Radical idea

Started by Anonymous, January 17, 2005, 10:55:16 AM

I believe that clans have a huge affect on the entire game.  So that is why I'll make this proposal.  Now, we've brought  up the ideas of closing all noble houses, merchant houses, non-city clans, parts of clans (so PCs are more closely connected ICly), and simply gaining more players.  I think I might have an idea how we could test one or some of these theories.  Is it feasible for us to "shut down" the game for a few weeks?  What if we put our current game on hold and had everyone created test PCs for a few weeks?  The clan ideas would be tested and at the end of the test the test PCs stored and life resumes as it was when we all left.  We could get some better perspective on these age old clan ideas.  No one would have to give up their current characters because no current PCs would be active and no drastic changes would happen to any current plans or plots.  We'd instantly have "more" players if during the test period there were no independent characters.

Shut down the game?  For a few weeks?!

Die.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

AK, I don't exactly understand what you're saying. But, if what you are saying is that we should
QuoteShut down the game? For a few weeks?!

Then all I have to say is
QuoteDie.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

I'm not saying close the game like no one can play.  
I'm saying to close our current game (its plots, characters, etc)  And open up a new game:  With temporary plots, temp characters, and temporary putting some of these new clan ideas into action.

The whole idea is to be able to test out some of these clan ideas, without jeopardizing the way we currently play.

Okay, I kind of understand what you're saying now I guess. But I think the game is fine the way it is (as in the ways of incorporating new codes). I also like the way the current plots and characters are. *shrugs*.

My opinion.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

Oh.  Okay.  Don't die.

I think the best way to do this is to open a second Arm game-port with different pfiles, and try it there.  Some plots can really get messy if they have to go on hold for three weeks, simply because people forget.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "Larrath"I think the best way to do this is to open a second Arm game-port with different pfiles, and try it there.  Some plots can really get messy if they have to go on hold for three weeks, simply because people forget.

I dont think this would work out. Both Arm versions would suffer from the player's inability to decide which one they want to spend their time on. And if the original Zalanthas was closed entirely in favor of the new version, you can be sure that half the playerbase would rant up a storm about it.

I don't think there is a strong enough reason to do something like this.

Closing the game for a few weeks or opening up another instance on another port  would have some pretty drastic ramifications for ongoing plots.

A lot happens in Arm in a RL week.  Coming back to the game plots would seem slightly stale.

An interesting experiment, however, even if did do this, I don't think you'd get a true result. I think just starting from scratch suddenly would result in an environment without context. Or rather, a very different experience than one would have joining clans with the mud up and running normally.
idhogg

Ask me if I'm a tree

What, no Arm, for a few weeks!! What!!

Nah, it's not a bad idea, just not a feasable one, I don't think.. But then again, I can't get my mind around how the pyriminds were built either.

I just think that emense amount of work would need the entire mud supporting it, most players and all staff. Because what you are suggesting would take a shit load of work. Just think about the application proccess alone. You would really need all hands digging in deep.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

We did the split the server cleverness on another mud.

Yeah, it's stupid.  It doesn't work.  You lose about 70% of your player base.  You loose all the old players who loved the old ways, you lose all the new players who'd just started to get into it, and you lose all those people who like the new fangled shit... until it's not new anymore.

Don't do it.  Worst thing Arm could ever decide to do other than publicly executing Halaster for being insensitive.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

hard to remove clans...... there always a group of people working together to inprove there wealth. it just means we all start with nothing and we build arma up

this would be intresting and make a more brutal game with every man for them selfs going on and no laws

You have to remember though, AK. Not all PCs are joined with clans. What would they be doing while everybody's trying this method out?

As for closing ARM for a few weeks?

Quote from: "CRW"I don't think there is a strong enough reason to do something like this.