it well, grasshopper, and you may live to see another day.
9. Don't ever believe that just because "it" is close to dying that "it" won't get one last swipe at you for your remaining 32 hps before "it" goes down.
10. Don't delve too far into unknown territory. Take it in steps. A little at a time.

That said......I like rangers. They are fun. And hard to keep alive. :)

Quote from: "skeetdaddle"6. Always carry at least 2 full skins every time you leave the gates. 3 if possible.
I'd suggest something you learn in real life rather than this tactic.  I'm not saying don't bring along water, but water is heavy, slows you down, and in some places will get you taxed going back into the gates.  A wilderness survivalist will tell you that the best place to keep water is inside your body.  Drink your fill before going outside.
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

True, true. Forgot about the taxation thing and what-not. And it is better to drink your fill before you go, and have less to carry. I stand corrected. :)

Quote from: "skeetdaddle"True, true. Forgot about the taxation thing and what-not. And it is better to drink your fill before you go, and have less to carry. I stand corrected. :)

Great advice, though, Skeetdaddle. And across the board. I've been mulling the idea of my next character as a ranger (since I didn't get to play out my last one very long) and now I'm feeling a bit more confidence with his life expectancy.

Quote from: "Koala"Flurry, I can assure you that every single piece of danger is still there. If you ask me, your notion of danger was not unrealistic and those PCs who were telling you the dangers of wildlife told you the truth.

Yep, I didn't really do a good job of writing what I was thinking.  What I meant was that as a newbie, I thought that keeping a character alive for something like twenty days was extremely difficult and something you could only hope for after you know the game inside and out.  Well my second PC lived 25 days, and I realized that a little precaution can go a long way.  

My message made it seem like I was claiming that the world isn't all that harsh, which isn't what I meant.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon